Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I wonder if Gahanna would more fit the bill.
No. Gahanna has a small downtown area that's nice and it is growing, but outside of that, it's still basically a run of the mill suburb with too much sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
If there are two neighborhoods in the Cincinnati area that have been accused of having a stuck up yuppie vibe, it's often Mariemont and Wyoming. Don't get me wrong, they are nice neighborhoods, but really do not seem to fit what you are looking for.

Also, in an earlier post you mentioned how cramped you are in your current living situation. If that's a concern, then you can virtually write off Mariemont. The houses are older, with tons of character, but generally small, like English cottages. You won't find anything spacious in Mariemont.

Wyoming, on the other hand, you will find massive homes, from stately Victorians to mid-century mod executive homes.
Pickings in the OP's stated price range could be pretty slim in Wyoming, though. They sure wouldn't get anything "massive."

Old 12-24-2012, 02:03 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Pickings in the OP's stated price range could be pretty slim in Wyoming, though. They sure wouldn't get anything "massive."
From what the OP has indicated the hubby works from home and they are free to go anywhere in the state, the reason she posted in all three of the Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland forums.

With that kind of freedom, I would be thinking a little further out of the main cities. For example Wilmington, it certainly has a downtown and I would think you can walk much of it. Another would be Medina south of Cleveland. Amounts to how often do you actually go into the City versus what you want close to you for daily living.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:34 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
i'm wondering if lakewood near cleveland might fit the bill

Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i'm wondering if lakewood near cleveland might fit the bill
Although I like Cincinnatis urban core better, Cleveland definitely wins in having hip, diverse, walkable suburbs.

I'd say Clevelands' Cleveland Hts and Lakewood are basically direct counterparts to Chicagolands Oak Park and Evanston.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Although I like Cincinnatis urban core better, Cleveland definitely wins in having hip, diverse, walkable suburbs.

I'd say Clevelands' Cleveland Hts and Lakewood are basically direct counterparts to Chicagolands Oak Park and Evanston.

I think that is an accurate comparison.

I think that the Lakewood schools are slightly better and the crime situation and city services are a bit better in Lakewood.

Lakewood does nit have a lot of cultural events but is about a 20 minute drive to nearly anything in Cleveland.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
I am glad to see some of us are willing to say Cleveland may be a better choice for the OP due to their desires. Would I prefer Cleveland, Nope otherwise I would have moved there. But individual circumstances vary. Cleveland's topography is more conducive to the the development of suburbs with defined downtowns, permitting walkability. I would only question just how much walkability actually exists there.

But suggesting to the OP they check out certain sections of Cleveland to me is encouraging. It indicates to me not all of us in Cincinnati are close-minded isolationists who cannot see beyond our own boundaries.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Basically, what the original poster wants is something that doesn't exist in most cities. I am from Pittsburgh and this is a question that people reapedly ask. We have a couple of walkable suburbs/towns with great schools and we have a few city neighborhoods with very nice business districts. A lot of posters rave about city schools but for the most part those people have decided to live in the city regardless of the schools. I think city schools are okay if you are knowledgeable about them. The problem is that you aren't really that knowledgeable if you don't live in the city currently.

I would think that Mariemont or Bexley in Columbus would be the closest fit. I think realistically the poster wants a walkable town with great schools. Lets face it hipsters aren't exactly living in the burbs regardless of what city they call home.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
A lot of posters rave about city schools but for the most part those people have decided to live in the city regardless of the schools. I think city schools are okay if you are knowledgeable about them. The problem is that you aren't really that knowledgeable if you don't live in the city currently.
^^ Truth.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I would think that Mariemont or Bexley in Columbus would be the closest fit. I think realistically the poster wants a walkable town with great schools. Lets face it hipsters aren't exactly living in the burbs regardless of what city they call home.
And lets face it that hipsters aren't exactly big family people either. By the time people start having kids, their hip factor has expired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati