Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Although I like Cincinnatis urban core better, Cleveland definitely wins in having hip, diverse, walkable suburbs.

I'd say Clevelands' Cleveland Hts and Lakewood are basically direct counterparts to Chicagolands Oak Park and Evanston.
yeah, deffo seeing Cleveland Heights in this picture...moreso than Lakewood...but dont know the schools.

Yellow Springs seems a good fit, too...since hubby is working from home. This would be a good place with all the amenities except public transit. Wondering about other college towns like Oberlin or Gambier?

But interesting to seeing yr responses vis a vis Mariemont and Wyoming...esp Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 06:08 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
...the OP cites the East Side of Milwaulkee. This would be akin to Cilfton + the Hyde Park/Observetory/Obrienville/Grandin Road/Mount Lookout area...but like that all the way into downtown Milwaulkee....and with Lake Michigan as the border vs the Ohio River and its bluffs.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
I've lived in all 3 C cities in Ohio...in Cleveland, Lakewood or Cleve Hts make the most sense but if the OP can afford it, Shaker Hts has better schools than both and would be what she's looking for w/ a lot of walkable neighborhoods...and Shaker Square w/ a lot of restaraunts and coffes shops nearby...plus it's the only city (Cleveland) w/ mass transit and the Blue Line and Green Line Light Rail goes through Shaker Hts making getting to downtown a breeze...some other further out surburban towns that would work in Cleveland are Willoughby (a lot of subdivisions but has a nice little downtown), Chagrin Falls (my favorite community in Ohio and it has some hills around it too), Hudson (may be a little pricey though), Medina (has everything they're maybe looking for and is maybe 20-25 min drive to downtown...and i haven't spent much time in them but Rocky River and Bay Village and maybe Oberlin (college town that's very progressive) in the western suburbs maybe also work.
In Columbus, Gahanna does have a nice little growing downtown area but not a lot of walkable neighborhoods to it...Bexley is what the OP is looking for, but I am not sure if that price range will get anything there as it's a pretty exclusive community...parts of the older section of Worthington would work as would Grandview Heights...here in the Cincy area, as has been mentioned, the hills will make the scooter riding harder than normal and the hipper walkable neighborhoods are w/in the city of Cincinnati such as Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt Adams, Mt Lookout...but Loveland may offer some of what they are looking for but is a bit far from downtown...another option is maybe Montgomery???A little closer in and has a decent dt around the Montgomery Inn...Lebanon being further out is a good option too.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM

549 posts, read 849,013 times
Dear NicoleWh, I know Whitefish Bay VERY well. I worked at the Starbucks in downtown WB. Judging from your posts, it seems like you enjoy living up there, but you're actually more like Shorewood people than anything else. Am I right?

The very first place I thought of in terms of feel similar to WB is Wyoming, but they don't have as nice of a downtown and are nowhere near a health foods store. Mariemont is a nice community, but I fear you'll find it too stuffy. If you're able to make Cincinnati Public Schools work (which I think are great schools given the appropriate parenting) I would look into Oakley.

After reading the entire thread, I think Oakley has the perfect mix that you're looking for and it's not terribly expensive. It's a short scooter ride to Fresh Market, or Whole Foods. Easy highway access. A nice, walkable downtown with great little shops for kids and adults. Plus, Hyde Park Square is not far away either. (I'd say Oakley shopping is similar to Shorewood, and Hyde Park is similar to Whitefish Bay...but with far more shops)

I definitely urge you to move to Cincinnati though. It's a GREAT cities for kids. And with it's strong German heritage, you'll find some similarities to Milwaukee.

Also, Whitefish Bay has a strong Jewish population. If you find yourself needing that connection, the strong Jewish area in Cincy is Amberley, Kenwood, and Deer Park. (You wont find any nice little neighborhood shopping districts out there though.) Good luck!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Mariemont, Terrace Park, Old Milford on the SE side.

Blue Ash and Montgomery on the NE.

Oxford on the west.

Great scooter town: Scootcincinnati.com and Metro Scooter.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Hyde Park, Oakley and Mount Lookout closer to the city; Montomery further out; Oxford further out still.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Hyde Park, Oakley and Mount Lookout closer to the city; Montomery further out; Oxford further out still.
So this is the best you can muster based on the OP's preferences? For what they expressed, Cleveland is far and away better than Cincinnati, with Columbus a close second. As much as I love Cincinnati, trying to make it fit everyone's lifestyle just doesn't get it.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 AM

549 posts, read 849,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
So this is the best you can muster based on the OP's preferences? For what they expressed, Cleveland is far and away better than Cincinnati, with Columbus a close second. As much as I love Cincinnati, trying to make it fit everyone's lifestyle just doesn't get it.

Trust me, I spent 2 years working in Whitefish Bay, the OP's town, and Cincinnati has MUCH more of what they're used to and looking for than Cleveland or Columbus.

I vote Oakley...maybe Pleasant Ridge...but definitely Oakley.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Then, while we're at it, let's just go ahead and suggest Boulder, Colo., or Portland, Ore., which fit the OP's criteria to a tee.

This is the Cincinnati forum. Call me crazy, but I'm assuming the OP is looking for Cincinnati suggestions here, not Cleveland and Columbus. Since this question was posed on those other two forums, I'm sure there are ample suggestions highlighting those cities there. But, hey, do what you gotta do, brill. Keep stoking the fires.

And frankly, I doubt you're at all familiar with Cleveland and/or Columbus today, let alone Whitefish Bay, Wis. ... You're barely familiar with Cincinnati.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Then, while we're at it, let's just go ahead and suggest Boulder, Colo., or Portland, Ore., which fit the OP's criteria to a tee.

This is the Cincinnati forum. Call me crazy, but I'm assuming the OP is looking for Cincinnati suggestions here, not Cleveland and Columbus. Since this question was posed on those other two forums, I'm sure there are ample suggestions highlighting those cities there. But, hey, do what you gotta do, brill. Keep stoking the fires.

And frankly, I doubt you're at all familiar with Cleveland and/or Columbus today, let alone Whitefish Bay, Wis. ... You're barely familiar with Cincinnati.
Yes, they did post the same question in all 3-C forums. They had some specific criteria they were looking for. Trying to cram everyone into the same bag is a fault of this forum. Certain specific desires make other places in Ohio fit the bill. While we have a lot to offer it doesn't fit every circumstance. I am willing to at least admit Cleveland and Columbus have a lot to offer which is why people live there. Keep your blinders on thinking we satisfy everyone's desires. That type of thinking is why people outside of Cincinnati consider us as hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati