Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,270,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree Tom. The owner decided to retire and wants to sell the property, as is his right. Suddenly the preservationists attempt to get a historical designation to stop him. Glad to see City Council denied that as a violation of the owner's rights. It was definitely too little too late. I have some fond rememberances of visiting the establishment while a student at UC, but that was over 50 years ago. The last time I was there was over 25 years ago when my son was attending UC. But nostalgia only goes so far. When I read the building would require $2 million in repairs to keep standing that was enough for me. It is time for the wrecking ball.

And you are correct UC is its own economy as it well should be. Student housing is not intended to win design awards. By its very nature it needs to be quite spartan and affordable. And college students are not known for their diligence in caring for property, perhaps the opposite. So the construction needs to be of commercial retail quality to absorb the abuse.

To say these buildings should be worked around with the development I have only one remark - who is going to pay the bill to restore them?
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,311,237 times
I feel sorry for the current crop of UC students. The region south of campus on Calhoun and McMillan is incredibly sterile and boring compared to 10 years ago. Seriously, what 21 year old would trade Christy's, the Library, Inn the Wood, Big Red's, Acropolis Chili, and the other interesting and inexpensive places for the overpriced crapfest of mall chain stores and food court like restaurants.

At the same time, Short Vine isn't all that popular either. CUF is simply not a destination for entertainment anymore. Weekend nights there is a huge exodus of college students leaving campus and going to Mt. Adams, Mt. Lookout, Downtown, Hyde Park, Oakley, and NKy.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I feel sorry for the current crop of UC students. The region south of campus on Calhoun and McMillan is incredibly sterile and boring compared to 10 years ago. Seriously, what 21 year old would trade Christy's, the Library, Inn the Wood, Big Red's, Acropolis Chili, and the other interesting and inexpensive places for the overpriced crapfest of mall chain stores and food court like restaurants.

At the same time, Short Vine isn't all that popular either. CUF is simply not a destination for entertainment anymore. Weekend nights there is a huge exodus of college students leaving campus and going to Mt. Adams, Mt. Lookout, Downtown, Hyde Park, Oakley, and NKy.
U-Square at the Loop is crowded everytime I go by there, and that's nearly daily. My bet on Short Vine is that with new housing, and new businesses opening, it will slowly start to creep back. I agree that McMillan is no longer a night life destination, at least not in the sense of Main Street, Mt Adams, etc. But the bars that are there are certainly hopping with college kids. Uncle Woodys, Murphys, Macs. And now there are several more at U-Square.

Personally, I think college age kids will love the shopping mall feel of U-Square.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,857,719 times
Quote:
If you think that is reality, then I believe the current student loan program is way overcompensated. If they can afford those destinations something is definitetly wrong with our financing of higher education.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If you think that is reality, then I believe the current student loan program is way overcompensated. If they can afford those destinations something is definitetly wrong with our financing of higher education.
Many of them get credit cards from their parents. I know this from one of the bigger landlords in CUF.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 AM

477 posts, read 667,045 times
Quote:
Personally, I think college age kids will love the shopping mall feel of U-Square.
I personally was a College kid when I saw TUC go from having a locally run place Mr. Jims to being a shopping mall enviornment. I had heard before TUC was a hunting lodge like environment, I think I would have preferred it how it was earlier. I also got to see a good chunk of CUF leveled only to be replaced by a grassy field due to poor planning and financial issues. U Square is good now, but the development shouldn't have been done superblock style, it should have been resized to fit into the non fast food development that was there to begin with. Financing should have been more secure as to prevent the mess they had with the empty field laying fallow for years where there was once an active commercial district. It was disgusting all the way around.

I was really looking forward to living in Cincy at the end of High School, and part of the appeal to me was the character of the neighborhoods around the University - this is now much diminished and its tremendously sad . I had read stuff like this happened on mass in the 60s, and was wondering what were they thinking... I didn't think it was still going on.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,311,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post

Bleh. The whole U-square thing looks like it is being pitched to teens rather than adults. This probably makes sense since most undergraduates are under 21 and the ultimate goal is to make it appeal to them when they are 18 so that they enroll. Still, it is hard to see the edginess and character get washed out so quickly, especially for someone that used to live and socialize there for quite a few years.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Bleh. The whole U-square thing looks like it is being pitched to teens rather than adults. This probably makes sense since most undergraduates are under 21 and the ultimate goal is to make it appeal to them when they are 18 so that they enroll. Still, it is hard to see the edginess and character get washed out so quickly, especially for someone that used to live and socialize there for quite a few years.
I hear you, and totally understand. No doubt U-Square will be successful. I'm sure their Site Search Executive knew what to market for the area. Personally, I will probably never patronize any of the shops there, but they seem to be staying busy.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 PM

549 posts, read 851,523 times
U Square will be a huge success, no doubt in my mind. But sitting in Keystone the other night I couldn't help but feel like its a completely different neighborhood. I think a lot of the old "Clifton" has moved down to Northside, but yeah...it's a testament to how much a building can affect a neighborhood. For the first time last week I heard long time residents call the neighborhood Uptown instead of Clifton.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:47 PM

682 posts, read 1,633,382 times
Quote:
The CPA is terrible. I'm just going to put it right out there. They should have been the ones going around doing this kind of work ahead of time.

Agreed! CPA functions as "little old lady red hat society", made up of socialites and architects hoping get some crumbs. They could care less about preservation of anything other than Architect designed home by famous local dead people and mid century Modernist architecture. They restore a few 'trophy' houses from time to time but thats about it.

Look at the recent EPIC fails: A whole city block in Corryville, Glencoe, the Oakley train station, the Gamble House. CPA is pretty much a laughing stock nationally in the preservation community after the Gamble house was demoed.

CPA is afraid to take on the city for fear of 'ruffling feathers" or upsetting their donors. If it hadn't been for Knox Hill Neighborhood Association filing a federal complaint with HUD in 2009, the city would still be getting away with demo using CDBG funds without doing Federal Section 106 reviews. It forced the city to revisit everything on the demo list and fortunately it bought some time for some of those houses being saved by Preservationists (mostly out of staters who have moved here). The city will demo 600 houses this year and MOST of them would be stabilized or restored in any other city.

I can tell you that there is an active group of preservationists from all acrioss the city (fed up with CPA) who are actively working on putting together a new preservation organization in 2014, that will be: 1.) Preservation Focused, 2.) work with neighborhood groups city wide on getting property stabilized, and 3.) Not be afraid to take the city to court to stop senseless demolitions. and 4.) be pro-active and encourage preservation designation of neighborhoods the city seems intent on bulldozing

Cincinnati DESERVES a real preservation organization that understands that a small cottage is just as important as a grand mansion and both deserve to be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati