Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM

800 posts, read 951,019 times

Advertisements

>Jake, do you happen to know what Columbus' parking requirements are?

No. Columbus does have the "advantage" of having far fewer historic buildings, and it doesn't have a multi-unit area like OTR. Victorian Village and German Village are fantastic historic areas, but comprised almost entirely of single-family homes. OTR is costing a huge amount of public money and political capital to renovate, and the whole cause of its deterioration was the scrapping of the subway project and the streetcar system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:23 PM

477 posts, read 664,610 times
^-Still areas like around the University and in Northside where some of the crapitecture is being proposed aren't that much different than Short North. I don't know if I made this clear, but that's where the Wood Co building is - a fine example of infill. While that part of Cbus does have higher property values than Cincy does, its not at an unattainable value like NYC is - where even a completely gentrified Cincy won't be that expensive. Short North is probably the most Cincy-like Columbus neighborhood.

OTR is a completely different animal, but at least they have the financial muscle of 3CDC behind them and their infill is of somewhat better quality (with even a few really great examples despite the turd they did at Vine and Central parkway).

Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,401 times
Does anyone know when demo will begin?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Here we go again! Though this time there aren't as great a buildings there, I'm still worried about what the final product is going to look like.

http://www.building-cincinnati.com/2...-160-unit.html

Last edited by neilworms2; 08-12-2013 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 04:31 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Here we go again! Though this time there aren't as great a buildings there, I'm still worried about what the final product is going to look like.

Building Cincinnati: Council approves plan for 160-unit Corryville apartment, townhouse development
So long as they don't demo Bogart's. Most of what is on Short Vine is tattoo parlors and bodegas. I've often wondered how it has escaped gentrification this long.

The only real casualty of this proposed project looks to be Martino's on Vine. Hopefully they can find a new location near campus. Would really be a sad situation if the under 21 crowd had nowhere to get served a pitcher on a Thursday night now that Big Red's is no more.

Anyone else surprised at the number of bars that are being demo'd? Tavern 277 is gone, Big Red's is gone, Christy's and Martino's look to be getting the axe too. Students will be limited to what, In The Wood and Mac's and perhaps Daniel's Pub? Slim pickin' and little chance UC makes the annual list of top party schools with that line up.

Last edited by Zen_master; 08-12-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 05:46 PM

4,483 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Anyone else surprised at the number of bars that are being demo'd? Tavern 277 is gone, Big Red's is gone, Christy's and Martino's look to be getting the axe too. Students will be limited to what, In The Wood and Mac's and perhaps Daniel's Pub? Slim pickin' and little chance UC makes the annual list of top party schools with that line up.
Actually, there is Adriatico's, Uncle Woody's, Baba Budan's, Mac's Pizza Pub, Keystone bar and Grill, Murphy's Pub, Daniels, Dive Bar, Mad Frog, The Saint Clair, and The Brass Tap. I may be missing one or two, but there is hardly a dearth of things to do uptown. Personally, I've seen the Clifton Crowd work their way down to Main Street - Neons, MOTR Pub, etc. Not to mention Mount Adams. As I understand it, the old days had the night life concentrated on Short Vine, and McMillan Calhoun Streets. Now there seem to be a lot of options with NKY, Mount Adams, OTR, Clifton, Short Vine, and Gaslight.

My prediction for Short Vine is once you have more of UC's target demographic in the area, then you will get more investment in bars and restaurants, etc. You have to have the people there first to spur investment in the many vacant spaces along Short Vine.

Last edited by TomJones123; 08-12-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Those kids could care less. More and more of them are migrating to OTR, especially on Main Street.
I hope they have the parent's credit card to pay for these bills. My kids knew better than that. If these kids parents have no better judgment, then plaster them to to the wall.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I hope they have the parent's credit card to pay for these bills. My kids knew better than that. If these kids parents have no better judgment, then plaster them to to the wall.
21 and over puts most of these kids right about the average age (22) for finishing undergraduate programs at UC. Whether they have CC, or work jobs, or coast on their student loans, these kids are hardly going to stay home.

I agree with you to a point on this topic. Under age drinking should not occur in bars, or at all for that matter. But these kids know how to get kegs, 30 packs galore, and whatever else to raise all kinds of hell in their house parties. Personally, I would rather have my brother's situation. He works and provides his own disposable income. No CC from my folks for him.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 PM

^-TBH I think the drinking age should be set back to 18, gives you more time to experiment before you have to become a responsible adult.

Quote:
The only real casualty of this proposed project looks to be Martino's on Vine. Hopefully they can find a new location near campus. Would really be a sad situation if the under 21 crowd had nowhere to get served a pitcher on a Thursday night now that Big Red's is no more.
Actually none of the business district will be demoed it looks like (always be cautious though). This isn't the worst, there is maybe one townhouse that probably should have been saved and that's it. All I ask for here is better design, not even better materials, just better design.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
^-TBH I think the drinking age should be set back to 18, gives you more time to experiment before you have to become a responsible adult.
Drinking age notwithstanding, there is plenty to experiment with in spite of a stupid law that let's a person die for his country at 18, but not legally consume alcohol. To be perfectly clear how I feel about it. However, when speaking of establishments that serve alcohol, I am in favor of not serving under age drinkers. Far worse happens at un-supervised house parties, with under age drinkers - they are getting more experimentation than they need..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati