Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 PM

477 posts, read 664,551 times

Advertisements

Yeah, pretty much tons of people ignore the law anyways. Its kind of stupid, how did they ever force it through, was MADD that powerful a force back then (this was before my time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 AM

800 posts, read 950,919 times
Nothing on Short Vine is being demolished for this project. This project is on the same block but from the alley-turned-parking lot east to Euclid. A building site measuring approximately 200x400.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:45 AM

800 posts, read 950,919 times
>I hope they have the parent's credit card to pay for these bills. My kids knew better than that. If these kids parents have no better judgment, then plaster them to to the wall.

The neo-landed gentry want their kids to be cool. They want their kids to think that they're cool. Of course the credit card is always there, ready to party.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:05 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,271 times
Any body physically closer to this situation have an update? Curious if title has been transferred yet and when demolition is scheduled to begin. Thanks

Old 09-05-2013, 12:35 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Fear not for Martino's. Its proprietors (the Angiulli [sp?] family) are not only four-square behind Corryville's "urban removal," they're part of a group spearheading it. Delve deep enough in the media archives and you'll see. Their consortium has proposed still more building clearance to make way for apartments, restaurants/retail, and a cineplex right on Short Vine. It would be around and north of the University Ave intersection. The plan calls for Martino's to be an anchor of the new, undoubtedly brick-box or concrete-cube, development. (Their present-day tavern is on the east side of Vine between University and Corry, so its building would stay as is. And so would Bogart's and The Cupboard.)
For now I just wish somebody could get around to uprooting and removing those gawd-awful blue and red steel arches over Vine St. Once upon a time they must have served as a good-times beacon of sorts when their lights were cut on at night. With Short Vine's Party Central reputation now only a memory, the arches with their faded paint are eyesores and nothing more. They have zero aesthetic merit and little historical significance.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
CPA is pretty much a laughing stock nationally in the preservation community after the Gamble house was demoed...
Cincinnati DESERVES a real preservation organization that understands that a small cottage is just as important as a grand mansion and both deserve to be saved.
Gamble House demolition underway in Westwood - Local News Story

OMFG!!! This had somehow escaped my eagle eye. The horror!!! I'm still PTSD over Xavier's "stealth" destruction of the Theda Bara villa too. But losing the Gamble House is egregious. Now I'm stressing anew about the fate of some other architectural gems in town that are in "bad" areas and sitting vacant needing repair. In the interest of keeping this thread somewhat on track I won't go into more detail here.

Yes, Boston became renowned for the wrong reasons after "slum clearance" destroyed an entire neighborhood in favor of drab high-rises. And there's that famously ugly City Hall with its concrete inverted-Aztec-pyramid look to not gloat about as well. But nobody here in the 21st Century ever has to wake up to the news that a beloved house was knocked down in the dead of night. Suburban mall equivalent though they may have largely become, Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market were at least left intact rather than bulldozed. And we've kept our cherished Fenway Park while a certain city leveled their original ball yard and went on to construct not one but two generic monstrosities. (New Year's Eve in 2002 would not have been the same without the Riverfront Stadium implosion. ) The rest I'll save for the City vs City forum.

RIP Lenhardt's. Glad to have known ya.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 AM

549 posts, read 848,638 times
Restorationconsultant was mentioning that he's working with others on forming a new local preservation organization. A welcome addition to the city. After the loss of the Gamble House and Glencoe, people are PISSED at the work the Cincinnati Preservation Association is doing.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,271 times
Just popping in to learn if anyone has heard if they are breaking ground on the demo of the Moerlein Mansion. I've got a stake in this thing and if it comes down I need to salvage something.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Seems like people complain about tearing down a historic home. But once it is clear it is going to happen interest drops off. Then things seem to languish forever as all the financials are worked out. Suddenly you hear one day they brought a crane in and leveled the place. If you have a vested interest I suggest contacting the developer and ask them what is going on.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Seems like people complain about tearing down a historic home.
I am not sure it's historic, though it is old. The city denied the historic designation which was being used to prevent the property owner from selling his own property. Personally, I am glad it was denied. The owners should have the option to sell what they own if the choose. If it was already declared historic then I would feel different. I may not be the biggest fan of all the new development in CUF, but I have to admit it's the way things are going in CUF. U-Square isn't my cup of tea, but at the same time the place is freaking packed during the weekend and also has a steady flow of patrons during the week. If it helps UC to grow, provides better housing than some of the crap in Clifton Heights, and continues to stabilize the neighborhood then I am all for it. Even if Christy's is demolished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati