Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Put another bridge and keep the existing bridge to handle the increased flow of traffic. Then rename it.
Hey, where did you get that idea?

I have looked at some of the proposals for building an entirely new bridge of an eye-appealing single deck design so we have a magnificent entrance into Cincinnati. Just a few problems. You keep the existing bridge operating until the new one is finished - right? So where is the land this new bridge will be built on? A single span to handle more traffic than the current bridge, how many lanes wide do you think it would have to be?

Build a second bridge parallel to the existing one, using the same basic design, one which is proven in its load carrying capacity. The idea is functionality. As a mechanical engineer I feel the Brent Spence is beautiful because it serves its intent - carry traffic. If you want some other symbol of the City then get the funding and build it, but the bridge is not it.

I would put the new bridge downriver from the current one. The Ohio side is not really a problem since there is little of any value in its way. The Ky side may represent more of a challenge due to the hillside. If necessary create a man-made tunnel to route the traffic up to the cut-in-the-hill.

Like everything else there always has to be a plan on how to get from here to there. With bridges that can become acute. For an actual replacement, you have the problem of keeping the existing bridge operating until the replacement is completed. In this case I do not see a practical way of doing it. A totally new replacement for the Brent Spence requires so much land on each side of the river to build it. That land simply does not exist without drastic costs and effects on the region.

My proposal is one of augmentation. Yes, build a new bridge the purpose of which is to carry the through traffic for the interstates. Make the existing bridge carry the load for local traffic, those people who daily go across the river to work, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
my alternative to the toll proposal is do nothing. last time i checked nobody is getting stuck on either side of the river. we've got like 6 bridges in and around downtown. do the toll. if you don't want to pay it, use one of the other bridges.

it is maybe a regional or national priority, but for that amount of money you could do far, far more to help the city and the metropolitan region.

maybe we should spend 2.5 billion expanding anderson ferry. imagine what we could do!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
my alternative to the toll proposal is do nothing. last time i checked nobody is getting stuck on either side of the river. we've got like 6 bridges in and around downtown.
That may be true, but the Brent Spence is definitely overloaded and has been for some time. Just ignoring it will not make the problem go away. We need a solution - the question is what is the most practical? But many politiceans have little regard for practical solutions.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
That may be true, but the Brent Spence is definitely overloaded and has been for some time. Just ignoring it will not make the problem go away. We need a solution - the question is what is the most practical? But many politiceans have little regard for practical solutions.
i think the problem is overstated. it isn't like the bridge is crumbling. it just doesn't meet so-called modern standards of traffic. but one trip around the newest exurbs tells me modern road standards are crazy overkill.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
I use the Brent Spence twice a month at miimum, to and from KY. The bridge approach from the Ohio side is impossible.

Always a crapshoot for being stuck in traffic in a big traffic jam waiting to get across the bridge....well...not really a crapshoot because the only time there isnt a hassle is at odd hours. Like 6 AM on Saturday. The Brent Spence is one of the almost gauranteed bottlenecks.

I find myself working around it....I sometimes get off and wind my way through that Queensgate area to get across at the C&O bridge then throug Convington to get back on I-75. Or I have to go out of my way to cross the Big Mac Bridge and head through Newport to catch the beltway to I-75 and continue south.

Brent Spence is a royal PitB.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Put a toll on the current bridge and bank the cash. Traffic should be reduced and people will be more inclined to find alternate transit.

If it becomes necessary to build a new bridge in the future then we'll at least have real data rather than revenue projections to go by.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 AM

800 posts, read 951,721 times
As usual Kjbrill ignores my post. I have been attending meetings and writing articles on this bridge project for nearly 10 years. I have had numerous conversations with Fred Craig, the head engineer at Parsons-Brinkerhoff. He also designed the Fort Washington Way rebuild, which included elements that anticipated this bridge. I have also had conversations with numerous other figures involved in this project.

Kjbrill, how can I keep proving you to be a totally and completey uninformed person, and you keep coming back with more of your total nonsense. How do I keep being labeled the evil one by these moderators when over and over again you make yourself look like a total fool. You have all day to research this stuff but never do. You just ride your emotional impulses.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
No point in tearing down the bridge if it is structurally sound and will be for years to come. That is a waste of taxpayer dollars. Eminent domain, while distasteful especially when used for private interests would be the best way to facilitate development of an adjacent bridge to the existing Brent Spence bridge. Highway lanes could be added to feed each bridge and handle the increased volume.

The idea to build another bridge further down river is also a good idea. I am shocked that there only seems to be 3 bridges in the area to get from OH to KY and vice versa. Should be four or five really with the amount of traffic and population density in the area especially since NKY is seeing population growth.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I am shocked that there only seems to be 3 bridges in the area to get from OH to KY and vice versa.
Seven, not counting the Purple People Bridge; five, not counting the I-275 bridges:

I-471 (Big Mac)
Central Bridge (whatever it's called now ... Taylor-Southgate?)
Suspension Bridge
Clay Wade Bailey Bridge
Brent Spence Bridge

Add the Anderson Ferry, and that's eight total auto crossings in the metro area, with five of them downtown.

If the Brent Spence is ever tolled, local traffic will avoid it. Which may or may not be a good thing.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
How do I keep being labeled the evil one by these moderators when over and over again
Hi jmecklenborg--

Oh, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg
Kjbrill, how can I keep proving you to be a totally and completey uninformed person
Quote:
you make yourself look like a total fool.
Quote:
Kjbrill, you are so typical of the old Cincinnatians who wanted to tear everything down so they could just go sit and watch TV and get fat in the suburbs.
(link)
Quote:
Kjbrill, you are wrongModerator cut: personal
(here)

Since your favorite target seems to be Brill, I thought I'd pull up a few of your past posts and see why the Mod's must think you're the evil one.

I've never seen Brill resort to name-calling. I've never called anyone a direct name, and the majority of the posters here on both sides of the issue haven't resorted to name-calling either. I hope you can add two and two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati