Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 AM

800 posts, read 951,019 times

Advertisements

It's not of national importance. As I've tried to tell people, the Brent Spence Bridge mostly carries commuters and local delivery trucks. Its importance in the national transportation network is minimal even before the three other interstate highway crossings within a ten-mile radius are considered. Much more freight crosses the river on the C&O and Cincinnati Southern railroad bridges anyway.

The bottom line: If the Brent Spence Bridge collapsed into the river, it would cause practically zero effect on transportation across the United States. Sure, it would be an inconvenience here for commuters and delivery trucks, but there are three other highway bridges and two double-track railroad bridges that are crossed by more people and more stuff every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
It's not of national importance. As I've tried to tell people, the Brent Spence Bridge mostly carries commuters and local delivery trucks. Its importance in the national transportation network is minimal even before the three other interstate highway crossings within a ten-mile radius are considered. Much more freight crosses the river on the C&O and Cincinnati Southern railroad bridges anyway.

The bottom line: If the Brent Spence Bridge collapsed into the river, it would cause practically zero effect on transportation across the United States. Sure, it would be an inconvenience here for commuters and delivery trucks, but there are three other highway bridges and two double-track railroad bridges that are crossed by more people and more stuff every day.
Jmecklenborg, next time you're on I-75 count the number of Canadian-based trucks as well as the number of MI & TN-based trucks that run North & South on I-75. I-75 is a vital link in the NAFTA supply line as well as the longest North South interstate to the West of I-95. Even I deliver to Louisville & Lexington via the B.S. bridge. Most truckers are paid by the mile. The extra 20 miles around the West side of I-275 would be a hit in the wallet for truckers like me since I cross the B.S. 3-5 times a week. Some cross many more times per week. perhaps we should take away the railroad subsidies. But that's a whole 'nother thread...

Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
There is virtually no time of the day, seven days a week, that I can cross the Brent Spence without seeing long distance highway trucks. But I can't remember when I last saw a train on the C&O railroad bridge.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
^ There are 100+ car trains. lol And each car holds more volume than any truck trailor.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
There is virtually no time of the day, seven days a week, that I can cross the Brent Spence without seeing long distance highway trucks. But I can't remember when I last saw a train on the C&O railroad bridge.
When was the last time you crossed the Brent Spence? I see trains moving, and being built all the time outta the Queensgate rail yard. What ever are you talking about?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
I can't remember the last time I went that way WITHOUT seeing a train on the C&O bridge or the viaduct.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
I can't remember the last time I went that way WITHOUT seeing a train on the C&O bridge or the viaduct.
Brill has allowed rail to somehow be universally demonized in his point of view, and infinitely inferior to anything with rubber tires on asphalt.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Nope. Just dumbfounded that this project, with all its national importance and high level of appropriateness a la the FHA, was not addressed in the $831 billion ARRA bill and looking for rationale as to why. Somehow Congress is able to push through major overhauls like gun control, the PATRIOT Act, Obamacare, TARP, etc. in a matter of weeks or months yet this project can't be dealt with in a timely manner.
No need to be dumbfounded; it's as simple as this: The project was not shovel-ready.

And still isn't.

The nation's economy won't collapse if the Brent Spence does.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM

Jmecklenborg, next time you're on I-75 count the number of Canadian-based trucks as well as the number of MI & TN-based trucks that run North & South on I-75.

Yeah, it's usually 0. Zero. As in there are absolutely zero trucks that originated in Canada or are heading there on the bridge at any particular moment.

The entire province of Ontario has 12 million people, roughly the same as Ohio or Michigan. The idea that trucks are rolling, one after another, on some magical silk road from Toronto and Montreal to Mexico was just the highway lobby's excuse to build more highways in the US that are used overwhelmingly for local and regional use.

To put it more bluntly -- the New York City metro area alone has TWICE the population of Toronto and Montreal put together. Most of the trucks crossing the bridge every day are traveling anywhere from 50-250 miles, not over 1,000. Cincinnati is the southernmost edge of the heavily populated Great Lakes region. Kentucky and Tennessee combined don't have the population of Ohio. There is not a big city between Cincinnati and Florida (which is a high population state) except for Atlanta. And where do all those huge trains of "Triple Crown" trailers crossing the Southern Railroad bridge all day long originate? That's right, Atlanta -- and they're on their way to Michigan.

So people can keep getting fooled by the propaganda (the trucking industry loves to self-congratulated itself -- just listen to the Trucking Bozo hype it all up every night) or they can demand answers as to why all this lying is necessary to build a case for this bridge project.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM

Here is footage of one of the Triple Crown trailer trains crossing the Cincinnati Southern Railroad bridge. Again, these trains originate in Atlanta and run express to Michigan:

Conrail (NS) Heritage 8098 returns to Cincinnati on the northbound Triple Crown - YouTube

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a dozen of these trains per day, I seem to see them every time I'm over in that area. Anyway, this footage absolutely destroys the folklore surrounding the Brent Spence Bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati