Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,958,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You should start hanging out in Warren County more often!

Oregonia, OK, but Franklin has two exits on I-75. Maybe even three.
You know, now that you say that I can picture the exit signs. I do know exactly where it is! I should check it out sometime, you're right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,197,242 times
Little River Inn in Oregonia is a sort of neat spot, since they have that big deck and indoor-outdoor bar, and live music in the summer.

@@@

Franklin is pretty briar isnt it? I remember it from years ago when one of my co-workers, who knew I was into bluegrass, told me to check out Lakes' Jewlers. Turns out this jewlrey store had a little corner devoted to bluegrass music albums (back then still vinyl). Main Street does have that good-old-boy vibe, no?

Then, later in time, I would go with some buddies from work to hear these bluegrass shows at a bingo parlor in that industrial park made up of Butler buildings rigth off I-75. This was actually a nice venue since they had a no-drinking policy, so maybe less rowdy than one would expect.

Still, for me its sort of a good destination cycling in from Miamisburg. Mansions along the river are cool (Franklin probably has the most attractive riverfront due to this mansion/street/park~~~River~~~park/street/mansion set-up, without a big levee marring the view)

Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,579,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
From the perspective of a person living in an average city neighborhood

Oregonia - never heard of it
Waynesville - quaint small town, summer festival
Franklin - never heard of it
Lebanon - sprawl but with a good heart. a nearly impossible commute to downtown

I'm no Lebanon cheerleader (I'm fairly neutral about Lebanon), but its not really sprawl. Sure, its got some new neighborhoods (actually most of those are in TurtleCreek township, or one of the other mega townships), but as county seat with its own downtown - it really does function as its own little city more than typical suburban sprawl would lead you to believe.

As far as commuting from Lebanon to downtown (Cinci, I presume?) - as a daily work commute - it would totally depend on the time of day. If you enjoy flex time, where you can be at work at a early hour (and consequently leave early) - the commute could literally be a breeze. I can get from I-71 (exit 32) to fountain square in 28 minutes, in non-rush hour.

Of course if its during rush hour, well then it will suck. But such is the life of any commuter in any metropolitan area during rush hour.

Now, I realize that commuting more than 15 miles is not as popular here as it was in my prior metropolitan area (Detroit Metro), but even so -- living in Lebanon hardly means you are cut off from the city in any way, if you choose not to be.

Very quick to go down to Findlay Market, catch a show at the Aronoff, or a game at Great American.

Similarly, since Lebanon is nearly dead between Dayton and Cinci - it is a quick commute up to Dayton for events at the Nutter Center, or an exhibit at Wright-Patt, or whatever else interests you.

That said - Lebanon is a fairly conservative place (as is all Warren County), so whether or not its your cup of tea depends solely on what you are comfortable with. But calling it sprawl and suggesting it is too far to commute to downtown are both really subjective statements that I would tend to disagree with.

(if you're a city dweller who bikes to work, then pretty much anything North of the lateral is going to be too far to commute -- perspective is key)

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 AM

42,017 posts, read 75,434,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
living in Lebanon hardly means you are cut off from the city in any way, if you choose not to be.
Most of the friends I made in Lebanon who were not natives but who stayed anyway, did so for the flexibility of the commute -- they could accept jobs in Dayton or Cincinnati or anywhere between and still have a reasonable trip to work in the morning.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,710,071 times
Quote:
I'm no Lebanon cheerleader (I'm fairly neutral about Lebanon), but its not really sprawl. Sure, its got some new neighborhoods (actually most of those are in TurtleCreek township, or one of the other mega townships), but as county seat with its own downtown - it really does function as its own little city more than typical suburban sprawl would lead you to believe.

Similarly, since Lebanon is nearly dead between Dayton and Cinci - it is a quick commute up to Dayton for events at the Nutter Center, or an exhibit at Wright-Patt, or whatever else interests you.

That said - Lebanon is a fairly conservative place (as is all Warren County), so whether or not its your cup of tea depends solely on what you are comfortable with. But calling it sprawl and suggesting it is too far to commute to downtown are both really subjective statements that I would tend to disagree with.
Lebanon is NOT sprawl. Sprawl is Landen, and the finger of sprawl of South Lebanon, and that's as far as sprawl now gets. Lebanon has a gap there and a few years to go before it gets swallowed up by South Lebanon development.

I am happy that San Mar Gale died an early death for just that reason - Lebanon is one part of the tri-state that is sprawl-free. There's lots of great suburbs for people to live in South Lebanon, Landen and Mason, and there is no reason to splatter more housing in a scenic rural area.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM

Meh.

I was excited about San Mar Gale - because it promised a small shopping area with restaurants/salons/etc..

Since Lebanon in general has seemed (over the past 5 years I've been there) to be intently against my spending any money in the area by rejecting anything that isn't "tourist-y" focused (i.e. more junk shops) -- I was delighted at the prospect of not having to drive to Deerfield Twp., / Mason.

Oh well.

As the economy comes back (and it will), and housing gets hot again (and it will), the inexorable pull of all that undeveloped land within a stone's throw of I-71 will again lure developers and mega-developments.

It may not be in the next 20 years. But probably in the next 50 (granted, not a scale of time that is a concern/interest for most of us).

Of course - I live out 123 towards I-71, and it would have been very convenient for me to get to San Mar Gale.

*sigh* I can still dream...

Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Agreed:

Landen = definite picturesque SPRAWL.

S. Lebanon ---- WHERE'S MY MOVIE THEATRE!?!!!

*sigh*

Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM

42,017 posts, read 75,434,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Lebanon is one part of the tri-state that is sprawl-free.
Of course it absolutely is not; Lebanon's sprawl is just very well contained, even camoflauged in some places.

I'm thinking of the succession of Wal Marts on Deerfield Road that then migrated to Columbus Avenue, the car dealers that have moved farther and farther out of town, or the newer subdivisions off Monroe Road, Miller Road, North Broadway and Columbus Avenue. I'm not even counting the 1960s subdivisions off North Broadway near St. Francis DeSales Church.

What's in the old Hart's/Big Bear these days? Wasn't Kmart in town for awhile? What happened to that buidling? How many strip malls have opened up on Columbus Avenue in the past 10 years or so?

Probably not all of it is within the city boundary, but a heckuva a lot is, since Lebanon was annexation-happy in the 80s.

And extending Miller Road from North Broadway to Columbus Avenue, and connecting it with the Ohio 48 extension is preparation for more sprawl.

Quote:
S. Lebanon ---- WHERE'S MY MOVIE THEATRE!?!!!

*sigh*
LMAO!

We tried to warn those people, but ... did they listen? LOL

Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,710,071 times
Lebanon has sprawl but it's not metropolitan sprawl like the stuff that connects Sharonville, West Chester and Mason continuously. Lebanon's sprawl is basically a little town playing pretend about sprawl and it's self contained, there are not ribbons connecting it to Dayton or Cincinnati. I think San Mar Gale would have been the first of that trend.

San Mar Gale's location was atrocious because it bordered the Little Miami recreation area. One great thing about that area is that it *is* dead and traffic and noise free. You can have your shopping elsewhere... lots of choice closer in to the city. And there are lots of vacant office and biz spaces in Lebanon. Building new crap when there is suitable existing infrastructure is sprawl to a "T".

Quote:
Since Lebanon in general has seemed (over the past 5 years I've been there) to be intently against my spending any money in the area by rejecting anything that isn't "tourist-y" focused (i.e. more junk shops) -- I was delighted at the prospect of not having to drive to Deerfield Twp., / Mason.
It is a dumb little town. One dusty overpriced trinket shop after another. And very monotonous. Very Hank Hill middlebrow level. Absolutely no counterculture or hipness. Everything caters to the 65+ day tourist set. Lebanon is "Harper Valley PTA" made "flesh".

Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Of course it absolutely is not; Lebanon's sprawl is just very well contained, even camoflauged in some places.

I'm thinking of the succession of Wal Marts on Deerfield Road that then migrated to Columbus Avenue, the car dealers that have moved farther and farther out of town, or the newer subdivisions off Monroe Road, Miller Road, North Broadway and Columbus Avenue. I'm not even counting the 1960s subdivisions off North Broadway near St. Francis DeSales Church.

What's in the old Hart's/Big Bear these days? Wasn't Kmart in town for awhile? What happened to that buidling? How many strip malls have opened up on Columbus Avenue in the past 10 years or so?

Probably not all of it is within the city boundary, but a heckuva a lot is, since Lebanon was annexation-happy in the 80s.

And extending Miller Road from North Broadway to Columbus Avenue, and connecting it with the Ohio 48 extension is preparation for more sprawl.

LMAO!

We tried to warn those people, but ... did they listen? LOL
Sigh - where were you back in the day?? Of course my initial posts on CD (back when we were househunting) were things like "Why does everyone hate Hamilton?" (we were thinking of moving there). I never posted questions on Lebanon back then, because I wasn't really considering it (hahahah!) and all the coworkers assured me it was awesome.

I want my movie theatre!! And an APPLEBEES!!

"Lebanon, so devoid of culture, a resident would kill for an Applebees!"

That should be the slogan.

The Hart's/Big Bear (it has been empty my entire time in the area - 5 years+) is now going to be filled with a .....

wait for it......

ANTIQUE MALL!!!!!! (consigment, of course!!)

mwwahahahahahahahhah!

*sad*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati