Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:39 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times

Advertisements

It's a CNN article, so it's far from good reporting, but the story was still alarming.

Mariemont? Endangered? By a stupid traffic project? What??

Nation's most endangered historic places - CNN.com

Hopefully y'all can enlighten me some... I guess I'm in the dark on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 PM

25 posts, read 35,341 times
I agree this is a stretch by any means. It's not like they are running the extension through the middle of town. But the entire idea of a the East Corridor is ridiculous, there already is a east corridor, its called I275.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,047 times
Ohio wants to build it and it will be within shouting distance (depending on the route) of historic assets. It also could effect an acquifer. The big problem is will bring development(sprawl). All of a sudden CVS and Wallgreen are buying historic assets and bulldozing them. Mariemont become another boring drap 'stepford wives" suburb.

The biger story is Cincinnati which is literally losing its architecture on a daily basis. Gamble house,gone!...Glencoe?gone!.... Most of Corryville? gone!. The city plans on demoing SEVEN HUNDRED properties this year....can you say Detroit.

Couple that with private developers doing teardowns, the MSD project which will level 70 or so 1870-1900 era properties for a glorified drainage ditch and Cincinnati's architectural heritage is being destroyed on massive scale. If you see a moving forward sign on a building its being demoed.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I'm more upset about the Gay Head Lighthouse and the James River.

Mariemont jumped the shark for me when it began booting little old ladies who'd lived in the village all of their lives out of their affordable brick box apartment buildings and replacing those affordable apartments with $500K condos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMilty View Post
But the entire idea of a the East Corridor is ridiculous, there already is a east corridor, its called I275.
Exactly. Divert eastbound commercial traffic heading east past Newtown to I-471 and I-275. It's bypassing Newtown that's been the reason for this Eastern Corridor idea for the past 25+ years, and the Little Miami River and its supporters that have kept it on the drawing board and off the construction bid list.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 PM

25 posts, read 38,066 times
It is simply fearmongering by a few Mariemont politicians.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 PM

25 posts, read 38,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Ohio wants to build it and it will be within shouting distance (depending on the route) of historic assets. It also could effect an acquifer. The big problem is will bring development(sprawl). All of a sudden CVS and Wallgreen are buying historic assets and bulldozing them. Mariemont become another boring drap 'stepford wives" suburb.
Really??? In Fairfax possibly but I think it is seriously unlikely that fast food restaurants and drug stores would locate on more expensive real estate in Mariemont just because the Eastern Corridor project went forward.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
I think Greenhills is more endangered, since they are tearing down the original New Deal stuff and replacing it with those faux foursquare/bungalow houses.

Nice revival architecture....but wrong wrong wrong for Greenhills.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I think Greenhills is more endangered, since they are tearing down the original New Deal stuff and replacing it with those faux foursquare/bungalow houses.

Nice revival architecture....but wrong wrong wrong for Greenhills.
Wow, what a great point. It is a reminder how articles like this are based on who promotes their project the best. An actual endangered place with very unique history is completely forgotten, because no one is talking about it.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC23 View Post
It is simply fearmongering by a few Mariemont politicians.
I kind of doubt if a few Mariemont politicians are powerful enough to influence the National Trust for Historic Preservation--whatever your opinion of that agency. It's like saying the Golf Manor Police Department is determining the policy of the FBI.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:43 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,237 times
I don't think Mariemont should be immune to having region-altering projects rammed down their throats like everyone else, but in this case I think the project is a very bad idea. The Little Miami river is a valuable asset and the noise, sprawl, and construction that would come with the project are simply not worth the utility the project brings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati