Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 20,588 times

Advertisements

Well ok, so I'm 23 and getting ready to move to Cinci from Knoxville TN for a new job. ORiginally I was supposed to go to Louisville, KY but they closed my position there and offered em one in Oh. So, I need some help. I've never been to Cinci in my life and I'm trying to find a good area of town to live in. Commuting is not an issue. I prefer a nicer, newer area of town. My limitations are that I have to live in the Cincinnati Metro area. If someone could also recommend some good apartment complexes to check out that would be awesome too. I'm looking for a one bedroom with W/D connections for about 650/mo. Also, what is the major cable/internet provider in the area? what about the electric company? Any other infor you guys could volunteer would be great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 07:38 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Time Warner is the cable company. People complain about Time Warner, but I'll take it over Comcast any day.

Duke Energy is the gas/electric company.

What type of neighborhood do you want to live in? A large apartment complex, or a smaller building?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,817 times
The nicer, newer areas are mainly north of town - primarily West Chester and Liberty, as well as Mason in SW Warren County, and Montgomery/Blue Ash in northeast Hamilton County. There are nice areas in the Cincinnati limits, too, but most likely out of your price range, as those areas would be Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Mt. Adams, Columbia-Tusculum and downtown. Not sure how expensive it would be for an apartment in the Anderson area east of the city. I lived in a really nice 1BR apartment in Fairfield, just west of West Chester. It was in the Timber Hollow apartment complex. Had a vaulted ceiling as well as a washer/dryer hookup off the kitchen. You could also try Northwest Woods, which offer the same amenities, as well as fireplaces in most units. But I think they are a bit more pricey. With the housing market in a major slump, landlords are no doubt going to hiking their rents, so you may have to go higher than $650 a month if you want a really nice, newer community - although when I left TH, the rent was only $585 a month.

Time Warner is the cable company, as Ohiogirl stated, but I really don't have a problem with them much. You can get phone service through TW, but I don't like it AT ALL, and switched back to Cincinnati Bell. My digital cable has only gone out once on me, and it was back up and running the next morning. My internet service, RoadRunner, is a lot faster and much more reliable for me than the phone company's DSL service, although you'll find people disagree about that. But my whole cable bill is only $106 a month, and that includes internet speeds up to 7mbps. They have a premium service that will go faster, but you have to pay extra for it. My electric bill varies between $58 - $95 a month, depending on how much I run the A/C or furnace. The phone bill is only $56 a month, but I have a bunch of extra stuff on my line. I think you can get it a lot cheaper, if you want a land line.

If you want more specifics, let me know.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:08 PM

13 posts, read 88,303 times
You could live on Hyde Park Square for under $625/mo including heat!! I lived in the apartments above Aligator Purse for 2 years. There are w/d in the basement. Can't beat the location!! Perfect place for a 23 year old!! Let me know if you want the number.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 PM

710 posts, read 3,047,719 times
hyde park square is the best place mentioned in this thread. really nice, close to downtown, diverse, and full of activity. you can walk almost anywhere you need. the northern suburbs simply don't offer those perks

Old 11-10-2007, 03:01 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
hyde park square is the best place mentioned in this thread. really nice, close to downtown, diverse, and full of activity. you can walk almost anywhere you need. the northern suburbs simply don't offer those perks
Hyde Park is a very nice area, but do you think he can get what he wants for $650 there?

Old 11-10-2007, 09:41 PM

13 posts, read 88,303 times
Most definetly............I lived on the square for $625/mo inlucuding heat!!! Most people don't know how cheap places can be. My apartment was like 700 square feet............wood floors............updated kitchen..............very nice!!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 PM

710 posts, read 3,047,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Hyde Park is a very nice area, but do you think he can get what he wants for $650 there?

yes, you have to look around for it or maybe go a little closer to obrianville (sic?)

Old 11-17-2007, 10:06 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,678,383 times
I agree with the posters above, Hyde Park is a great location for a 23 year old who is new to the city. It's walkable, trendy, has lots of restaurants, and tons of young people. Most of the young adults I work with live in that area and love it.

Since you're new to our town make a point of trying Skyline chili (go for a three way and a cheese coney to start with - No, I'm not pulling your leg about the three way - it's weird, but good), LaRosa's pizza, Graeter's ice cream, and Montgomery Inn ribs - they are Cincinnati's signature foods. Best of luck and let us know where you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati