Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 AM

12 posts, read 19,095 times

Advertisements

We just moved to the cincy area. We are currently renting just east of Anderson Twp. We would like to stay more country than city. We are currently looking at alternatives to public and home schooling. I really have an issue with government public schools. Do like what they teach and how they teach it. This is something we would make the move on next year. We have a 2nd grader and a preK. I here of schools called alternative, Democratic and self-directed. Any direction, advice and info would be great.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsa View Post
We just moved to the cincy area. We are currently renting just east of Anderson Twp. We would like to stay more country than city. We are currently looking at alternatives to public and home schooling. I really have an issue with government public schools. Do like what they teach and how they teach it. This is something we would make the move on next year. We have a 2nd grader and a preK. I here of schools called alternative, Democratic and self-directed. Any direction, advice and info would be great.
Thanks
If you are east of Anderson Twp. you are about as far into the country as 30 minutes takes you. Depending on exact location, 30 minutes to the west may get you more country. But alternative schools will not be very prevelant regardless. We have public schools, then parochial schools, then a smattering of schools spread all over the area.

Last edited by kjbrill; 08-29-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM

800 posts, read 780,901 times
Quote:
Thanks
I mean as far as public school alternatives people from Anderson attend:

Catholic:
(HS)
St. X
Summit
McNicholas

(Grade School)
IHM
GA
Summit
St. Mary's
Pachelli

Non-Catholic:

7 Hills
Cincinnati Country Day School

For some reason I have a feeling these schools aren't really what you're looking for though.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM

171 posts, read 354,289 times
Maybe the Cincinnati Waldorf School? It just moved to Mariemont from further west before. I know of some kids from Andreson that went there before, and it now is only closer to that side of town. Not sure what type of school you are looking for, but it's definitely not main stream govt public school and would qualify as alternative education. If you give more description on the type of education/school, we could all probably help you better...

Old 08-29-2013, 05:18 PM

410 posts, read 586,784 times
You said that you weren't planning to homeschool. If you choose to go that route after all, I'd reccomend looking into Leaves of Learning for additional learning experiences.
LeavesofLearning.org

Good luck, non-traditional education is a difficult road.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
You said that you weren't planning to homeschool. If you choose to go that route after all, I'd reccomend looking into Leaves of Learning for additional learning experiences.
LeavesofLearning.org

Good luck, non-traditional education is a difficult road.
For those thinking of a different path, who has investigated the online K-12 program? I keep seeing them advertised but don't know what to think about it.

One of my daughters is in Hawaii where her husband is in the military. She has some learning issues with her kids she felt were not being addressed by the schools. She has a degree in education from Bowling Green in Ohio. So she decided to home-school. I told her I was not in favor of it since she has 3 different ages to handle. Public school teachers are at least confronted with only one age group at a time. This year she found a setup they call the Academy. It is a public school but the students only attend for like 2 hours a day, all pure academics. Then they return for home-schooling. So far it appears to be working out. The students get daily assignments consistent with their curriculum. So the home-schooling becomes more like a big homework assignment. The students also turn in work completed at home which is graded and commented upon. I just thought it a novel idea. More and more of the military families are electing this route.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 19,095 times
Kjbrill,
I was trying to find more info on the K-12 program. At first glance it looks like a combination of home schooling and online classes. That may be a good route for us. I guess I did not say this correctly. My problem with public schools are they teach kids how to think the way they want them to. In other words. Progressive and open to accept the world. I disagree, I don't want my kids to come home and tell me all about global warming and how science has "proven" we come from apes and apes came from small organisms billions of years ago. On the other side I don't want a catholic school. Not interested in hail Mary's and catholisim. I would like either A good Christian bible based school or something like a Montessori school. Something more tailored to the individual student. My daughter is in 1st grade and already reading at a 2nd-3rd grade level. So basic school is not much of a challenge for her. My son is the opposite. He would rather be outside in a dirt pile than inside reading books or doing puzzles. I know he is smart by some of the things he says and does but can see that home schooling will not work for him.
We have not settled on a permanent location yet because we are uncertain of the school we want. I like any of the areas from Anderson Twp east to New Richmond. Then North up to Loveland.
Hope that helps.
Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Kjbrill,
I was trying to find more info on the K-12 program. At first glance it looks like a combination of home schooling and online classes. That may be a good route for us. I guess I did not say this correctly. My problem with public schools are they teach kids how to think the way they want them to. In other words. Progressive and open to accept the world. I disagree, I don't want my kids to come home and tell me all about global warming and how science has "proven" we come from apes and apes came from small organisms billions of years ago. On the other side I don't want a catholic school. Not interested in hail Mary's and catholisim. I would like either A good Christian bible based school or something like a Montessori school. Something more tailored to the individual student. My daughter is in 1st grade and already reading at a 2nd-3rd grade level. So basic school is not much of a challenge for her. My son is the opposite. He would rather be outside in a dirt pile than inside reading books or doing puzzles. I know he is smart by some of the things he says and does but can see that home schooling will not work for him.
We have not settled on a permanent location yet because we are uncertain of the school we want. I like any of the areas from Anderson Twp east to New Richmond. Then North up to Loveland.
Hope that helps.
Thanks again.
Just a couple of considerations.

Check out Mars Hill Academy in Mason. It is an independent school not affiliated with any religeous organization. But they state their education is Christian based. It is a K-12 school, and not very large which could be a plus for individual attention. I have no idea concerning their tuition rates, but if they can survive against Mason City Schools they must have people who like them.

Another consideration may be Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy, located near the intersection of I-275 and I-71. It is a non-denominational school, but follows mostly a protestant philosophy. One of its benefactors was Carl Lindner Jr, a prominent Cincinnati businessman, which I have under good authority was a staunch Baptist.

I just keep hearing more and more about the K-12 online schooling. It does seem to be a cross between public and home schooling. But unless what I am hearing is pure bunk, it is funded through the public system, has no tuition, and the teaching materials, etc. for the home study are provided. The two private schools I cited above I am reasonably sure are not cheap.

I am a Catholic, but refused to send my children to Catholic schools. When I was younger, our local pastor was all over my case, telling me how irresponsible I was. I replied bunk, I refuse to pay substantial public school taxes and then turn around and double it for the Catholic schools. To me that is idiotic. My vote is shut down our schools and let the public system react. The sudden economic burden on their system will be huge. When they announce the tax increases they require to absorb our children, just wait for the hue and cry.

All 4 of my children went to public schools. None of them came out worse for the wear, in fact in my estimation better off. They experienced a broader exposure, not just one church's monolithic position.
So whatever your views, my advice is get in there, join every organization the public school has, and influence how they educate your kids. I refuse to accept the opinion this is not possible. If so, then let us all give up, the entire premise on which this country is based is not possible.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 AM

404 posts, read 826,583 times
I don't think you'll find much alternative schooling other than homeschooling. The Waldorf schools are all west of you and would be quite inconvenient. I don't think there is a Sudbury model school in Ohio at all. Montessori abounds and is even free as a magnet or neighborhood option all the way to High School if you lived in the Cincinnati boundaries or were willing to drive there every day and do open enrollment (if available where you wanted to enroll.). Again, too far for a 2x a day deal.

If this is something you are very concerned about you will either need to homeschool or move.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:30 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
I don't think you'll find much alternative schooling other than homeschooling. The Waldorf schools are all west of you and would be quite inconvenient. I don't think there is a Sudbury model school in Ohio at all. Montessori abounds and is even free as a magnet or neighborhood option all the way to High School if you lived in the Cincinnati boundaries or were willing to drive there every day and do open enrollment (if available where you wanted to enroll.). Again, too far for a 2x a day deal.

If this is something you are very concerned about you will either need to homeschool or move.
FWIW, I think the Waldorf School that was in Mt. Airy has moved to Mariemont. Same general side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati