Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 20,586 times

Advertisements

So I've heard some people say that Time Warner phone service blows. Why is that? Would I better off just getting my cable and internet from TW and my phone service w/ unlimited long distance from Cincy Bell? Let me hear what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 31,030 times
I have my phone service with TW and have never had a problem with it...honestly, I switched over from Cincinnati Bell specifically for the bundle and I'm happy with it.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 PM

12 posts, read 45,042 times
When you have TW you don't have service if the power goes out or when the cable goes out.. That is the biggest difference. Overall I just don't like TW they raise prices a lot. (at least that is what I think)

Old 11-19-2007, 02:39 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,242 times
My problem back in the day ( I switched first time we got a choice of someone else) was their customer service.. it sucks!!! I have a friend that has them, she got the bundle and seems to like it.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:51 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,376 times
All the phone programs that you get through the cable providers are VOIP and you just are not going to get the same quality as you would a dedicated telephone line, or at least that is my opinion based on my experience on two separate occasions. And as mentioned, your power/cable goes out, so does your phone.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:59 AM

69 posts, read 146,050 times
Default another option. . .

You could try a Cincinnati Bell bundle (interent, cell phone, etc) that includes their HomeRun option. HomeRun is a VOIP calling service that let's your piggyback on your Internet connection for free (or a minimal charge) for unlimited calling. It requires a cell phone that is equipped with a Wi-Fi card (like Nokia 6086). . I also will connect to any available public Wi-Fi signal for unlimited, free calling. The Nokia 6086 can jump back and forth between using a regular cell signal and an available Wi-Fi signal, depending on what signal is stronger.

The ideal scenario would be if you have a wireless computer network set up in your home and you make most of your usual phone calls from home. Just set up your 6086 to use your home's wireless network and you don't have use any minutes from your cell plan. Connect to a WiFi signal anywhere else (store, library, etc.) and you still don't burn any minutes.

Sitting close by in your own home, your wireless router is putting out a much stronger signal than the nearest cell tower, which could be miles away. We've used HomeRun for about 4 months now, and do not have traditional land line. We got two FREE Nokia 6086 phones at the Cincinnati Bell store during its grand opening in Lebanon this summer. I think they're usually $60-$70 phones.

And if the power goes out, the phone will revert back to cellular mode and I can still make a phone call

Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 25,048 times
Time warner had issues with the phone service when it came out. I have it now, tho, and rarely have a problem with it. My issues with phone service stem from a shoddy GE cordless phone.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,719 times
Time Warner as a company blows. If you get the bundle its not too bad of a deal but lord help you if you have problem or an outage. Their customer service is non existant. Dont think their cable TV is that great either and they dont have the NFL Network. Get Direct TV satelittle and then any high speed internet, i currently have Zoomtown through Time Warner but only because i "talked" them into 20.99 a month. No reason to have a home phone when you got a cell.

G Man

Old 12-13-2008, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 6,594 times
Angry time warner phone service over sea calls

i would like to know if any military familys have run into trouble with the service that they get when they make calls over seas to deployed military members ?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:40 PM

455 posts, read 1,883,868 times
Vonage here. No problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati