Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
OHKID, as a former Dayton resident I have a little to say. I think you make some really good points concerning what the Dayton metro has going for it. However, one seemingly consistent theme amongst your many points, (and I like what you have to say) is you leave out the city of Dayton proper. The city of Dayton is the biggest detraction for the Dayton region. Until that city makes some sort of effort towards stabilizing itself by figuring out how to retain/attract businesses and residents it's downward spiral will continue, and the city of Dayton definitely gives the Dayton metro a black eye.
Thanks!

And also sorry to go off topic on this thread. But it is true that Dayton is the black eye of the metro as far as common perception and safety are concerned. Fortunately though the revitalization of downtown / South Park / St. Anne's Hill is filling in the gaps between Rubicon, McPherson Town, Webster Station, Wright-Dunbar south of 3rd & east of Broadway, and the OD which is creating a stable core from Malfunction Junction on I-75 all the way south to Oakwood. So hopefully that will be a good base of stabilization to build from for revitalizing the rest of the city limits.

What worries me is that the blight keeps spreading north and northwest. Northridge is probably going to continue its path to becoming the top "vice area" within the metro. That will be good for Dayton proper, but awful for the north valley.

Anyways, back on the semblance of a topic that's going right now haha. Sorry for the distraction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 05:57 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Those who have left Cincinnati have done so for one primary reason - job opportunity.
Not me. I left for love.

Quote:
Call me a conspiracy nut, but I personally believe it's fomented on purpose from the likes of COAST
Is COAST really that influential? I always saw it as a sort of gnat -- annoying, and it won't go away, but basically no one pays attention to it.

Quote:
Sometimes I think Cincinnati has too much green space
How is that even possible?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:16 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Is COAST really that influential? I always saw it as a sort of gnat -- annoying, and it won't go away, but basically no one pays attention to it.
Well, TOAST is backing Cranley....and Cranley is actively pubbing TOAST talking points...need I say more?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 PM

477 posts, read 664,381 times
Quote:
Sometimes I think Cincinnati has too much green space

How is that even possible?
How Cincinnati of you .

I wonder if Cincy being at one time the 2nd most densley populated city in the country instilled this almost rabid love of greenspace, that has persisted for generations, sometimes there is a beauty in concrete and brick as well

Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
How Cincinnati of you .
Why, thank you.

Quote:
I wonder if Cincy being at one time the 2nd most densley populated city in the country instilled this almost rabid love of greenspace, that has persisted for generations, sometimes there is a beauty in concrete and brick as well
Sure, there is. But concrete and brick should be tempered. A little greenery won't kill anyone, not even urban property developers.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM

477 posts, read 664,381 times
Quote:
Those who have left Cincinnati have done so for one primary reason - job opportunity.
Nope, could have gotten a job in Cincy, if I really wanted to take off my career I could have moved to the bay area. I primarily moved so I could be in a more open social environment as well as I had a strong desire to live somewhere where i could take a train to work everyday - I wanted city living and in '07 OTR/Downtown was nowhere near where its at now.

I also liked the idea of living in a place that was quick to catch onto new ideas not slow.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,657 times
Having too much green space in a city makes the city anti-green, like a suburb. Primarily due to a greater need for motorized transportation, but also due to burning gasoline to power machinery for growth control/maintenance and watering of anything landscaped. And it contributes to the size of the urbanized area, taking away from what could be "green belt", farmland, etc., on the periphery.

That said, it's important to have sufficient green space in a city for proper stormwater management, combating the heat island effect, absorbing CO2 and other chemicals and circulating oxygen, and of course for quality of life -- not just because people like it and park spaces provide outlets for recreation and fitness/physical heatlh, but also because natural settings are important for psychological health.

I definitely do not think Cincinnati has too little green space. Maybe there are some areas which could use another park, but I can't think of any. Between Lytle, Smale, and Washington, I think the basin is pretty well covered. Perhaps some streets could use more trees. (I always find it weird OTR has so few streets with mature trees. Orchard Street would be an example of a street with a nice tree canopy.)

Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I definitely do not think Cincinnati has too little green space.
We're on the same page. Between the rolling hills that make up Cincinnati's landscape, and an abundance of parks, I think we are pretty well covered.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM

I dunno, I don't think a small patch of grass and a tree or two on a corner on Fifth or Sixth streets or thereabouts would be amiss downtown. Maybe turn one of those stark and worn 20-car surface parking lots into a soothing green oasis ...

Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I dunno, I don't think a small patch of grass and a tree or two on a corner on Fifth or Sixth streets or thereabouts would be amiss downtown. Maybe turn one of those stark and worn 20-car surface parking lots into a soothing green oasis ...
The problem with small greenspaces downtown is somebody has to take care of them. If noone takes care of them you rapidly have an ugly weed patch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati