Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:44 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
The most bang for your buck would be in Oakley....but you'd have to get it close to Oakley Square to really feel like the cool parts of Short North.
I'd say Northside also competes for "most bang for the buck", unless you're referring to housing space and not neighborhood amenities, in which case I'd say goyguy's Pleasant Ridge suggestion gets you more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I'd say Northside also competes for "most bang for the buck", unless you're referring to housing space and not neighborhood amenities, in which case I'd say goyguy's Pleasant Ridge suggestion gets you more.
Northside might be a good fit the OP, and the only reason I listed Oakley rather than it is because he made neighborhood stability a major factor....while I think Northside will be stable over the long haul, it doesn't have the documented historical stability that Oakley, Gas Light and Mt Adams do.

But maybe Northside is the best fit of them all for the OP? I don't think he'd know unless he rented for a year and did some scouting around...which is something we both suggested. Heck even if the OP is really amped to buy a place (which I can understand), then I'd suggest renting for 3-6 months.....heck, even just 2-4 weeks at an Extended Stay America if you really have to buy a place.....just to get a little lay of the land. Buying a house is a major commitment....you better be 100% sure.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus to Cincy View Post
I'm going to be moving to Cincy in the next couple of months. I've decided to buy because I've saved up about 250,000 and I think it's my time to buy. I'm single and i'm 29 years old. I'm an accountant and I'll be working on Pill Hill for a hospital. I'm from Dublin, Ohio (A Northeast Suburb of Columbus), right now I live in Upper Arlington, another NE suburb. I'm white, Episcopal,and have never lived in an urban area. I would like to live in the city because I've never had that experience before. I want a large home in a relatively safe neighborhood where I could live for a long time. I want a stable neighborhood that wont go under over night. Schools don't matter because I don't have kids and if I did they would go to Catholic school like I did. I'd like to stay within 45 minutes of my job.
Thanks
Prospect Hill, all day long.

Here's an example of what you could get:

1615 Broadway St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 - Zillow

And it's very close to Pill Hill. There are a lot of hospital workers in the neighborhood, as well as a lot of other professionals, etc. It's very diverse here.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM

^ Agreed on all counts. I didn't recommend Northside at first for that reason, but since he recently said he was looking for something like Short North but it didn't have to be so far along, well, I started thinking of Northside. And it is very likely the least expensive neighborhood with the most going on, hence major bang for the buck. Over-the-Rhine/CBD and Mt. Adams are probably the only other neighborhoods that can compete with Northside's concentration of amenities, and those neighborhoods are much more expensive.

I personally think Clifton Gaslight is ideal for the OP, especially in light of the $500k maximum -- you can find a sweet house there under that. Its proximity to his work and safety and stability just make it the obvious choice IMO. If Keller's were still around, I'd be close to saying "forget everywhere else", yet renting first is the #1 plan I recommend now. So I will suggest renting in the Clifton Gaslight District.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post

And it's very close to Pill Hill. There are a lot of hospital workers in the neighborhood, as well as a lot of other professionals, etc. It's very diverse here.
Good suggestion

Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Or spend a couple extra bucks for this bad boy:

435 Milton St, Cincinnati, OH 45231 - Zillow

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Or spend a couple extra bucks for this bad boy:

435 Milton St, Cincinnati, OH 45231 - Zillow
I checked that place out during an open house not too long ago. And I am reasonably sure you could offer $275k or perhaps even $250k to get to $275K. The lady who owns it is emotionally attached to it and even admitted as much. It's 4 stories, including the basement and has an elevator.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:00 AM

^^^^I really like that place. The inside was redone nicely....and has a real high-end feel to the kitchen cabs, floors, wine fridge, and shower tile. The view alone is worth some money. Do you think there's attractive red brick under the white paint on the outside? Take the red brick from the house you posted and put it on this one, and you're looking at one sharp house.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Do you think there's attractive red brick under the white paint on the outside? Take the red brick from the house you posted and put it on this one, and you're looking at one sharp house.
I'm sure there is. If it were mine, I would pay to have it stripped. Never, never paint red brick white, IMO. The view is even better in person, it's at the corner of Cumber and Milton. Cumber is about half way up Milton and it's one steep street as well.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:02 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
I'm sure there is. If it were mine, I would pay to have it stripped. Never, never paint red brick white, IMO. The view is even better in person, it's at the corner of Cumber and Milton. Cumber is about half way up Milton and it's one steep street as well.
If you want to have the paint stripped off the brick, what is the best method? I know chemical strippers can be very messy. Probably best to test the paint first. If you are lucky and it is latex a high powered water jet cleaner may take it off. But if you have someone come in and sandblast it off they better be very good at their craft so they do not cause undue damage to the brick and maybe moreso to the mortar. Even then you will likely open up the porous surface of the brick and also the mortar. You then have to consider a clear sealant over the brick and mortar to prevent water intrusion.

My house had quite porous brick used in its facade and the mortar job was not the greatest. For years in a heavy rain water would penetrate, run down behind the brick course and over the poured foundation into the basement. Just enough water to irritate me. Finally wised up, went to Lowe's, and bought several 5 gallon pails of clear concrete sealer. Used a manual pump garden sprayer to apply it, in a liberal fashion. Let the first coat dry then applied a second. As it was clear couldn't tell exactly what I was doing except I put it on freely so the surface looked good and wet. Hooray, no more water in the basement. Don't know why it took me so long to wise up and realize the cure. Probably has been long enough now I need to refresh the seal, but I will procrastinate until I see water in the basement again.

This house sounds like it could be a real beauty. Whoever buys it needs to have a good inspection done and be in the position to solve any current physical defects so it retains its dignity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati