Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,180,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If you want to have the paint stripped off the brick, what is the best method?
Well, not sure anymore. Used to be chemical strippers followed up with a light sandblast would do the trick. But I am not sure what methods work best any longer, especially since strippers have been weakened via govt. regulation.[/quote]

Quote:
This house sounds like it could be a real beauty. Whoever buys it needs to have a good inspection done and be in the position to solve any current physical defects so it retains its dignity.
Well, I guarantee you that this is not a fixer upper. Whatever issues need remedied would be very minor in comparison to the money invested in that property over the years. Obviously, an inspector would find issues just to have something to say. But that house is a beauty, and has been very well taken care of since it's restoration and updates. Honestly, $300,000 is a steal. If you moved that same house on Boal Street. you would be asking $500,000, and further up the hill would fetch even more. The biggest issues I could see for a potential home owner is having the money to maintain it over the long haul. But even then, it would take a long time before anything major cropped up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,951,122 times
Sandblasting is disastrous for old brick. Agree with the prior comment that painting is a bad idea, but once it's been painted, the best thing is to leave it painted.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:26 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,702,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Sandblasting is disastrous for old brick. Agree with the prior comment that painting is a bad idea, but once it's been painted, the best thing is to leave it painted.
Once I think about it Sarah, I have to agree with your opinion. Sandblasting would have to be done by someone at the top of their trade with a deft touch. Even then it may cause irrepairable damage to the brick. Inspect the paint, if it is good and sound with no significant peeling or other problems leave it. Also consider having the exterior washed every few years. Very few people ever consider that for a painted surface, but getting all the dirt and grime off can do wonders for both appearance and longevity.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:57 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,898,557 times
This discussion has me thinking about this building:
http://urbanohio.com/gallery/index.php?album=Southwest%20Ohio/Cincinnati/Neighborhoods/Clifton&image=2013MarchCincinnati1.jpg

Anyone know what's up with it? Are the owners just hoping the paint will go away eventually? Are they neglecting to paint it again to save money or hassle? Did they try to remove it and decide the process wasn't going well? Whatever it is, the building is a gem, but the wear on the paint is making it look like hell.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Sandblasting would have to be done by someone at the top of their trade with a deft touch.
You asked, I answered. Light sand blast after a chemical peel should say it all. But apparently not.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:08 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,951,122 times
Might as well go to the source...

Preservation Brief 6: Dangers of Abrasive Cleaning to Historic Buildings

Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,702,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
You asked, I answered. Light sand blast after a chemical peel should say it all. But apparently not.
Yes you did. The chemical peel is a very messy job, but probably the only method to not seriously damage the brick.

I have never attempted to remove paint from exterior brick, but expect there are a lot of variables involved such the number of coats, age of the paint and how brittle it is, etc. I would expect the mortar joints to be a particular challenge.

I have removed paint from exterior window wood shutters and siding using a torch and scrapper, and I know how touchy that it. You have to heat the paint enough for it to release from the surface but not so much you scorch the wood. Siding is particularly touchy as you risk flames getting up the joints and setting the siding on fire from behind. It can smolder for hours and then the house suddenly bursts into flames. At the first sign of dry rot do not remove paint with a torch. Due to the small surface area of individual bricks and the mortar joints I doubt a torch would be effective on brick at all.

I have used a chemical peel product which comes coated on a fiberglass backing. It comes in a packaging which when you remove it is wet. You roll it out on the surface and literally let it dry. Then you peel the fiberglass off with the released surface coating stuck to it. Works well on smaller areas and with few coats to be removed. For multiple coats may take more than one application. When I think of using it on the exterior of an entire house, I go WOW what an expense.

So Tom, I am not arguing with you. I am just saying chemical peels can be a mess. I removed varnish from the woodwork of many a house in the old Avondale before the Jewish fled the area. Beautiful rooms such as libraries with floor to ceiling paneling and bookshelves of solid walnut. But the old varnishes with time would literally turn black giving the room a dungeon atmosphere. To remove them you needed to apply enough varnish remover to the point the old finish literally liquified and became runny. Now you have a real mess on your hands. I have posted before my father's solution to this is he would take his truck and bins to wood mills around town and collect wood shavings (not sawdust). They were happy to have him haul them away. We would place dropcloths on the floor around the periphery. and with rubber gloves grab handfuls of the wood chips and use them as a scrubbing agent to remove the runny varnish and remover. All of the edges on the wood chips would act like little scrapers, reaching into recesses and rounds in the woodwork which came out clean and required minimal sanding afterward. The wood chips then acted like a sponge, soaking up all of the residue. We just swept up the result.

I have been trying to think would such a technique work on the exterior of a house? In my mind, why not? But then reality sets in. First of all where in the Cincinnati area is a wood mill where you could get a sufficient volume of chips? I can't think of one, and if you can locate one they probably want to charge you for them. Easy enough to put some plastic dropcloths at the base of the walls to collect the droppings. But then I recall this is a multi-story house. Needs scaffolding to do the job. OK, you can rent scaffolding.

But then I visualize the mortar joints, and how clean the wood chips would scrape them. Depending on the porosity of the brick it may come out clean as a whistle. Some of the old techniques, while unsophisticated, were extremely effective.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM

307 posts, read 540,852 times
Sand blasting is usually very bad but in the hands of a trained restoration professional it can be done safely. However the cost of said restoration professional is usually quite higher than your general construction hack.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
Sand blasting is usually very bad but in the hands of a trained restoration professional it can be done safely.
All I was trying to say. Funny to see Brill and Perry get all frothy at me though.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 AM

307 posts, read 540,852 times
I just realized y'all were talking sand blasting and in my head I was thinking pressure washing. I wrote sand blasting but was still thinking pressure washing oops! That said sand blasting seems a tad scary and like it would be a colossal mess, but I have no experience one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati