Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 10:27 AM

18 posts, read 26,161 times

Advertisements

Hello again! I am looking for rentals and can not seem to find what I am looking for in my budget. I have found several homes to rent in the Maineville area with Little Miami SD. I know all about the problems with the school district. My children would be attending KG and possibly 1st grade only before we bought somewhere else (Loveland or Mason) after renting and getting to know the area for a year or two. So my question is, is it really that bad? Especially for just KG and maybe 1st? Any help would be appreciated as we need to make a decision fairly quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
From what I heard, growth rate is still a problem, but financially, they've been turning around recently with a passed levy. I'd say for Kindergarten and 1st Grade you should be fine. Since the uptick in home sales and building in the last 2-3 years, it has become less of a concern again.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:45 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
From what I heard, growth rate is still a problem, but financially, they've been turning around recently with a passed levy. I'd say for Kindergarten and 1st Grade you should be fine. Since the uptick in home sales and building in the last 2-3 years, it has become less of a concern again.
I agree the school system is probably not that bad far as performance. But it still has a long way to go versus nearby districts over the long haul. If you find something satisfatory far as a short term rental go ahead. Just sign the shortest term lease you can get. If you find out it sucks be prepared to skedaddle.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:06 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
I just stated on your other thread how I think Monroe is probably a better option over Lakota.

I can say with certainty that Lakota is a better option than Little Miami. Way too much growth in too small of a time frame. Suburban development has exploded in that area, and the results have not been good.

If you want to stay more over that way, I'd go Lebanon. You should be able to find some good stuff within your budget there, and the schools will be better. Mason or Kings might be trickier to find something, and honestly the school quality difference is only marginal. It's more important that your child has full access to the resources they need to succeed at a school than it is to be at a "good school" which has a staff that is stretched to the limit and cannot afford your child the time they need.

That's again why I highly recommend Monroe.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:38 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
That's again why I highly recommend Monroe.
Please cite your economic reasons why Monroe can even hold the sandles of either Lakota or Mason? I don't believe they can even hold their shoelaces? Please enlighten us why circumstances have turned around in our northern suburbs.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Of course. Monroe is SW Ohio's #1 fastest-growing city. Its population doubled in the past 10 years.

Some of this has to do with Monroe's separation from Middletown City Schools. This spawned the launch of the somewhat-controversial and massive Monroe Crossings development, which is right across the street from the former Americana Amusement Park. Other subdivisions soon followed. However, Monroe's primary success has happened through its industrial growth.

Just a few developments there in the past 10 years:
- Kohl's DC
- Home Depot DC
- West Chester Gloves
- Cincinnati Outlets

Trust me, Monroe has its downsides too. But overall it does compare well economically to Lakota / Mason.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:52 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Lord knows Lakota and Mason have downsides of their own. Monroe sounds compelling. I didn't know it had changed so rapidly.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 AM

307 posts, read 543,688 times
If you're honestly putting big box stores and outlet malls on the same level as high end professional services of all types and numerous manufacturers I don't really have an answer for you. I'm certain that the folks working at the outlet are making comparable wages to those at p&g cetl. Or not.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
I rented in Monroe for 6 months in 2008. Granted, it was not a good time for housing - but there was a good reason that Monroe Crossings was sitting empty and many other developments had a ton of houses for sale .. People got in over their heads.

For a 6 month rental (waiting for our house in Lebanon to be built) it was fine. But living in Monroe you either drive to Middletown (Lowes/Kroger/HD/Walmart) to do your shopping, or into Westchester. Sure, there's a Kroger plaza in Monroe, but that's it. (No Target, no Walmart, no HD, no Lowes)

I understand a lot of development has occurred in Monroe because of its location spanning I-75 at Rt 63. However, Monroe doesn't have much of an identity. It feels like an old downtown, with new far flung sprawl, without much thought.

Schoolwise, I have no opinion as schools were not a concern to me at that time (and still aren't).

When we looked at houses, the newer subdivisions in Monroe had many that were going short sale/foreclosure - because people got in over their heads too quickly. As a result the neighborhoods (the new ones) did not have a very stable feeling. That may have resolved itself by now, but it may have damaged property values for some time to come (which if you want a bargain, may be a good thing).

If middletown were a destination, Monroe would be a great location. Hopefully Middletown will continue to revive itself and that can be. As it is, its not a place I can think of to settle (unless you're basically in liberty twp, on the edge, commuting into westchester every day) long term.

But a rental to figure other things out? Why not, can't hurt too much.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
As was mentioned earlier, I think Little Miami would be fine short term, but I believe Lebanon would be a better alt. If you are commuting to the Northeastern Cincinnati suburbs and I-71 corridor, its worth looking into Lebanon too. Straight shot to I-71 via OH-48 bypass. Not much traffic until you hit I-275, maybe Mason-Montgomery exit. Also, it's more coherent in development and less strain on schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati