Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 14,025 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 year's old and will be working in the West Chester area starting this summer so I'm curious to know where all the Procter and Gamble and GE young employees live...

So, where do the rest of you live? I'll be moving to the area not knowing many people and not many people from my company are my age and single...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,546,304 times
DreamSput --

No idea what you're looking for.

If the Liberty Place (Liberty Town Center) development goes through, in a couple of years there will be a place in Liberty Twp with restaurants/stores/apartments.

Having seen the Greene (in BeaverCreek) my first reaction was "who would live in a mall?" - but then as I've spent much more time there (as a patron of the restaurants/stores) - I realize there's a ridiculous amount of night life there (compared to a regular suburban environment). Its mini-urbanity, if only the disneyland version of it.

Of course that doesn't solve your immediate housing needs.

Most of the stuff in this area (westchester/mason/monroe/middletown/lebanon) is more family oriented, or at least older. Not as much in the Young Professional mold. You could check out the new townhomes going up at Streets of Westchester, and some of the more upscale apartment communities in Westchester. But that's about it.

As far as Cinci - the neighborhoods you're looking at (esp. Mt. Adams) are not inexpensive. While I realize you have a professional job, at 22 (unless you were a child prodigy) you are likely getting your first job with a BS degree (not a PhD). That implies a certain salary rage (from $40K to $70K, depending upon profession, not including finance).

If you're in the lower end of that range ($40 - 55K) then Mt. Adams especially might be difficult to afford. Hyde Park might be okay - along the fringes.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but just be realistic. Few people come right out of college making 6 figures, and many of those neighborhoods would require a closer to 6 figure income in order to afford a yuppie lifestyle. (i.e. eating out, socializing, going to events, wearing nice clothes, living in a trendy area).

Obviously if those things are not what you're looking for, that changes things. But when you keep stressing "Young professionals" to hang out with/live near ... (over safety, or affordability) - those are the types of things that come sterotypically to mind.

Cinci-metro overall is a relatively affordable place. You may just want to rent in a safe neighborhood for a while, and spend 6 months driving around/figuring out traffic patterns, then determine where you want to move for a longer period of time.

best of luck, and welcome to the area!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:02 PM

133 posts, read 205,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSput View Post
I'm 22 year's old and will be working in the West Chester area starting this summer so I'm curious to know where all the Procter and Gamble and GE young employees live...

So, where do the rest of you live? I'll be moving to the area not knowing many people and not many people from my company are my age and single...
I have plenty of GE and P&G friends, and being a 22yo employee of one of those companies myself, I think I have a good handle on the idea. I work at the West Chester office on the occasion too. Most of us live down town, OTR, or Mt. Adams to be honest. People looking for a less "urban" environment typically go to Hyde Park/Oakley.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:58 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
They all live in mason, west Chester or maybe Loveland..

Old 09-27-2013, 04:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
They all live in mason, west Chester or maybe Loveland..
Even though I am an old fart and live in Mason, I doubt that. A true modern YP advocate, assuming we are talking single, would not be caught dead there, as that would be sacrilegious. Has to be OTR, Mt Adams or Hyde Park/Oakley. That is until they become a Married Young Professional (MYP?) and realize they are going broke. Then it is probably Deerfield Township/Mason, West Chester, Kings Mills (Landen) or Loveland. Always have to qualify the genre you are speaking about.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,881 times
If I was a 22 yr. old single person working in West Chester, I would commute from Clifton/OTR....and not give living anywhere else a second thought. This coming from a 40 something married guy in Mason with two young kids. You come up here when you're ready to settle down with kids.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:46 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,061 times
I would say the single ones are in Downtown, Over-the-Rhine, Mt. Adams, Northside, Covington, or Newport. The married ones are in Oakley, Hyde Park, Clifton, or Prospect Hill. The boring married ones are in North Avondale, East Walnut Hills, Pleasant Ridge, Mt. Lookout, Columbia-Tusculum, Bellevue, or Fort Thomas. And the married ones who have given up on having anything interesting in their life outside children or church are in Deerfield Township/Mason, West Chester, Kings Mills (Landen) or Loveland.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I would say the single ones are in Downtown, Over-the-Rhine, Mt. Adams, Northside, Covington, or Newport. The married ones are in Oakley, Hyde Park, Clifton, or Prospect Hill. The boring married ones are in North Avondale, East Walnut Hills, Pleasant Ridge, Mt. Lookout, Columbia-Tusculum, Bellevue, or Fort Thomas. And the married ones who have given up on having anything interesting in their life outside children or church are in Deerfield Township/Mason, West Chester, Kings Mills (Landen) or Loveland.
I will admit to being one of those who decided early on my family was my most important obligation. But to say I totally gave up on an interesting life - Wrong, Wrong, Wrong! I had the opportunity for a career with an international organization, working on the shelf of technical innovation. They are still an innovator. Our projects around the globe made my life more than rewarding. So yes there is a career path out there where you get the best of both a family life and a very rewarding personal career. But it is all based on the choices you make in your career path.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Troll much?

Old 09-28-2013, 11:56 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Troll much?

When someone is posting about the residential tendencies of certain demographics at 9:00 on a Friday night you have to take their opinions of "boring" with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati