Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:24 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
One of the reasons why Western Hamilton County voted against it was there was nothing in it for us.

The original plans called for a line parallel to I-71 and maybe crossing over the river to the airport. Eventually there was a potential for some unknown line to serve the western suburbs.

Add to that the fact that we (Cincinnati) do no have the LEADERSHIP to get something like that done... can you imagine what a field day City Clowncile would have with a project like this? My God, they can't even get started on the Banks project - something that has been successfully accomplished in cities across the country - including our neigbors on the other side of the Ohio River.
Building a rail system would require insight, innovation, foresight; our elected officials (I can't call them leaders) lack these.
Let's not forget more tax dollars.. they can't even run Metro efficiently. What makes you think that this will be any different? More government=more inefficiency period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 05:45 AM

710 posts, read 3,046,153 times
metro is run more efficiently than any other transit service in ohio, they have the lowest per passenger cost, lowest per mile cost and lowest per hour cost. And while giving rides to those too young, too old, too poor, or too disabled to drive might be considered inefficient, it is still a good idea to do so.

if we want to get people out of poverty, get people working we need to connect them to jobs, transit does that

Old 12-07-2007, 11:13 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,719 times
There is nothing "efficient" about the single family home, the suburbs, or the passenger vehicle system to transport one person to and from work and the store every day. It's just personally convenient, that is different than efficient.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:33 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
so you would be in favor of abandoning the interstate highway system and switching to toll roads?
Fuel taxes collect 4 times the amount of funds required to build and maintain roads. A feasability study was done on light rail and based on the projected number of users vs. the cost, they found it would be cheaper to just buy everyone that would use it their own Audi TT.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:58 PM

That is not an accurate statement, or perhaps it was accurate when the light rail was proposed, but is no longer an accurate statement.

The federal highway trust fund, based on gasoline taxes will be bankrupt in 2009. The ohio department of transportation's highway fund, funded by gasoline taxes, will also be bankrupt in 2009.

Ohio
The Cincinnati Post - Ohio's highway projects stall (broken link)
Feds
As repair needs mount, highway trust fund faces shortfall (8/16/07) -- www.GovernmentExecutive.com

Old 12-09-2007, 05:10 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
If it's now more cost efficient/ feasible, why wouldn't someone in the private sector invest in doing this? I'm just saying...

Old 12-09-2007, 07:55 AM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
I think allowing the metro busses to use the shoulder on the interstates is a better solution.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:59 AM

526 posts, read 1,482,106 times
Default Once Upon a Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
If it's now more cost efficient/ feasible, why wouldn't someone in the private sector invest in doing this? I'm just saying...
Acutally there was a time when what is now Cincinnati Metro was the Cincinnati Traction Company and it was a private corporation. Evidently, it just became economically infeasible for it to continue as such. So I guess that answers your question - private sector control was tried but did not succeed.

I think that transportation has fallen into the perview of public works - whether it is the federal highway system, federal involvement at airports, or light rail.

Last edited by The Don; 12-09-2007 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
because the amount of government subsidies for road projects makes it impossible for a private company to compete.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 25,203 times
Default Minneapolis has had LRT success

Quote:
Yet,another way to waste tax dollars. Studies were done in other cities that got light rail and it was a bust. Couldn't even pay for itself due to little use and I believe, cost overruns.
Apparently Minneapolis wasn't included in that study.

Minneapolis opened a light rail system in 2004 and it has been a HUGE success (if you know Minneapolis the LR runs along hiawatha ave and connects bloomington, the MSP airport, minihaha, and the major neighborhoods of minneapolis). It has already surpassed its 2030 ridership goals and due to its greater than expected popularity funding was passed to expand the original hiawatha line and add a central corridor line that will connect to the university of minneapolis and downtown st. paul.

I recently moved to Minneapolis after living for many years in Cincinnati and I have been very impressed with the light rail system. It is a great way to get downtown to see a ball game and is really helping revitalize growth in the urban areas along the line. All along the line you can see where new condos are springing up and areas are being revitalized -- which is quite a feat given the current state of the economy. Given future trends in energy cost and commute times, I can only imagine that property values near stations will go up and the value of having a good mass transit system in development will only increase as time goes on.

I only made this post because I was among the many that voted against the Cincinnati transit proposal back in 2002. But after I have seen how great the light rail can be (particuarly when I want to go see a ball game) I can't help but think that a good light rail system wouldn't have been just what Cincinnati needs to help rebuild its downtown and urban areas. I hope that people change their mind and vote it in someday -- but if not at least I can enjoy it here in the twin cities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati