Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,495,570 times

Advertisements

Still happens to my husband at work, here in the hinterlands of WestChester...

Not to me, but I'd have to say I don't think anyone at work mistakes me for a local.

Depends very much on your workplace (blue collar, white collar, heavy on locals, heavy on transplants, etc..) and how much you "blend in".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 AM

133 posts, read 204,112 times
I got asked this one of the first times I went out in Cincinnati but really hasn't happened since.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:39 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,984,986 times
I didn't realize not being asked this question was so traumatizing to some.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,495,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would say its amusing, and reinforces a "small-town" atmosphere..

Not traumatic.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:44 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,709,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I would say its amusing, and reinforces a "small-town" atmosphere..

Not traumatic.
Actually I would say it speaks of a large town atmosphere where there are multiple HSs available. Just a simply inquiry as to which one was yours. Definitely goes hand in hand with intense rivalries. A true small town does not have the multiple selections available.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:01 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,110,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

I would call it odd instead. Who cares where anyone went to high school?

Old 10-07-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I would call it odd instead. Who cares where anyone went to high school?
People from Central and West Side Cincinnati, that's who. The HS rivalries were huge there, particularly among the parochial schools. For many of those students that was the pinnacle of their education. So once your HS was established that placed you in a certain socioeconomic background. Don't think it was frivolous as it was not.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:26 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,110,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
People from Central and West Side Cincinnati, that's who. The HS rivalries were huge there, particularly among the parochial schools. For many of those students that was the pinnacle of their education. So once your HS was established that placed you in a certain socioeconomic background. Don't think it was frivolous as it was not.

That's pretty sad.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
That's pretty sad.
You say sad, why? It was simply to establish a fact. For many of the people involved, HS was the terminus of their education. Are they to be rediculed for that? I don't think so. So It was a natural reaction among the blue-collar and working poor to inquire which HS you went to. If people find that disruptive, so be it. I find it more of an indication as to how working class people in Cincy communicated.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,953,129 times
Speaking as someone who lived away most of my adult life, I've had the question come up, but always as part of a conversation about what part of town did people grow up in, etc. I think the Cincinnati area is probably just about the right size for this to be a question that can lead to some conversational openings in a social setting. The town's small enough that you might end up knowing some people or places in common, and large enough to sometimes have a gee-whiz, small-world moment if you do.

Turned out, for example, that my next door neighbors in the house I live in now are close friends with the couple that bought the house I grew up in back in the 50s-60's. Both are on the same side of town, but not really very close at all geographically. Another neighbor here had worked with my dad at GE back in the day. And in church I attend, I met a woman in her 40s who had my mom as her fourth grade teacher. I think all this is pretty neat, and relate the high school question to these kinds of connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati