Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,788,546 times

Advertisements

I would like a place in Oakley Station or the Rookwood complex for a couple of reasons. First of all, even though I realize they are multi-floor apartment buildings I cannot believe a sizable building would not have an elevator to alleviate your wife's stairs problem. They are new and should also have the ambiances such as in unit washer/dryer hookups. If not they are totally missing the market on both scores.

You are both of an age where you would like to walk to an a nice restaurant convenient to where you live, but you don't want an extraordinary hike. Oakley gives you that latitude. Some locations, even though close, I would rate as a hike rather than a walk. OK, you take the car, still a close drive. Honestly, if it was me I would drive to more places than I would walk. Of course that is why I live in the distant suburbs where I drive everywhere. No decision. just get in the car and drive.

For your overall consideration, I would select the environs around Oakley where I would settle. If you desire green area it is readily available close by.

Relative to Mariemont, it is not a New England atmosphere, it is a Williamsburg VA atmosphere. At your age you need that like a hole-in-the-head. Get a nice apartment near to downtown where your wife can have a convenient and short commute to a job in a hospital on Pill Hill and enjoy your time in Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 10,421 times
Oakley is WAY outside our price range....

I have been talking to a friend who lives on the east side of the area... and getting feedback too.

There is a place in Batavia that is fantastic ... short of the construction and the fact they have no washer dryer hook ups.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpcgamer View Post
Oakley is WAY outside our price range....

I have been talking to a friend who lives on the east side of the area... and getting feedback too.

There is a place in Batavia that is fantastic ... short of the construction and the fact they have no washer dryer hook ups.
If it is truly Batavia, with which I am somewhat familiar, you are taking a substantial commute to the Pill Hill area in Clifton. Now if the wife can secure a position at such as Anderson Mercy it becomes much more practical. My best best advice is have the wife secure a job first and then decide where to live.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM

6 posts, read 7,659 times
Most "locals" who consider Rookwood as Hyde Park are people not from Norwood. They don't want to admit that a really nice shopping center is in Norwood. It's not technically Norwood it is Norwood!! And as a proud Norwoodian it's beyond frustrating.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor2012 View Post
Most "locals" who consider Rookwood as Hyde Park are people not from Norwood. They don't want to admit that a really nice shopping center is in Norwood. It's not technically Norwood it is Norwood!! And as a proud Norwoodian it's beyond frustrating.
When I say locals, I am speaking of those living south of I-71. Those of us who worked at LeBlond realize the land is Norwood up to Madison Rd. Norwood simply lucked out that plot of ground was built into a luxury shopping center. I still say it feels more like Hyde Park than Norwood. Sorry Norwoodians it just doesn't feel like Norwood. Norwood is a nice place but not the class of Hyde Park.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 10,421 times
Ok guys ... a bit over 4 months shy of a year that we have been living in Cincinnati ... and the commute coming from the Amelia area (where we live now) is not great to UC Cinc Health (where my wife works).

It runs from 20 mins when there is no traffic to over an hour when Cincinnati drivers are out in full force. (4 to 6 cars at 80 mph all nose to ass end ... and they are surprised when a 6 car crash ensues.)

We are currently looking to move into the west side of Cincinnati ... Downtown is either pricey or worse ... roaches.

I have talked to way too many places where they make you de-claw your cats ... and I am not mutilating my cats for anyone.

I know have a much better idea of the area and where is where ... so Sharonville and that area are not out of the question, but I worry about the morning traffic on I71 and I75.

Norwood and Hyde Park are very nice areas. As are Mt. Airy and that area. Her Niece lives in Cleeves near Rybold RD and we visit her and her husband often ...

I do love most of the food choices around here ... but its clear people in Ohio have no idea what Chili is ... because if what Skyline passes off is good to your taste buds? Wow ... just wow ... No wonder my Nephew in Law was thrilled when I made him some real chili.

On the other hand State & Shake ... always a crowd pleaser ... as is Smash Burger.... and we both love Krogers.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:00 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,077,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpcgamer View Post
Ok guys ... a bit over 4 months shy of a year that we have been living in Cincinnati ... and the commute coming from the Amelia area (where we live now) is not great to UC Cinc Health (where my wife works).

It runs from 20 mins when there is no traffic to over an hour when Cincinnati drivers are out in full force. (4 to 6 cars at 80 mph all nose to ass end ... and they are surprised when a 6 car crash ensues.)

We are currently looking to move into the west side of Cincinnati ... Downtown is either pricey or worse ... roaches.

I have talked to way too many places where they make you de-claw your cats ... and I am not mutilating my cats for anyone.

I know have a much better idea of the area and where is where ... so Sharonville and that area are not out of the question, but I worry about the morning traffic on I71 and I75.

Norwood and Hyde Park are very nice areas. As are Mt. Airy and that area. Her Niece lives in Cleeves near Rybold RD and we visit her and her husband often ...

I do love most of the food choices around here ... but its clear people in Ohio have no idea what Chili is ... because if what Skyline passes off is good to your taste buds? Wow ... just wow ... No wonder my Nephew in Law was thrilled when I made him some real chili.

On the other hand State & Shake ... always a crowd pleaser ... as is Smash Burger.... and we both love Krogers.
Can you scrape up some cash to buy a home? Might be the best way to get around the cat problem. I have a couple of cats and won't declaw them either. Therefore, I buy houses to live in to avoid a problem with renting.

Cincy Chili is good. A rose by any other name. If it was called something different people would not snub it so much. Call it Greek Goulash and it would be an instant favorite among many people! Skyline uses too much sodium in its Chili. Try some of the mom and pop places like Covington Chili, Price Hill Chili, Camp Washington Chili etc.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 PM

549 posts, read 848,081 times
Do people really consider Rookwood a "luxury" shopping center!?! It's a freaking strip mall, and a horribly designed one at that. I have zero interest in ever going there.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Do people really consider Rookwood a "luxury" shopping center!?! It's a freaking strip mall, and a horribly designed one at that. I have zero interest in ever going there.
You are obviously not the demographic they targeted. But a lot of women frequent there drawn by specific stores which I place in the luxury category. You don't have to be huge to deal in luxury goods. But if you have the merchandise the women will find it.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:03 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor2012 View Post
My mental boundary of norwood is I-71. So I sort of connect Rookwood with Oakley even though I know it is in Norwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati