Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 01:20 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Thanks for your explanation. So Coach is no longer Haute Couture, but what was your term - Mass Market Luxury? That is a good term and one many marketers need to keep in mind. If you can be considered luxurious in the mass market you should have it made.

That is like me buying a Chevrolet and thinking I am getting a Cadillac. But come to think about it, they are designed and built by the same people - not all that much difference.
I'm not a marketer, (a few courses during my masters) so my term may not be the exact one used in the industry, but it conveys the concept well enough.

Calvin Klein, Polo (Ralph Lauren), Coach, etc.. - all are upscale, all are mass market (or at least have mass-market lines).

Like - in your example - Cadillac. Sure, its expensive, but anyone with the money can have one. So its really not an "elite" product.

As opposed to something truly custom made - (whether it be automobile, or clothing). Where there may be other barriers to obtaining the product - finding the exclusive designer, getting them to agree to meet with you, they decide whether you're "worthy" to wear their product/drive their vehicle, etc..

Coach was much more exclusive when it was not as widely sold -- only a few people had them, because you'd have to go to New York, or some other fancy destination to find a store. Now they're probably in just about every upscale shopping area of every metropolitan area. They're still pricey, but they're not "excluseive".

Edit to earlier post:
In my post above I mis-typed the price (and now there is no edit option for me) I was trying to convey -- I meant to say "$400" for a full-price trendy *NOW!* object, as opposed to $40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:02 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Quote:

That is like me buying a Chevrolet and thinking I am getting a Cadillac. But come to think about it, they are designed and built by the same people - not all that much difference.
They are not designed by the same people. Some are not even built by the same people.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:39 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
They are not designed by the same people. Some are not even built by the same people.
So you want to cling to the concept the Chevrolet and Cadillac divisions operate autonomously? That went out the window several decades ago. They will have interchangeable designs and parts anywhere they can for cost efficiency. This holds true for all of the big name manufacturers.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
So you want to cling to the concept the Chevrolet and Cadillac divisions operate autonomously? That went out the window several decades ago. They will have interchangeable designs and parts anywhere they can for cost efficiency. This holds true for all of the big name manufacturers.

There are different assembly plants for Chevrolet and Cadillac vehicles. So they are assembled by different people. The Cadillac vehicles have more "bells and whistles" and powertrains not found on Chevrolet vehicles.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
There are different assembly plants for Chevrolet and Cadillac vehicles. So they are assembled by different people. The Cadillac vehicles have more "bells and whistles" and powertrains not found on Chevrolet vehicles.
Just because they are assembled in separate plants does not mean they are assembled from totally different parts. GM is smart enough to not give the appearance they are the same cars. And since Cadillac has been forced to try and convey they are the equivalent of BMW, Mercedes and other upscale brands such as Lexus, they now have to downplay the old land yacht image.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
They may not operate like in the 60s, but they are also not the same like you are claiming. Sure, there are some mechanical similarities, but the bodies are completely different, since they are designed by different people. The ATS and CTS are on completely separate platforms that are not shared with any other GM product. The SRX is heavily modified from the Equinox as is the XTS to a lesser extent.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 PM

I agree the ATS and the CTS are distinct products. But who identifies them as distinctly Cadillac? That is the problem with all of the American brands. They might as well start over, their brand identification is just that poor.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I agree the ATS and the CTS are distinct products. But who identifies them as distinctly Cadillac? That is the problem with all of the American brands. They might as well start over, their brand identification is just that poor.
Honestly, a lot of people do. The only American brand that is really behind now, is Lincoln, but they are slowly starting to turn things around.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:19 PM

17,577 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Default Does anyone know when move will happen?

I asked when I was there yesterday and no answer.

My guess is next to go will be Kohls

The shopping center would make a great paintball venue, empty stores, hallways and cafeteria

Old 01-01-2014, 04:25 PM

17,577 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
It may have cost 200 million to build, but it has been a white elephant for how many years now? Every time I read about some wild haired idea to convert it I think and what else are you trying to sell - the Brooklyn Bridge? I think Bass Pro decided to relocate just to not be connected with the stigma of the place. They can say they were out of space, but that is rediculous. A couple of walls knocked out and they could have tripled their space at Forest Fair, yes I still call it that as no other name has stuck. As I stated Bass Pro just desires to get away from the stigma of a failed enterprise, and I don't blame them. The only thing I don't understand is why they stayed there as long as they did, must have really been a long term lease with cancellation clauses.
It was a white elephant from the day it opened. It was too big and couldn't support the high priced tenants. Once Biggs closed it was destined to die.

The only good thing was that way back when I had open heart surgery, it was a great place to walk when weather was bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati