Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 11:09 AM

477 posts, read 664,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
My housing choice was based mostly on commute time consideration for me and for my husband. I would move to the east side if it meant that he would have a shorter commute. And of course I would move to the east side because it is becoming more obvious that the west side is the redheaded stepchild around here constantly getting stepped on by other neighborhoods deemed to be more desirable.
Fair enough, and apologies I'm at work and multitasking.

I'm kind of surprised that Cheviot even exists as a separate political entity considering that schools are the same as Cincy's, isn't that strange?

As for westwood itself, there needs to be better neighborhood representation in Cincinnati that's the biggest issue here. Council is super aloof to the needs of neighborhoods and that's really killing the west side. I think a hybrid system of wards and at large council members would help - community councils are a terrible solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Fair enough, and apologies I'm at work and multitasking.

I'm kind of surprised that Cheviot even exists as a separate political entity considering that schools are the same as Cincy's, isn't that strange?

As for westwood itself, there needs to be better neighborhood representation in Cincinnati that's the biggest issue here. Council is super aloof to the needs of neighborhoods and that's really killing the west side. I think a hybrid system of wards and at large council members would help - community councils are a terrible solution.
I too think that council works best when each councilman represents a ward of the city...I don't understand why they've made council the way it is hear.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:57 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
WLWT is reporting that John Deatrick says it will cost between $63 and $80 million to cancel the streetcar.

Deatrick: $63M to $80M to close out streetcar project | Cincinnati - WLWT Home

It's really encouraging to know that Mallory/Qualls have wasted $63+ million on the folly of the decade. It's a cost that now has to be eaten by the city - $63-80 million that could have gone to the neighborhoods. I wonder how many buildings could be rehabbed for the amount of money thrown at the streetcar in that sheer act of lunacy.

Here's to hoping John Cranley presses ahead with cancelling the streetcar and erecting a monument somewhere along with a solemn pledge never to allow Cincinnati to waste money like that again.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,339 times
Only a idiot would waste 80+ million to cancel a project and nothing but debt to show for it. The city credit rating would tumble DOWNWARD.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:14 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Only a idiot would waste 80+ million to cancel a project and nothing but debt to show for it. The city credit rating would tumble DOWNWARD.
80 million has been spent because Mallory/Qualls refuse to listen to anyone on the streetcar issue. The people have spoken loud and clear, it is only common sense to cancel the project before wasting more money on a program that will be scrapped anyway.

By bulling ahead with the project at full speed, Mallory is hoping that he can jack the costs up so high that it becomes impossible to cancel it. And that is why the streetcar needs to be scrapped on principle, no matter how high Mallory can raise that price before December 1. They are now doing nothing but causing damage to Cincinnati's finances and its prospects simply to satisfy a few real estate speculators in OTR/CUF/CBD.

The city's credit rating - and its credibility - may well take a hit after scrapping the streetcar. That's not John Cranley's fault.

That responsibility will lie solely on Mark Mallory and Roxanne Qualls' shoulders. Their legacy will be that they sacrificed the entire city outside of a two-mile radius from the CBD, sold off its assets like the Blue Ash airport and the parking garages, mortgaged its future, and wasted a decade - all at the unholy altar of the streetcar.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:22 PM

477 posts, read 664,551 times
No you are not rational, the person who is responsible for canceling a project is the person who cancels the project.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:24 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
It is just too bad this election is going to be a nemesis around Cincinnati's neck for years to come. It is just sad how a City which has been moving forward can suddenly reverse and go backward in one fell swoop. I lament how the electorate of Cincinnati could vote for this period.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:12 PM

800 posts, read 781,126 times
You can rehab as many buildings as you like, but the fact remains you can place a brand new shiny building in Avondale, no one will want or care unless the area is people want to be there. We have already invested millions in this project, cities from Stockholm to Minneapolis use this system, and it would help create interest in areas along its route as expands, and decreases the need for a car-centric city, creating a more urbane environment. All worthy goals in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:35 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
It is just too bad this election is going to be a nemesis around Cincinnati's neck for years to come. It is just sad how a City which has been moving forward can suddenly reverse and go backward in one fell swoop. I lament how the electorate of Cincinnati could vote for this period.
Agreed. This whole election reminds me of the Visigoths taking over Rome.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
You can rehab as many buildings as you like, but the fact remains you can place a brand new shiny building in Avondale, no one will want or care unless the area is people want to be there. We have already invested millions in this project, cities from Stockholm to Minneapolis use this system, and it would help create interest in areas along its route as expands, and decreases the need for a car-centric city, creating a more urbane environment. All worthy goals in my opinion.
Also agreed. All of Cincinnati's neighborhoods would benefit from this project, even just from the increased tax revenue the city would see alone.

This is an investment in a sustainable, progressive future. Do we want to be another Cairo, IL? I think not. Understand the trends and keeping up with them is how to not achieve that fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati