Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times

Advertisements

In line with corporate moves, as most Saks outside Chicago, NYC, and SF are not in the 'center' core of the metro's core city. As one poster mentioned, it is lucky for Cincy to not entirely lose this retailer because Saks has been hurting since the recession, downsizing and realigning its national footprint. We'll see if the purchase by Canada's Hudson Bay does anything to the brand or the brands Saks carries.

How did I miss this? I must have been busier than I thought over the last couple of days! My opinion, good move. A little surprised and not surprised by the location. Thought Liberty Center would have been a first choice, but that, like most Steiner centers, is a hybrid retail and entertainment center; not exactly Saks first location choice I guess. Kenwood Collection just got a huge boost in capital, great news for a half-built office tower with high-end street-level stores. Being an easy jump from Montgomery, Mason, IH, Wyoming, and much of Cincinnati's upper-crust, they should do well at Kenwood.

Brill, having been in Off 5th, the prices aren't much of a 'discount.' Nordstrom Rack actually isn't bad, but I question a few of their items quality compared to mainline Nordstroms. I hate the traffic too, but I think I'm going to brave it this weekend and try and make a one-time Christmas shopping trip. That should show how big Kenwood's draw is. It is still more convenient for me (on the east side of Dayton) to go to Kenwood than Easton or Polaris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 02:16 PM

165 posts, read 276,774 times
Downtown shopping area still alive for San Francisco, Montreal, Toronto and, in smaller cases, Seattle, Chicago Loop, Portland and Philadelphia.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 PM

165 posts, read 276,774 times
I feel sorry for Downtown Cincy

Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Downtown shopping area still alive for San Francisco, Montreal, Toronto and, in smaller cases, Seattle, Chicago Loop, Portland and Philadelphia.
And Your Point is exactly what? Are you trying to say smaller citieas like Cincinnati have problems witrh downtown shopping? So of the ones you cite, is Walmart present in any of their metropolitan areas?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But then something happened, the suburban shopping center was born. A revolution in retail began. The demise of the death of downtown retail was written all across it.
Yep, and many cities across the country (Cincinnati included) have struggled ever since.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
But look at these cities' downtown population. I know offhand Philadelphia's is around 90,000. In comparison, Cincinnati's is around 10,000.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
But look at these cities' downtown population. I know offhand Philadelphia's is around 90,000. In comparison, Cincinnati's is around 10,000.
OHKID is correct. As well:

I think its unfair to throw in Montreal and Toronto. Not only are both in Canada, but Toronto is by far the largest city in a country of 34 million with 2.5 million in its municipal borders alone, let alone its metro area. Montreal, well, they are French Canadian, so they're just weird, eh?

I also think Portland and Seattle are weird cases because of their compact nature. For Seattle, its the relative size, demographic, and geography that contributes to downtown living. Being hemmed in by water and mountains helps with population density. The only thing similar but no where near as limiting in Cincinnati is the river. Portland has all their regulations in place for growth. And in my opinion, their suburbanites tend to shop in the suburbs just as much as ours with places like Clackamas, Washington Square, and Bridgeport Village. Portland may seem sunny, but its not for everyone, just as urban living, whether Cincy or elsewhere is not for everyone. And just for note, Saks' store in Portland is in the suburbs, and it's an Off5th.

And Philly benefits from the old nature of its historic center. Plus its part of this nations largest "Megaplex", between Boston and DC.

For retailers, including Saks, its about where their customers live, and downtown Cincinnati ain't it.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 PM

307 posts, read 543,553 times
And on a related kenwood note it appears the Barnes and Noble is closing. Honestly I forgot it was still there. Should be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the tenants over there in the next five years.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 PM

I wonder where they are going? That move effectively leaves Barnes and Noble with no store on the Ohio side inside I-275. That's a huge surprise, other than the fact brick-and-mortar bookstores are going out the door!

The shame! The humanity!

No, seriously, where am I going to go to study?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 PM

Interesting. Sounds like B&N basically got tossed to the curb by the landlord! Wonder what is actually in store for this corner of Montgomery and Kenwood??? Wonder where (if anywhere) B&N will go?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...re-Plaza-store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati