Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 AM

114 posts, read 350,492 times

Advertisements

What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

Around a $200k budget
Within 20 minutes of University Hospital (during rush hour)
Move-in ready, somewhat updated
1+ car garage
Small yard
Good school district for resale
Close to shops/restaurants
The house doesn't have to be huge...it's just two of us.

Love Hyde Park/Mt Lookout for walkability, architecture, parks... would I be able to get anything in my budget in that area that is not a total fixer? I've looked online a bit but it's hard to tell because my understanding is that housing stock is lowest this time of year.

I know of some lower priced neighborhoods, like Norwood and Pleasant Ridge, but I've heard a lot of negative comments about the former and the latter seems very spotty in terms of good and bad areas and I don't think the business district area is what I'm looking for.

I've thought maybe a condo is the way to go but the yard is an issue there and I'm not sure I'm up for all of the other issues a condo entails.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:51 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,983,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

Around a $200k budget
Within 20 minutes of University Hospital (during rush hour)
Move-in ready, somewhat updated
1+ car garage
Small yard
Good school district for resale
Close to shops/restaurants
The house doesn't have to be huge...it's just two of us.

Love Hyde Park/Mt Lookout for walkability, architecture, parks... would I be able to get anything in my budget in that area that is not a total fixer? I've looked online a bit but it's hard to tell because my understanding is that housing stock is lowest this time of year.

I know of some lower priced neighborhoods, like Norwood and Pleasant Ridge, but I've heard a lot of negative comments about the former and the latter seems very spotty in terms of good and bad areas and I don't think the business district area is what I'm looking for.

I've thought maybe a condo is the way to go but the yard is an issue there and I'm not sure I'm up for all of the other issues a condo entails.

Thanks!
Off the top of my head, I'd say the combination of 20-minute commute and good schools is the biggest impediment of the items on your list. Overall, I'm guessing Norwood would indeed come the closest, because apparently their schools are not as bad as one would expect, and there is a lot of rehabbing going on there. Within Cincinnati, Hartwell might be a possibiity, because property there is not very costly and their neighborhood school is highly rated.

If you dropped the requirement about good schools, I think your options would open up quite a bit. Parts of Mt. Airy, for example, might fit the bill nicely: the older subdivision streets are still a decent place to live and are not really affected by the crime and poverty plaguing the big Section 8 complexes off of Colerain.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:54 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,545,735 times
Check out Oakley. Look at streets like 31st, Eileen, Minot, Ameliamont, Claramont and others near them. There are a lot of decent little houses that will get you near or below your price point. Oakley's stock has gone up considerably since the opening of the new Hyde Park school. Depending on which street you are on, Oakley kids will either go to Hyde Park or the also coveted Kilgour elementary. Hyde Park is accepting kids up through the second grade and will be adding new grades each year. Both of these schools are among the jewels of CPS, and will put your kid in line for Walnut Hills High School, which is consistently rated among the top high schools in the state.

With the those issues addressed, all of your other desires will be well-served by Oakley.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 AM

114 posts, read 350,492 times
I've heard Robertson is pretty undesirable (although I admit I haven't been there myself), and these areas seem pretty close to that...thoughts?

I think I might be able to swing Blue Ash if I change my hours to commute during non-rush hour traffic. Would 200k be unrealistic for that area?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:42 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,947,710 times
Consider checking out a house or two in PR. I think if you look in the 150-175k range, you'll find the locations to be pretty good.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I've heard Robertson is pretty undesirable (although I admit I haven't been there myself), and these areas seem pretty close to that...thoughts?

I think I might be able to swing Blue Ash if I change my hours to commute during non-rush hour traffic. Would 200k be unrealistic for that area?
Yes, avoid Robertson. It's an industrial area and there are some row houses there that are often a problem. Some of the streets I listed above intersect Robertson, but are perfectly fine. There are a lot of families who live in the "numbered streets", or the Oakley Park neighborhood, as it is also known, and they are very passionate about keeping it a good place to live.

Blue Ash is also doable for you. School opportunities are unquestionably good there. Personally, Blue Ash doesn't do much for me, as it lacks a lot of the personality of neighborhoods within the city, but if you aren't terribly picky about housing stock and are ok with a mid-century suburban feel, then Blue Ash is a decent area.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Check out Oakley. Look at streets like 31st, Eileen, Minot, Ameliamont, Claramont and others near them. There are a lot of decent little houses that will get you near or below your price point. Oakley's stock has gone up considerably since the opening of the new Hyde Park school. Depending on which street you are on, Oakley kids will either go to Hyde Park or the also coveted Kilgour elementary. Hyde Park is accepting kids up through the second grade and will be adding new grades each year. Both of these schools are among the jewels of CPS, and will put your kid in line for Walnut Hills High School, which is consistently rated among the top high schools in the state.

With the those issues addressed, all of your other desires will be well-served by Oakley.
I'm no expert on where the district lines are for the neighborhood grade schools, but do you have to worry about John Parker covering part of Oakley? If so, I believe it's one of those perennially in academic emergency--even though they at least have a new building.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:

I think a lot of people think Blue Ash is all expensive housing, but the older parts have some pretty modest homes here and there. You would probably have to sacrifice on space, because the modest homes there will cost considerably more than if they were in less desirable neighborhoods. I like my current location in the metro area a lot better than Blue Ash, but otherwise I'm a very big fan. The city has plenty of tax revenue and lots of amenities, and the Sycamore school district is one of the best around.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I'm no expert on where the district lines are for the neighborhood grade schools, but do you have to worry about John Parker covering part of Oakley? If so, I believe it's one of those perennially in academic emergency--even though they at least have a new building.
Not any more. Hyde Park is the new neighborhood school for much of Oakley. Some still get to go to Kilgour, but thankfully the JP Parker days are nearly over.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:33 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,028,553 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Yes, avoid Robertson. It's an industrial area and there are some row houses there that are often a problem. Some of the streets I listed above intersect Robertson, but are perfectly fine. There are a lot of families who live in the "numbered streets", or the Oakley Park neighborhood, as it is also known, and they are very passionate about keeping it a good place to live...
Like t45209 observed, to live on directly, Robertson Ave probably should be avoided. But, on the other hand, neither should it be totally condemned.

As he pointed out, many streets leading off of Roberson also obliquely lead into Oakley Square and places like Fresh Market. And these are quiet and benign streets, too.

Also realize that Robertson (going west) efficiently connects Oakley with Norwood, and the core city nearer XU/UC while (going east) it provides a quick connection to the new Oakley Station retail complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati