Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyherewe View Post
kjbrill,

I don't think I understand what you're describing in your #2 complaint. Could you elaborate? Thanks.
I am talking about a left turn lane with a left turn signal light. Some left turn lanes can queue quite a number of cars, particularly if there are additional cars entering the lane as it is emptying on a green left turn signal. At times the duration of the signal is not sufficient to completely empty the lane. This is typically during the high volume traffic times. My complaint is when the turn signal goes to yellow, the purpose is to empty any cars already in the intersection and tell those which have not entered to stop. We have one such intersection near where I live. I frequently see the left turn signals cycle from green to yellow to red and the straight ahead signals turn to green with multiple cars still plowing through the left turn right in the path of the oncoming traffic. The attitute seems to be I am damn well not going to stop and have to wait for a full light cycle before I turn left, the left turn signal should have been longer. This is in complete disregard for other drivers on the road.

I also am aware some left turn signal durations are varied. During the midday when traffic is much lighter the left turn signal is shorter as there are fewer cars desiring to turn left. At the peak traffic volumes of early morning and late afternoon the signal duration is held longer to permit more cars to turn left. Part of this is also to prevent the left turn lanes from backing up to where cars desiring to turn left block the straight ahead lane, causing further conjestion.

The traffic engineers in my estimation do a good job in signal control within the bounds of what they have to work with. The particular intersection I am speaking of was recently widened and right turn lanes added. When the left turn signals for the cross road are activated the right turn signals for the opposing road are activated. This helps move more traffic through the intersection.

On a slightly different note, we have another local intersection of two 4 lane rds plus left turn lanes. Somehow the traffic engineers got the bright idea they could move more traffic by only permitting one quadrant to move at a time. Whether this had anything to do with the fact the intersection is right in front of our large middle school I don't know. The result was a disaster. Since only one quadrant had the goahead at a time, left turns, straight ahead, and right turns were all possible as the other three quadrants were stopped. This experiment was short lived as people rapidly became frustrated. You then had to go through 4 cycles of traffic signals for your next turn. Before long I noticed more running red lights than I had ever seen before. It was quickly converted back to a conventional intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 08:57 AM

242 posts, read 368,879 times
Quote:
Hello all,

We've lived in Cincinnati for a couple months or so, and in Covington for 1.5 months before that.

I have many observations about drivers here thus far, but I will try to keep this brief. I'm someone who notices these things, though I drive as little as possible, preferring to run places, or cycle.

The street where we're renting a house is known for having a lot of young families, yet I am amazed at how fast everyone speeds on it. It's a dead-end street, so no one is using it as a cut-through or a thoroughfare.

I can't expect anyone to comment specifically on my street, but I have noticed the same utter disregard for speed limits everywhere else I have been around Cincinnati. It's certainly not limited to speeding. Turn signal use is very low, etc. Many streets that have 25 mph limits have drivers going what has to be about 50.

I know drivers are aggressive, selfish and unaware everywhere, but it seems to me that the streets here are almost totally lawless. It seems driver get away with just about anything. I'm not even talking here about the occasional examples of maniacs sitting low and to the side in their seats, booming music playing and blasting along, cutting in and out of lanes – you know – the folks with whom you know not to make eye contact or you might get shot. No, I'm talking about the prevailing behavior.

I have called my local police dept. regarding speeding on my street, but I was transferred around by the various people I talked to (who seemed stymied by my inquiry) and finally left a voicemail that has of course gone unreturned.

Any insights would be appreciated. It's driving me crazy.
The speed limits here are extremely underposted, for example on the 1-71 its 55mph, everyone else goes about 70+, besides the grandmas tailgating the semi trucks. On roads with 35 everyone does about 50, on fields ertel road I have seen people do 70! Its nuts especially for a city with a reputation for such slow drivers.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
The speed limits here are extremely underposted, for example on the 1-71 its 55mph, everyone else goes about 70+, besides the grandmas tailgating the semi trucks. On roads with 35 everyone does about 50, on fields ertel road I have seen people do 70! Its nuts especially for a city with a reputation for such slow drivers.
NO, the speed limits are NOT underposted, some drivers are simply lunatics and pay no attention to the laws. There are reasons for the posted limits and they are NOT to generate revenue. Just because we have a few imbeciles who feel their opinion is better than the highway engineers doesn't make it right. The vast majority of the drivers I encounter observe the speed limits and observe the laws. It is a good thing or we would just have complete anarchy. Every time I see someone with only their self-interest in mind, I wish I had a Rumpke truck and could just T-Bone them right off the road.

I agree with some other posters, I have no regard for speeders being ticketed. In fact, I would like to see a fine which begins with the posted limit, granting a 5 mph lenience, and then increasing proportionately to the square of the mileage over. For example, take a 25 mph residential speed limit. Grant a 5 mph overage or 30 mph leniency. Once you reach 35 mph or 10 mph overage, you take a base of 25 and add the square of 10 or 100. That is a fine of 125 for speeding in a 25 mph zone. I guarantee you set fines according to that formula and you will have very little speeding in 25 mph zones or any other zone for that matter.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 AM

25 posts, read 29,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
NO, the speed limits are NOT underposted, some drivers are simply lunatics and pay no attention to the laws. There are reasons for the posted limits and they are NOT to generate revenue. Just because we have a few imbeciles who feel their opinion is better than the highway engineers doesn't make it right. The vast majority of the drivers I encounter observe the speed limits and observe the laws. It is a good thing or we would just have complete anarchy. Every time I see someone with only their self-interest in mind, I wish I had a Rumpke truck and could just T-Bone them right off the road.

I agree with some other posters, I have no regard for speeders being ticketed. In fact, I would like to see a fine which begins with the posted limit, granting a 5 mph lenience, and then increasing proportionately to the square of the mileage over. For example, take a 25 mph residential speed limit. Grant a 5 mph overage or 30 mph leniency. Once you reach 35 mph or 10 mph overage, you take a base of 25 and add the square of 10 or 100. That is a fine of 125 for speeding in a 25 mph zone. I guarantee you set fines according to that formula and you will have very little speeding in 25 mph zones or any other zone for that matter.
I think INsync3 meant, by "underposted" that there are not nearly enough speed limit signs. If that is what they meant, I totally agree. Very often I am left wondering what is the speed limit where I am.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Incorrect and I have proof, speed limits are based on the 85th percentile. I'm guessing your one of those drivers that go 25 in a 50. Have you driven 55 mph, that's very low for a highway. Texas seems to have stopped that issue. Speed limits are lower to get money.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I think INsync3 meant, by "underposted" that there are not nearly enough speed limit signs. If that is what they meant, I totally agree. Very often I am left wondering what is the speed limit where I am.
Actually I have a whole other position on the comment underposted. I believe it was intended to connote the speed limits as posted are below what the traffic can bear and everyone can travel faster as they have determined it is safe. I don't have a problem determining what the posted limit is. If you have a problem the colution is simple, go at the lower speed until you encounter a sign which says go faster.

Why do people have such a problem understanding the 55 mph limit within a city? It is simple, you are in a conjested area, not in the wilds of Nebraska or Iowa. Just another example of how people feel their personal justification overwheighs the rights of their fellow citizens.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Actually I have a whole other position on the comment underposted. I believe it was intended to connote the speed limits as posted are below what the traffic can bear and everyone can travel faster as they have determined it is safe. I don't have a problem determining what the posted limit is. If you have a problem the colution is simple, go at the lower speed until you encounter a sign which says go faster.

Why do people have such a problem understanding the 55 mph limit within a city? It is simple, you are in a conjested area, not in the wilds of Nebraska or Iowa. Just another example of how people feel their personal justification overwheighs the rights of their fellow citizens.
Please just stay in Mason.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
Please just stay in Mason.
If you feel traffic in Mason is light, you are in an entirely out of date aspect of traffic on an daily basis. Because we are one of the most desired places to live in the entire Cincinnati area, we do have a lot of traffic from day to day. So yes, we do have conjestion during the periods of peak traffic. Does that mean we have to be neanderthals to our fellow drivers - I think not.

And you might just stay as well in Chicago instead of interfering with people who actually care about Cincinnati.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 PM

17 posts, read 17,705 times
Quote:
Hi Ruteger. I have to say I have very little sympathy for those who complain about being busted for speeding.
It's best to just stay completely out of Hamilton (and Fairfield, too, for that matter). There's no reason to go there, anyway, and the civic leaders of these places have little interest in anyone coming to their little crap-burgs other than to lighten visitors' wallets and provide nothing in return. On those rare occasions when they do manage to have some sort of event, they specifically target the streets nearby with the mobile camera in the unmarked Ford Escape to cite unsuspecting out-of-towners (soccer event and country fairground car show are examples).

Old 11-25-2013, 09:32 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
NO, the speed limits are NOT underposted

If the speed limits are NOT based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds, then they are underposted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati