Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 AM

47 posts, read 64,094 times

Advertisements

If this already exists forgive me for this thread, I just assumed that it didnt without searching. So being that I have been here less than a year there are still many things I do not know about this City. One of those things is the Ice Skating situation. I want to find a rink that I can use to teach my kids how to skate. Not looking for classes I can teach them myself during a few open skate sessions. I know that Fountain Square has Open Skates throughout the season which could be great but Im wondering how packed is the Ice there? Is there room to move or is it like bumper cars on Ice? Any suggestions on a rink that holds open/public skates that doesnt get overly crowded? If there is an Indoor option other than the Outdoor Fountain Square Rink will there likely be other kids on the Ice who are there just for fun and not showing off like wannabe future Olympians which I have seen at indoor rinks in the past?

Thanks for your Suggestions Insights and Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Fountain square ice rink is open throughout the week and isn't particularly busy on weekdays. So long as you avoid peak times (Friday and Saturday) I think you'll be okay.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Fountain square ice rink is open throughout the week and isn't particularly busy on weekdays. So long as you avoid peak times (Friday and Saturday) I think you'll be okay.
Thank You very Much

Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 PM

50 posts, read 82,750 times
There is also this place in Evendale. Admittedly never been, but they do have public skate times listed.

Northland Ice Center

Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,936,385 times
Northland is a good rink as are the ones at the old sports plus (they have a new name now) on Reading rd in Evendale. I have played hockey at both places and the ice quality is good, the Fountain Square rink not so much and it's a lot smaller. The 2-4 PM public sessions at northland on Saturday and Sunday are less crowded than the Friday and Saturday night sessions.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Northland is a good rink as are the ones at the old sports plus (they have a new name now) on Reading rd in Evendale. I have played hockey at both places and the ice quality is good, the Fountain Square rink not so much and it's a lot smaller. The 2-4 PM public sessions at northland on Saturday and Sunday are less crowded than the Friday and Saturday night sessions.
Thank You I didnt realize the Fountain Square Ice was that much smaller. That kind of steers me away from it. I looked up the Northland Rink I definitely want to check that one out. My kids found out that Santa is on the Ice at Fountain Square every weekend so yeah cant sway them away from Santa but beyond one hour with Santa I definitely want a bigger and indoor place to Skate so Im thinking Northland is looking like the place for me. My only other question is do they offer Hockey Skates as rentals? I no longer own Skates and have never in my life used Figure Skates. Ill take the Rockered Blade over a Toe Pick any day lol. I seem to remember when I used to Skate not all rinks renting Hockey Skates. I tried emailing that question to both Fountain Square and Northland using their Contact Pages but have not gotten a response from either.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 PM

The ice at Fountain Square is so bad they may fall a lot. Northland does have some hockey skates as rentals but may not be available in all sizes. I have always had my own skates so I don't have much experience with rentals.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The ice at Fountain Square is so bad they may fall a lot. Northland does have some hockey skates as rentals but may not be available in all sizes. I have always had my own skates so I don't have much experience with rentals.
Wow really its that bad? They can see Santa at Kenwood they dont need to stumble around on bad ice for that. I really appreciate that info.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:17 PM

Sometimes on the news they show people trying to skate on the fountain square ice and it looks like they are having a hard time and it's because the ice is that bad due to no zamboni, the blades on the rental skates are probably in need of sharpening too.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,546 times
sports plus in sharonville would be great.I play on a hockey team and sports plus or northlands would be great. fountain square ice is complete crap and its way to crowded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati