Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:40 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times

Advertisements

As if there haven't been enough food suggestions...
Should you find yourselves in Over-the-Rhine at mid-day, and all the new trendy places (that is to say, opened within the last 5 years) are full, sweat it not. Between the gentrifying area and Findlay Market lies a local treasure - Tucker's, at 1637 Vine St. The Tucker family was part of the Great Migration from Appalachia following WWII. They struck gold when they decided to open a diner dedicated to "home cooking" their fellow migrants would enjoy. Over time the menu has expanded to include lots of vegetarian-friendly stuff. And Tucker's is what's called an "experience." From the mid-1950's until not long ago, OTR was on a steady downward trajectory as a neighborhood. But that never deterred fans of this place. It's one of those rare and wonderful spots where social boundaries evaporate. Lawyers and corporate "suits" blend in with students, utility workers, 'hood kids, you name it. Food (and music) have a way of doing that sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
I've not been sure how to construe "pass 9" - everybody makes typos, and a lot of locals enunciate "past nine" exactly like that. (The "t" is silent.) This could mean 9 PM, but could also mean 9th St. Downtown between 8th and Central Parkway has always been its "lower rent" and therefore relatively sketchy part. And for a long time the parkway acted as a DMZ between downtown and Over-the-Rhine. "No one" ventured north of Central Parkway as a rule. But this unwritten rule started falling out of relevance over the past decade.
OTR is still very much experiencing the "growing pains" of gentrification and its stubbornly high crime rate is one of the city's largest "white elephants in the living room." But the OP has made clear that as a native Detroiter he knows how to roll in these kinds of areas. So I think we can squash this part of the discussion.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I've not been sure how to construe "pass 9" - everybody makes typos, and a lot of locals enunciate "past nine" exactly like that. (The "t" is silent.) This could mean 9 PM, but could also mean 9th St. Downtown between 8th and Central Parkway has always been its "lower rent" and therefore relatively sketchy part. And for a long time the parkway acted as a DMZ between downtown and Over-the-Rhine. "No one" ventured north of Central Parkway as a rule. But this unwritten rule started falling out of relevance over the past decade.
OTR is still very much experiencing the "growing pains" of gentrification and its stubbornly high crime rate is one of the city's largest "white elephants in the living room." But the OP has made clear that as a native Detroiter he knows how to roll in these kinds of areas. So I think we can squash this part of the discussion.
YES.
Food suggestions, to-do suggestions, view suggestions, rainy day suggestions -- all very much welcome!

Talk about safety, not so much.
If anyone else just can't resist chiming in with their opinion on downtown safety, PLEASE just go start a thread about it.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:07 PM

101 posts, read 182,897 times
One other thing to mention... I believe the Bengals are playing a home game Sunday at 1. That could lock up areas around the stadium for parking, traffic, restaurant reservations etc., but outside of that... you should be fine.

I know you mentioned that you didn't need any tips on safety, but one of the most dangerous areas in the city is around Paul Brown Stadium on game day with a Steelers jersey on.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:18 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
One other thing to mention... I believe the Bengals are playing a home game Sunday at 1. That could lock up areas around the stadium for parking, traffic, restaurant reservations etc., but outside of that... you should be fine.

I know you mentioned that you didn't need any tips on safety, but one of the most dangerous areas in the city is around Paul Brown Stadium on game day with a Steelers jersey on.
I suspect this is a mute point to you. I expect you will be well on your way back to Charlotte by 1:00 PM, I know I would be. Hopefully the rain will not wash everything out for you. It could be a dreary weekend, but you have a number of recommendations to make it enjoyable. Perhaps the rain will drive you to more engagements at Graeters and Skyline, and that is not all that bad. Heve fun regardless of the weather.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:45 AM

50 posts, read 82,833 times
If you are checking out shops in OTR, I would suggest popping into the Rookwood Pottery store (entrance is off the parking lot at 12th and Vine). Was just in there this morning and they have some beautiful stuff in there - and it's a bit of Cincy history.

Since you will have a kitchen in your hotel room, if you are so inclined to try goetta I would get some from Eckerlin's in Findlay Market and fry that up for breakfast or a hearty snack. Peppery and delish.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:31 PM

172 posts, read 254,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg97 View Post
If you are checking out shops in OTR, I would suggest popping into the Rookwood Pottery store (entrance is off the parking lot at 12th and Vine). Was just in there this morning and they have some beautiful stuff in there - and it's a bit of Cincy history.

Since you will have a kitchen in your hotel room, if you are so inclined to try goetta I would get some from Eckerlin's in Findlay Market and fry that up for breakfast or a hearty snack. Peppery and delish.
Agree. Was in there this morning, too. Great place to pick up a souvenir that is made in Cincy.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:35 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,604 times
Thanks for all the tips -- it's been very helpful! Now if you can just do something to hold off the rain, we'll be good to go.

All packed up, just need to load the car and hit the road. Should be on our way by 6am, arriving in Cinci and putting the suggestions to use around 1 or 2.

I'll let y'all know how it goes after I return, probably with Monday morning post.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:52 AM

549 posts, read 849,013 times
Goetta! Oh yes, you MUST try some goetta while you're in town. It's wonderful.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:36 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Goetta! Oh yes, you MUST try some goetta while you're in town. It's wonderful.
He probably will not see this, as he posted they were on their way at 6:00 AM this morning. Unless he is bringing a laptop to use in the hotel I don't expect to hear anything from him until Monday.

I hope the rain is not as much as predicted. The snow wasn't and hopefully the rain will not either. So far my driveway isn't even wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati