Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,139 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm 22, and thinking about moving to Cincinnati within the next few weeks to pursue my Master's degree at Xavier.

I lived for the past few months in DC, and would prefer to live in a lively area with people my own age.

I looked into Mt. Adams, the downtown area, the Gaslight district, Clifton, CUF and Oakley. I am not really familiar with any of these areas, but Mt. Adams seems to have the best nightlife from what I've read and it seems to be safe. Over-The-Rhine looked pretty cool to me, but I've heard it's not that good of an area.

So with all that being said, I'd like to live in an area with people my age (21-28). I lived in a pretty pretentious area in DC, so I would love to avoid that...Anyone familiar with Georgetown knows what I'm talking about.

I'd also like to lay out a few other parameters:

-Want to pay $400-$900
-Would like to live close to downtown and within the city limits (no suburbs.)
-Good nightlife
-Would like to be in walking distance to a grocery store/gym, if possible.
-Don't want to live amongst the pretentious or preppy crowd.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 07:09 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Mt Adams is 'the preppy crowd' and also older professionals. Ditto for Hyde Park. And Oakley to a lesser degree. It is no coincidence that these are also the three of the safest neighborhoods in the City.

I'd look closely at Northside, CUF, and Clifton. I'd recommend OTR, but at this point i think it is out of your price range.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Good suggestions from progmac. I don't think Cincinnati has anything on a par with Georgetown, so don't worry about pretentious. And you're probably going to have to drive to a grocery if you choose an area which meets your other criteria. That's assuming the one in Clifton continues to only promise reopening, which has been the situation for a year or two now.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
How about the new multi-use complex near Xavier? But the construction just really got rolling in July so it may take too long for something to be available. But being brand new it should be nice.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 AM

47 posts, read 64,142 times
Norwood has some of what you want but not all. Youd be sacrificing nightlife there but anywhere within a few blocks of Montgomery and below the Lateral is walkable to everything you would really ever need except nightlife. The bus routes through Norwood are good and its within an easy bike ride to Xavier. I will add that it is technically a suburb but it doesnt act like it. It is surrounded on all four sides by Cincinnati City Neighborhoods including Evanston where Xavier is located. Believe me I hate suburbia but I dont have a single issue with Norwood. Theres nothing really suburban about it. You can stay within your price range there as well. The only sacrifice would be walking to nightlife. If you dont mind riding the bus or cab to nightlife in order to have everything else within walking distance at a reasonable price and be close to your campus, take a look at Norwood or at least keep it in mind as a backup. Oh and as for proximity to downtown you wouldnt want to walk it but its an easy trip through Evanston Walnut Hills and youre there.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:14 PM

^^ I certainly like the suggestion of Norwood. Oakley is a good site, but I feel you will rapidly exceed your price point unless you double with a roomie, which is another idea. Oakley definitely has walkable nightlife but is further to Xavier and what I would want to be walking on a steady basis. In fact I wouldn't want to be walking from most of Norwood to Xavier, bicycle maybe but not walking.

A lot of it boils down to whether you intend to have a car or not. If not, I would stick around Oakley or Norwood which have decent bus service when weather is bad. When weather is decent you can bicycle it and be proud you are living the ecological life.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,139 times
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the areas of Norwood and Oakley. I probably won't have a car so I'll have to keep that in mind.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:29 PM

477 posts, read 664,551 times
Becaue you don't have a car, look into the metro-plus service which just happens to run through norwood, while it only runs on the weekends, it makes getting to places along the route (including XU) a lot easier.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:54 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Becaue you don't have a car, look into the metro-plus service which just happens to run through norwood, while it only runs on the weekends, it makes getting to places along the route (including XU) a lot easier.
What are you talking about? Metro Plus runs all the time I thought. Maybe NOT on weekends?

Old 12-26-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
What are you talking about? Metro Plus runs all the time I thought. Maybe NOT on weekends?
I believe that is correct, it is currently a weekday service. Every 15 minutes from 6am to 6pm, every 30 minutes 6pm to 10pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: