Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:07 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I have. And the best way to handle the situation is to leave it. Fighting only antagonizes them. If you don't believe me, here's more info from stopbullying.gov:

What You Can Do | StopBullying.gov

Specifically it says don't fight back. Leave the situation instead and ignore the bully's antagonization. Go to those who support you and leave those who do not behind
I turned the other cheek one too many times. Result? The incidents kept happening over and over again. The only way to deal with a thug that has an IQ of a turnip is to clobber him. You can't reason or use logic with a cretin and expect to win them over to your side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 05:57 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
If you can't pass the background check then yes I do
We passed our background checks, thank you!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
I don't think too few guns is really the reason there is a relatively high level of crime in Detroit. A populace without much hope for the future and a significant drug/gang presence - that's more likely the culprit.

While I certainly hope the Chief does well by my former stomping grounds, I thought his refuse to take the exam in Cincinnati was poor indeed. Odd, when I accept a position, I fill out whatever paperwork and take whatever certification exams my employer requires. The Chief's insistence that he was "special" really was annoying.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I turned the other cheek one too many times. Result? The incidents kept happening over and over again. The only way to deal with a thug that has an IQ of a turnip is to clobber him. You can't reason or use logic with a cretin and expect to win them over to your side.
This. I promise you that the minute you let it rip on that bully, he will deflate pretty quickly once he realizes you aren't a pushover.

Telling a teacher is akin to calling the cops - they show up after the fact and decide to punish the both of you, or neither at all.

That said, in before the thread is locked/moved.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:
I have. And the best way to handle the situation is to leave it. Fighting only antagonizes them. If you don't believe me, here's more info from stopbullying.gov:

What You Can Do | StopBullying.gov

Specifically it says don't fight back. Leave the situation instead and ignore the bully's antagonization. Go to those who support you and leave those who do not behind
Clearly you were never bullied in school. None of that works... The best solution in grade school was slicing my knuckles on the guy's teeth. Did I get in trouble? You betcha, I got called into the principal's office and got reamed. But I never had a problem with that bully again.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
^ As much as I disagree with you on other issues (Cincinnati's streetcar, etc.), I strongly agree with both WILWRadio and you here on responsing to a bully.

Whether in grade school, HS, or adulthood, the only thing that brings a bully to his knees is a set of knuckles in the middle of his mouth. Make the bully cower, make him cry, make him hurt. Works every time.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ As much as I disagree with you on other issues (Cincinnati's streetcar, etc.), I strongly agree with both WILWRadio and you here on responsing to a bully.

Whether in grade school, HS, or adulthood, the only thing that brings a bully to his knees is a set of knuckles in the middle of his mouth. Make the bully cower, make him cry, make him hurt. Works every time.
Exactamundo. When dealing with a shark that smells blood or a pit bull out for your throat you have to act accordingly. And this the bully's mentality. They only understand physical pain if they are trying to physically intimidate you.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:13 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
Anecdotally, the most violent cities seem to be the ones with most restrictive gun laws....Detroit, Chicago, LA, and DC. I'm really interested in seeing what happens with crime in NYC over the next few years with the election of the new mayor. I am a numbers-driven person, see below study:

New Study Demolishes Almost Every Gun Control Myth

by Noah Rothman | 1:29 pm, January 3rd, 2014

A study published in the latest issue of the academic journal Applied Economics Letterstook on many of the claims made regularly by advocates of stricter gun laws. The study determined that nearly every claim made in support of stronger restrictions on gun ownership is not supported by an exhaustive analysis of crime statistics.
The study, “An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates,” conducted by Quinnipiac University economist Mark Gius, examined nearly 30 years of statistics and concluded that stricter gun laws do not result in a reduction in gun violence. In fact, Gius found the opposite – that a proliferation of concealed carry permits can actually reduce incidents of gun crime.

“Using data for the period 1980 to 2009 and controlling for state and year fixed effects, the results of the present study suggest that states with restrictions on the carrying of concealed weapons had higher gun-related murder rates than other states,” the study’s abstract reads. “It was also found that assault weapons bans did not significantly affect murder rates at the state level.”

“These results suggest that restrictive concealed weapons laws may cause an increase in gun-related murders at the state level,” the abstract concludes.

Gius notes that his findings are consistent with those of John R. Lott and David B. Mustard, two researchers who authored a controversial 1997 study which found that right-to-carry concealed gun provisions both “deters violent crimes and it appears to produce no increase in accidental deaths.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online...n-control-myth/

Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Exactamundo. When dealing with a shark that smells blood or a pit bull out for your throat you have to act accordingly. And this the bully's mentality. They only understand physical pain if they are trying to physically intimidate you.
Yes, we all do understand. Whether it's a "male-thing" or not is totally irrelevant. Bullies respond to both fear and pain--and that's all there's needed to know.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:33 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
The people who go to the time and expense of getting their weapons permits are not the ones you need to worry about. It's the folks who don't have their permits are the ones to be concerned about.

I'd guess there's at least a 1,000% higher chance of being shot by someone without a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: