U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 PM

12,608 posts, read 8,211,162 times

Advertisements

Good for him. Guns don't kill people, bad people kill people

Detroit Police Chief: Firearms carry "...acts as a deterrent"

"I changed my orientation real quick. Maine is one of the safest places in America. Clearly, suspects knew that good Americans were armed…"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,303,738 times
Why is this guy not in Cincy right now. Pay this man and pay him well!

Old 01-05-2014, 07:50 AM

5,808 posts, read 9,623,199 times
Yes, criminals think twice about attacking or burglarizing a property and people that might be able to fight back. Bullies pick on people they perceive as weak or weaker than themselves. If you appear strong and armed they are very likely to avoid you at all costs.

Cincy does not have a very bad crime rate compared to most cities over 100,000 people. Last I knew it was in the middle of the pack in terms of its crime rate. Places like KC, St. Louis, Detroit, Flint, MI (small city though), probably Gary, IN are far worse than Cincy. Would not be surprised to find most of the cities that have high violent crime rates probably have a lower rate of gun ownership than those with lower crime rates.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 AM

4,821 posts, read 12,134,707 times
Cincinnati didn't have its first homicide of 2014 until a whole 45 minutes after the first one in NYC.
(Someone was shot in Evanston, and expired, at around 2 AM on New Year's Day. It's a good thing I'm not a betting man since my money would've been on Avondale or Fairmount/"East Westwood" or OTR or Walnut Hills to win that dubious distinction.)
Detroit is a shining - if you will - example of the "virtues" of an armed populace.
The Second Amendment re-interpreters conveniently forget that many if not most crimes committed by armed perpetrators carry the element of surprise. So far I've had a Saturday Night Special held to my lower left ribcage during the robbery of the store I was working in. And I've stared down gun barrels in the midst of a street hold-up and when a nervous neighbor called 911 thinking my building was being broken into. (Quite the experience to have a "piece" trained on you by a cop from your own back porch, lemme tell ya!) None of these incidents would've left me living to talk about them had I gone all heroic with a weapon of my own. The perps had the upper hand each time, and quick cool thinking is what saved the day. I lost money and a watch in each of the robberies but walked away unscathed. The cop was eventually convinced that few burglars strip to shorts before cleaning out a house, when had I gone for a pistol (if I owned one) the outcome might have been far different.
As for Chief Craig, he was made an offer by his hometown that he couldn't refuse. From all indications he'd been well liked in Cincinnati and had started some good initiatives. But "certain political factions" were hounding him about a superfluous "certification exam" and he was probably glad for the chance to take a hike up I-75.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 AM

6,490 posts, read 7,798,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Detroit is a shining - if you will - example of the "virtues" of an armed populace.

And Chicago is a shining example of the "virtues" of a handgun ban.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:09 AM

6,490 posts, read 7,798,460 times
Quote:
Cincinnati didn't have its first homicide of 2014 until a whole 45 minutes after the first one in NYC.
I thought guns were illegal in NYC?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:34 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,229,493 times
Quote:
(Someone was shot in Evanston, and expired, at around 2 AM on New Year's Day. It's a good thing I'm not a betting man since my money would've been on Avondale or Fairmount/"East Westwood" or OTR or Walnut Hills to win that dubious distinction.)

As for Chief Craig, he was made an offer by his hometown that he couldn't refuse. From all indications he'd been well liked in Cincinnati and had started some good initiatives. But "certain political factions" were hounding him about a superfluous "certification exam" and he was probably glad for the chance to take a hike up I-75.
Walnut Hills may not be the smart money on murders anymore. It ranked behind Madisonville, Kennedy Heights, Mt Airy and any number of other neighborhoods in 2013. It was only one ahead of Oakley.

As far as Craig and that exam was concerned, it was a state law. I don't know whether it was political or not that it was pointed out that he had not fulfilled the requirement that all other officers in the state have to fulfill, but what really irked me was his stubborn arrogance in flouting the law. What gave him the authority to pick and choose what laws he wanted to follow? I can think of a lot of stupid laws, but I as an average citizen don't have the ability to choose which laws to follow and which ones not to. It may be a superfluous requirement, but change the law, don't ignore it.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,229,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And Chicago is a shining example of the "virtues" of a handgun ban.
I am far from anti-gun, but I don't see a huge problem in Cincinnati with the average law abiding citizen being gunned down in the streets. Eliminate murders that are drug and gang related, or domestic violence and Cincinnati would be a virtual Mayberry. There are those unfortunate few situations with perceived soft targets like convenience stores and other robberies gone bad that make you wonder if it might had turned out differently had the victim had the means to defend themselves, however I have a hard time looking at Cincinnati's crime stats and seeing where more guns would reduce our violent crime rate. I honestly don't think that those who are committing these crimes really care if the victim has a gun or not in most instances.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 AM

9,259 posts, read 14,697,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I am far from anti-gun, but I don't see a huge problem in Cincinnati with the average law abiding citizen being gunned down in the streets. Eliminate murders that are drug and gang related, or domestic violence and Cincinnati would be a virtual Mayberry. There are those unfortunate few situations with perceived soft targets like convenience stores and other robberies gone bad that make you wonder if it might had turned out differently had the victim had the means to defend themselves, however I have a hard time looking at Cincinnati's crime stats and seeing where more guns would reduce our violent crime rate. I honestly don't think that those who are committing these crimes really care if the victim has a gun or not in most instances.
But those who advocate packing heat like the old wild west days will totally disagree. The only gun I ever owned was an air powered target pistol. And after we were married my wife made me get rid of it. I would prefer to see legislation passed to outlaw any form of private citizen arms possession, the exception possibly being a pure hunting gun, with a 410 shotgun being the limit.

Hang the 2nd Amendment, it is an obsolete leftover over two centuries old. Those who advocate the concealed carry laws are the same ones who will violate any other law passed for the protection of citizens, including vehicle speed limits (they know best when it comes to speed), zoning laws (I can do whatever I see fit with my property), and such.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM

5,808 posts, read 9,623,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But those who advocate packing heat like the old wild west days will totally disagree. The only gun I ever owned was an air powered target pistol. And after we were married my wife made me get rid of it. I would prefer to see legislation passed to outlaw any form of private citizen arms possession, the exception possibly being a pure hunting gun, with a 410 shotgun being the limit.

Hang the 2nd Amendment, it is an obsolete leftover over two centuries old. Those who advocate the concealed carry laws are the same ones who will violate any other law passed for the protection of citizens, including vehicle speed limits (they know best when it comes to speed), zoning laws (I can do whatever I see fit with my property), and such.
The nice thing about a gun ban which would keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens is that the black market will continue to flourish and guns will find their ways into the hands of the criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: