Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:14 PM

17,298 posts, read 13,042,795 times

Advertisements

As GoyGuy said, the Reading Road and Swifton threads have kinda washed out. So, here is a new one

Gluecks Phcy, at Reading and Paddock
Plotnick's RR and also Golf Manor
Garber's Burnett ave
Schlarman's
Zinneckers in Sharonville (later had new owner and became Sharonville Phcy)
Roselawn Phcy
Center Phcy
Lowenthal's California and Redding
Bennett's (sp?) Drs Bldg downtown
Reed's I forget location
Mark's Winton Rd then Clifton)
Feuer Nightengale's in PRidge
Plogmann's in Clifton

Old chain Revco

I know their are more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 05:08 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,693,012 times
Braun's Pharmacy in Madeira.
Had the old fashioned soda fountain. How many remember getting a phosphate on the way home from school?

Wer also sat and read comic books for hour on end. Once In awhile we would actually buy one, but mainly we just read them.

Last edited by kjbrill; 01-11-2014 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,275,146 times
and sooooooo German are most of those names .. going back to roots of the town

Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 PM

4,881 posts, read 13,742,426 times
Roselawn Pharmacy lives! A couple of years ago they left the Valley Shopping Center (mostly vacant) but didn't go far. They now occupy their own new, free-standing building at the corner of Reading Rd and Northwood. In the same vicinity, though, Sycamore Square Pharmacy used to fill prominent space on the ground floor of the green "brick" mid-rise office building of the same name at 8040 Reading Rd. I haven't set foot in that building since the days of my pediatric medical and dental check-ups (not exactly yesterday) but I suspect that operation is long gone.

The big-box drug store killed off every single independent pharmacy in/near Wyoming, one by one. Back in the day you could fill a scrip, pick up a Whitman's Sampler, and browse the comics (and, later, the rock n' roll fan mags) at any one of these:

Sanders (now home to Gabby's Restaurant)
Obert's (various businesses, including a very early Domino's, have called its Springfield Pike space home)
Schwallie's (at least one doctor still practices in their building at the start of Compton Rd)
Igler's (where Cramer's Hardware is today)

The goyguy family favored Igler's for their medicinal needs despite going to church with the Sanders family (also famed for the pharmacist/owner's red-haired wife and kids, lol) and Mr Obert's pharmacist Lee Weber. In foggy days of yore Igler's did business out of an old brick building perched squarely at the corner of Hereford and Vine St. That was when they had a lunch counter and soda fountain. Sometime in the 60's, to "keep up with the times," they had that structure knocked down along with others on the block in favor of a strip mall. (Opening up more space for parking also had a lot to do with it.) Their white "economy" hatchback cars were a familiar sight in our driveway - I suspect their longstanding home delivery service had a lot to do with my parents' loyalty to them. Once they'd withstood the invasions of the Kroger subsidiary "SuperX" (can't replicate the logo with the "Rx" abbreviation for "prescription" here), and later Revco, it seemed they'd be around "forever." But the arrivals on Vine St of CVS and Walgreen's - not to mention mail-order prescription services - did them in.

What's not brought up much in discussions of how big-box and other chain stores hurt local economies is the effect their landing in a community has on youth employment. Gone are the days when an ambitious high-schooler looking for some dating/car/college money could saunter into his/her neighborhood drug store, be recognized by folks working there, and saunter out minutes later with their first job. A school chum kept gas in his muscle car that way. Nowadays I suppose one could still go to a corporate Website, apply online, and hopefully wind up hired. But stores calling themselves pharmacies are far more vast and complicated today. When's the last time you visited a chain drug store and spotted a teen you knew stocking shelves or running a cash register? Or even recognized the pharmacist?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 PM

Plogman Phcy on McMillan
Barrow's moved to Section and RR
Tishbeins
Sharonville Phcy (the old Zinneckers) moved to Elmwood Place and became Elmwood Place Phcy

BTW, Revco became Marsh's and Marsh's became CVS The original Cincy Revco was on 5th street and you gave the prescription to the cashier in the front who placed it in an electric train that ran around the store to the pharmacist and the finished prescription was placed in the train and sent to the front of the store

Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,527,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Igler's (where Cramer's Hardware is today)

The goyguy family favored Igler's for their medicinal needs despite going to church with the Sanders family (also famed for the pharmacist/owner's red-haired wife and kids, lol) and Mr Obert's pharmacist Lee Weber. In foggy days of yore Igler's did business out of an old brick building perched squarely at the corner of Hereford and Vine St. That was when they had a lunch counter and soda fountain. Sometime in the 60's, to "keep up with the times," they had that structure knocked down along with others on the block in favor of a strip mall. (Opening up more space for parking also had a lot to do with it.) Their white "economy" hatchback cars were a familiar sight in our driveway - I suspect their longstanding home delivery service had a lot to do with my parents' loyalty to them. Once they'd withstood the invasions of the Kroger subsidiary "SuperX" (can't replicate the logo with the "Rx" abbreviation for "prescription" here), and later Revco, it seemed they'd be around "forever." But the arrivals on Vine St of CVS and Walgreen's - not to mention mail-order prescription services - did them in.
My grandmother worked for Igler's at that soda fountain when she was a teenager prior to WWII. To the day she died, she never had one good thing to say about working there. We even found her diary, and she wrote daily about what a miserable place it was.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:38 PM

I hope that diary was saved for posterity. I love seeing "ephemeral" stuff like that from previous generations of my family (especially photos. )
Teens are never satisfied with jobs, no matter what decade they reached that phase of their life in. Not to discount this relative's experience, exactly, but there's that to consider. The mentality that you can just stand around and wait to ring up a customer gets disavowed fast! And the manager might not appreciate your having four friends sharing "the latest" with you for hours either.
My classmate who I mentioned up-thread had what might or might not have been exaggerated teen male fears of older gay men. (At that stage of existence they're of course exaggerated >99% of the time, LOL. I'm no angel of political correctness, I had 'em too.) He'd go on about a pharmacist at the drug store where he worked - one visit there while that pharmacist was on duty was enough for me to not completely scoff. The man crossed no lines of propriety but was all about shoulder grabbing and back slapping with the younger guys, beyond what would be considered "normal." Nothing inappropriate ever took place (or at least was reported) and he was a fixture at that store until the owner retired and closed up shop.
Finding out from people other than your parents that you're not the center of the universe, and learning to cope with persons deemed sketchy, are essential formative experiences. It's harder and harder for adolescents to land jobs in small neighborhood businesses that allow for this. Then again, the whole notion of "neighborhood" has changed with the proliferation of gated urban-sprawl developments anyhow.

It's been said that pharmacies actually had their heyday during Prohibition, because of the number of prescribed medications at the time which contained alcohol. (Mouthwashes and cough syrups - among many other things - still do.) When I lived in Quincy MA the neighborhood drug store, probably long gone, even had a beer/wine cooler just as most "regular" convenience stores do. Between 1927 and '33 it's conceivable that you could walk into a pharmacy with a password and promptly get served whatever libation you were after - no need to track down the local speakeasy. This could even be where an expression I like, "good for whatever ails ya," stems from. It's easy to picture a conversation such as: "Officer, my doctor told me that only 120-proof whiskey will help my headaches" "Who's your doctor?...he's a reputable practitioner, all right. Enjoy your medicine, sorry for the disturbance." Once pharmacies were no longer the liquor purveyor for many people it could be that construction of the road to today's big-box drug stores got underway.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM

64 posts, read 141,734 times
ROHE pharmacy in Cheviot.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 PM

No relation to Rahe's Meats, I take it. Wrong vowel!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 PM

I have a framed Prohibition RX for Alcohol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati