Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:34 PM

76 posts, read 317,079 times

Advertisements

I had forgotten all about that photo booth! It was against the east wall of the store near the windows and an exit to the outside. My friend and I would squeeze into the booth together and make silly faces for the camera as a way to spend a Saturday afternoon. What fun! The pictures came out with a sepia tone to them.

I believe Murphy's also had a pet department in the basement. I think you could get turtles, parakeets, and fish there. I can't remember if the fabric department was in the basement or directly upstairs. My mom did a lot of sewing. I have boxes of beads and sequins she bought with the little white GC Murphy price tags still on them!

Yes, the Honeycomb was just west of Murphy's. And I DO remember those sprinkle-covered soft serve cones and the walk-up window. You have a good memory! And there was a women's hat store next door, correct?

Some people mentioned that miniature circus that was set up every year. I vaguely remember that. Where was it displayed?

I remember Walgreen's had a little metal swinging gate you had to push to enter the sales floor. This was once you got inside. (I believe Walgreen's was next to the hardware store near the corner by the rides--or was this Kresge's?) Anyway, it was the business in that location which had the swinging gate.

Oh, and wasn't there a large circular fountain near Murphy's?

How I miss the fifties and sixties!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 04:19 PM

311 posts, read 1,753,120 times
Default Walgreen's - and lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgibb1 View Post
I remember Walgreen's had a little metal swinging gate you had to push to enter the sales floor. This was once you got inside. (I believe Walgreen's was next to the hardware store near the corner by the rides--or was this Kresge's?) Anyway, it was the business in that location which had the swinging gate.
Walgreen's opened onto the main concourse. Its northern wall formed
part of the northwest alcove, just east of Graeter's. Small oblong
windows on the north wall allowed one to peer in to the dining area.
Walgreen's, like Rolman's/Mabley's and maybe even Murphy's and
Kresge's, served food - as did many drugstores, dime stores and most
department stores in those days. The food at Walgreen's was similar
to a coffee shop, but Mabley's was a tad more upscale.

I, too, can remember a metal turnstile, but am pretty sure that it was in
Walgreen's. Maybe Kresge's had one as well.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 PM

76 posts, read 317,079 times
Murphy's indeed had a lunch counter. It was on the west wall when you entered from the main concourse. A girl who was in my grade at Bond Hill School had a job at the lunch counter in Murphy's. I remember that she had struggled in grade school and wondered if she had dropped out of Woodward to work at Murphy's.

I forgot about Walgreen's serving food--you are 100 percent correct! That one section on the north end was reserved for the food area and perhaps that is why there was the metal turnstile and gate--to separate the restaurant part from the rest of the business.

I am fascinated by how much people remember from so many years ago!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:52 AM
MMZ

1 posts, read 5,568 times
I probably was one of the first to even cross the mound of dirt before construction of Swifton Shopping Center. I believe the Swift family mansion was there before it was torn down to build the center. I was only 4 at the time. That was in 1954. I crossed the dirt mound with a little boy friend of mine and we trucked over to see Wooodward High school. So, I saw what was there from the very beginning. I eventually gradually from Woodward in 1968 and know the place very well. Ask me anything. The department store at one end was Roman's as I recall. G. C. Murphy's was at the other end and so was Kroger's opposite to that. You could get a banana split for as little as a penny if you chose the right banana on the mirror. There was also a Fifth Third Bank there; I am not sure when that went in. It was truly a great place. Why do things have to change!

Last edited by MMZ; 09-23-2007 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 AM

25 posts, read 139,989 times
We moved to Bond Hill in 1954 and although I remember when Rollman's opened, I have no recollection of it being built nor of the "Swift Mansion," so this is very interesting! Was Swifton Village being built at that time (or before)? Do you also know any history on the golf course (Maketewah (sp?))? I remember great sledding there, and always running to hide fom the yellow truck in the warmer weather when we tried to sneak onto the course to play. there was a shot gun pidgeon range on top of one of the hills...had a green wooden structure/tower. Do you know of any history books or writings on the history of Bond Hill?

Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM

526 posts, read 1,481,763 times
Don't know if it was part of the original Swifton Shopping center, but I seem to remember a Chinese restaurant on the west side of the center (same side as Walgreens). That restaurant stayed there after most of the center had closed down.
I also remember spending too much of my allowance at a Radio Shack in Swifton.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:44 AM

311 posts, read 1,753,120 times
Default Dragon Inn

The Chinese place was the Dragon Inn, I'm pretty sure. It took over
the site of the departed Colony restaurant.

That's right - the Radio Shack. They were somewhere close to
the Liberal grocery, maybe on the same site. I seem to recall
going there to buy tubes (!), ca. 1968.

It looks like no one has mentioned the state liquor store, which
was in the lower level, across and east from Hill's Barber Shop.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,484 times
My memories of Swifton were Christmas....when a helicopter would drop Santa off, and all the kids would follow him to his little house to sit and tell him what we wanted...it was awesome! And I remember as you waited in line there was an exibit of Christmas surprises...I also remember there was a Santa at Mabley's that gave out balloons attached to a straw....and I often qustioned my mom how Santa would get from one area of the mall to Mabley's and she told me he ran in the tunnel under the mall!! Such Awesome memories!!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:58 PM

526 posts, read 1,481,763 times
Default Hardware Store

I remember one more store - a hardware store on the north west corner (facing the high school), across from the north wall of Walgreens. I don't know if it was part of the original configuration of stores but I know it was there in the early sixties. I believe the name of the store was Carlson's. I think it later changed its name to Small's.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,971 times
Default Swifton Shopping Center

I grew up in Bond Hill, and then Roselawn.I went to Swifton quite often bewteen 1958 and 1963. I do remember that Mabley& carew replaced Rolman's Dept Store. There was Pasqualies Pizza, GC Murphy(where I would get a sub sandwich at the counter), SS Kressges, Richman Brothers(where my parents bought my suits). My favorite memories occurred during Halloween and Christmas. During Halloween they used to have a costume and trick or treat night. WCPO set up a remote from there and one Halloween they actually put me on camera. The next day at Woodward High(across the street) everyone commented they saw me. During Christmas the decorations were great. I remember several giant candles at the outside of the M&C building off of Reading Rd. They were beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati