Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 PM

6 posts, read 30,561 times

Advertisements

hey, if i could POST a pix here from the photobooth, i would!!! we sure were goofy looking back there. can't say that i have changed much either...lol! those were the daaaaaaaaaaaaaays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,080 times
Default Swifton Center

There were two Supermarkets in Swifton Center. A Kroger and a Liberal Supermarket. When it first opened Liberal brought in a giant Longhorn Cheese as a promotion.

I do not remember tow Department Stores. However ther was a CG Murphy's. I went to Woodward High School and lived in Swifton Apartments so I walked through the mall every day.

That is the first place I ever ate pizza.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 PM

295 posts, read 974,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padget View Post
There were two Supermarkets in Swifton Center. A Kroger and a Liberal Supermarket. When it first opened Liberal brought in a giant Longhorn Cheese as a promotion.

I do not remember tow Department Stores. However ther was a CG Murphy's. I went to Woodward High School and lived in Swifton Apartments so I walked through the mall every day.

I can remember a Lerners Shop being there and maybe McAlpins in the early 70s.

Swifton was such a nice shopping center back years ago.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:44 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
The "anchor" department store (at the south end of the mall, towards Langdon Farm Rd) was originally Rollman's. In the early '60s it became Mabley & Carew - known as "Mabley's" to all. The mid-70s saw its purchase by the Dayton chain Elder-Beerman. They later converted it to their outlet store before it finally closed sometime around 1990. Now that the "Swifton" name has disappeared completely in favor of "Jordan Crossing," I hear that the new owners have converted that space into an area for meetings and functions. Haven't checked it out but my dad has.

Last edited by goyguy; 03-25-2008 at 08:55 PM..

Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 15,010 times
does anyone remember the name of the cafeteria in tri-county mall in the late 60's? it was located between kroger and pogue's.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:43 PM

3 posts, read 15,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padget View Post

there also was a Baker Shoe Store on the corner near Elder Beerman (Reading Road side). There was a dentist office on the lower level.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:43 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,082 times
Default A funny thing happened on the way to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinjoyce View Post
does anyone remember the name of the cafeteria in tri-county mall in the late 60's? it was located between kroger and pogue's.
I think that was the Forum Cafeteria you remember from
Tri-County, stampinjoyce.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:17 AM

22 posts, read 100,031 times
I also worked in Swifton after school from Woodward> I worked at the Black Angus Butcher shop. My sister worked at Susan Ives clothing and at gentry when they started a woman's section. Does anyone remember Betty Tessel who ran the downstairs department at Gentry? The was also Harry Katz Jewlers.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:41 AM

25 posts, read 140,022 times
I learned to love pizza at Pasquales! For a quarter, you got a small, piping hot, plain cheese pizza. No pizza comes close to that (although tastes change over time, so I'm not sure if i tasted it today that I would feel the same.)

I recently got on the real estate listings for Bond Hill, having grown up there in the 50's & 60's. I lived on Laidlaw Ave., and subsequently in Swifton Village. I particularly enjoyed seeing some photographs in the listings of old, old houses (even giving the date of building). Of course, they are very delapidated now, one on Regent Ave. going for $5,000, but it looked all boarded up. Do these houses really sell? I also saw a passing reference to a "historic district" in Bond Hill. Does anyone know where that might be? Also, I saw some new homes on Rhode Island Ave that undoubtedly were where Swifton Village was. What's up in that area, anyone know? Also, what is the progress on the new Bond Hill School? I heard it was being buit in a similar style to the old school. Any photos someone could point me to?

This is a great site for walking down Memory Lane!! (And yes, the cafeteria in Tri-County was a Forum.)

Old 06-17-2008, 09:05 AM

116 posts, read 304,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud03 View Post
This is for Margi, Its nice to have someone to share memories of old Swifton Center; My Dad worked there for 10 yrs and I was there every Sat.from 1960-1970. There was a GC Murphy,SS Kresge,Walgreens,along with Mabley and Carew.There was a Kroger and a Liberal supermarket there at the same time.I remember when Anissa Jones(Buffy) came there in 1969,it was wild.I also remember when Glen (Skipper) Ryle did his show live from the mall.
Bud, I worked with your dad. I worked for Maurie Fogel in PR and when he didn't have work for me, I worked in maintanence and cleaning.

I can picture your dad, but I don't remember his name.

I also drove the tunnel like a mad man.

Remember the giant talking easter bunny? I spent many days inside that thing talking to kids with a PA system. (I also talked to friends at Woodward, they had no idea it was me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati