Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:41 AM

311 posts, read 1,752,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgibb1 View Post
I am not sure how long Rollman's was in existence, but I do remember it was a very elegant store and going there was an adventure.
Ditto.

My own dim recollection of events would place the change of ownership
somewhere around mid-late 1961.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,213 times
Default swifton

I lived in Bond Hill from 1965-1980's. Yes Mabley's was at the south end of Swifton. Lots more to say but at work.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 AM

19 posts, read 146,380 times
Default Beechmont Mall

I remember Beechmont Mall being built in 1969. Although locals thought it would never be built as the sign announcing it's coming deteriorated and fell down 2-3 years before groundbreaking. It sat across from Anderson Elementary/Jr. High. Shillitos was at the west end and Pogues at the east. There was a record store with beads/incense/black lights, a fireplace shop, Thornberry's (sp?) Toy Store, a cafeteria, a five and dime type store which I remember being a Woolworths, Thriftway (never shopped there for some reason) , an Aladdins Castle game arcade, a book store (Waldens??) and much more, but it's been 30 years since I've darkened it's halls. Can anyone remember more of the earlier, original stores (not the stuff at the end?)

Last edited by KevinOMReb; 03-18-2009 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: Continuation

Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Ah, Beechmont. Sorry, the only things I know about the place were from when I lived in the area in the late 80s/early 90s.

I lived in Newtown from 1987-1996. At the time, Beechmont Mall had a Lazarus, Hills (closed in the early 1990s) and eventually a Parisian. Elder-Beerman might've been there too at one point, but the mall always seemed to be dead and in various states of decline. The only reason my family ever went there was for Unos Pizza. My grandparents loved going to the Bill Knapps at the corner of Beechmont and Five Mile.

Come to think of it, we always went to Eastgate for anything mall-related.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 AM

19 posts, read 146,380 times
Default Any one remember the shoe store in Cherry Grove Plaza?

It was right next to McAlpin's and they had taken three Studebaker dashboards with pedals and you could "drive them" while your brother or sister was fitted for shoes. Does anyone remember the name?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 16,342 times
There is a strip mall called Western Hills Plaza on Glenway Avenue, it has been there for ever. When I was a tot in the 50's and early 60's it had a summer amusement area with merry go round, little boats, and a few other rides located behind the plaza. The stores were Mabley & Carew, Western Auto, a mens clothing store, Krogers, a F & W Woolworths 5 & dime, Globe Records, an eye glass store, a high class womens store, Graters Ice Cream, a locksmith, Murray's Beauty Salon, a loan office, a hardware store, barber shop, gift shop, jewelry store, bridal shop, Demetro's Restaurant, a bar, Marmers Shoe Store, Hallmark Store, butcher shop, bakery, A & P Grocery Store, Walgreens, a nicer restaurant, McAlpins, a couple of banks. The stores have changed off and on over the years.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 16,342 times
Could have been Marmers.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 32,120 times
Smile I remember the Beechmont Mall in the early 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOMReb View Post
I remember Beechmont Mall being built in 1969. Although locals thought it would never be built as the sign announcing it's coming deteriorated and fell down 2-3 years before groundbreaking. It sat across from Anderson Elementary/Jr. High. Shillitos was at the west end and Pogues at the east. There was a record store with beads/incense/black lights, a fireplace shop, Thornberry's (sp?) Toy Store, a cafeteria, a five and dime type store which I remember being a Woolworths, Thriftway (never shopped there for some reason) , an Aladdins Castle game arcade, a book store (Waldens??) and much more, but it's been 30 years since I've darkened it's halls. Can anyone remember more of the earlier, original stores (not the stuff at the end?)
There was a United Dairy Farmers, Music World (store with the beads and black lights), Hot Shop, Getz Jewelers, Hanover and Marmer shoes, a pet shop, orange Julius, Cracker Barrel, Bottom Half, County Seat, Walden's, Super Rx, Skeffingtons, Brendemours, Radio Shack, plus what you named.
By the late 70's-early 80's the mall was changing for the worse. I remember a Unos opening, then an addition to the rear, then finally knocked down. It was a shame--I liked the place

Last edited by ismtex; 05-18-2009 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-18-2009, 02:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOMReb View Post
Pogues was never in Beechmont Mall. Mabley and Carews was there until it was taken over. Then it was Ayer's then Parisian.

The cafeteria was Hot Shoppes and eventually Uno's.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
At the time, Beechmont Mall had a Lazarus, Hills (closed in the early 1990s) and eventually a Parisian. Elder-Beerman might've been there too at one point, but the mall always seemed to be dead and in various states of decline. The only reason my family ever went there was for Unos Pizza. My grandparents loved going to the Bill Knapps at the corner of Beechmont and Five Mile.
Federated's discount chain Gold Circle was in Beechmont first. Then Hill's until it went bankrupt. Then, K-Mart moved in there from Cherry Grove.

Since over 50% of Beechmont's customers were from Clermont, Brown Co. and east, when Eastgate opened, the place was doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati