Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 09:57 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
Sums up my one time there as well.
Doesn't take too many comments like this to make customers disappear.

I assume they are leasing the space. Are they current on the lease? From what I read the owner gave them 10 days to get current or he would shut them down. I believe that is his right.

I would really like to find out more about what happened to the operation in Hamilton - you know the successful soul food establishment used as the model for why the City granted Liz Rodgers the sweetheart deal for the Banks.

Best I can tell it closed in January 2013 and remained closed until December 2013. It reopened with a New Name and said New Owner. Anytime an establishment closes for a year, it is due to more than just redecorating.

My appraisal is it took that long for the new owner to obtain financing which would make the property free and clear to her to move in. When I say free and clear, I mean absent of liens against the property to recover debts of the prior occupant. I am not an expert on liens, but I know they are a powerful tool. You can place a lien against a property for the recovery of unpaid debt. The actual property owner can find he is prevented from using, leasing, etc the property until the lien is resolved. Seems unfair to the property owner, but the fact is if he gives use of the property to an unscrupulous individual who just runs up a large amount of unpaid debt while using the property, he can be held in abeyance until those debts are settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 07:25 AM

Have you noticed the owner of Mahogany's, Liz Rodgers, is complaining to the media she is being singled out and subjected to unfair treatment for situations with her business no different than many other businesses go through.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
Cranley decision to not support the 30 story apartment complex is way way many times more messed up than this.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
For or against? I'm for progress.

Progress is not comments like this.

Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Obviously no one cares for soul food or the place would be busier.

Progress is taking risks.

I could have have easily said the Reds would have been much better season if it was busier at the box office, but no one cared enough to fill the stadium or Hotel Discovery because no one cares about the cuisine or it would have been much busier.

Honestly I just think the comment was racist.

Wow...calling my comment rascist...if the people who go out to The Banks liked soul food, why was the place never ever busy when places like Holy Grail, Tin Roof, Jefferson Social, The Yardhouse etc etc were generally much busier. The answer is because they are not fans of soul food and they like American Sports Bar food.
My best friend, a black guy and I went out to the Banks several times...he never once wanted to try Mahogany's out...we always went to the Lagerhouse or Yardhouse or Crave or the Holy Grail. The Banks are set up for Sports fans...w/ the 2 stadiums on each side. Sports fans want sports bars type food. Those that like Soul Food were never going to just drive to The Banks to get it. They most likely have neighborhood places that serve it or more than likely cook it much better themselves, like my friend's grandma.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yeah, I agree that this was the wrong kind of business for that area. A perfect illustration of why government should leave business to the free market. From what I understand her business was doing fine in Hamilton and had a solid niche market. I doubt any coherent studies were done that showed which demographic segment of the population was going to utilize this business in that part of downtown. Instead of using logic and facts to support the desire to issue this grant, it was obviously done on emotion and someone's belief that it would work there. Now the taxpayers are going to pay for it again and the owner is essentially ruined. Sad.

I'm very liberal but I do agree...when it comes to where businesses open, let the Free Market decide. And never give Tax Payer money to a business in any form. Tax breaks are one thing...but loans are a flat out gift should never be given just to open a certain business.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:53 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
Apparently some guy named Damion Lynch stole $80k from the business. The report was filed weeks ago.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Apparently some guy named Damion Lynch stole $80k from the business. The report was filed weeks ago.
He is/was the general manager of Mahogany's. Where did you come across this tidbit?

While theft is rife in the restaurant business, well-managed businesses can safe-guard against it to a large degree. Assuming it's true, I'd say this is symptomatic of a poorly run organization.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
He is/was the general manager of Mahogany's. Where did you come across this tidbit?

While theft is rife in the restaurant business, well-managed businesses can safe-guard against it to a large degree. Assuming it's true, I'd say this is symptomatic of a poorly run organization.
Ms. Rodgers was talking about it on the news this evening, although she didn't name the employee. Just another of her many excuses, although she again assured us all that the restaurant was about to catch up on its bills and is going to be doing just fine.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Ms. Rodgers was talking about it on the news this evening, although she didn't name the employee. Just another of her many excuses, although she again assured us all that the restaurant was about to catch up on its bills and is going to be doing just fine.
Sarah... Do you believe this?

Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 PM

410 posts, read 586,841 times
I really hate to see a local business fail. Hopefully she will be able to pull this out...a partial payment was made today.
http://http://www.bizjournals.com/ci...ment-must.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati