Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,348 times

Advertisements

I saw a super cute place in Columbia Tusculum and I think there are lots of cute places to live in this area, but I am concerned about the lack of racial diversity in this area. Landlords seems okay to rent to me (I am african american), but I am not sure if it is just because they want their place rented (in the dead of winter), or if it is because the area is truly open to other races other than white. In driving around, I don't see anything other than white people - then again, I didn't drive the whole area. I want to be in an area that is safe for me to be in, and that I feel comfortable having friends of diferent races over to visit, or if I would be looked at as "out of place" if I were to walk into any of the local stores/establishments. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,511 times
Columbia Tusculum is a great place to live, close to downtown and to hyde park, mt lookout etc. It is about 90% white but still has a rather large Appalachian population. Great bus service into downtown and a lot of neat local places. I really doubt you will have any problems over there and if it isn't as diverse as you would like, keep in mind you moving there makes it more diverse, you avoiding it makes it less. Overall the city is 50% white, 45% black.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:13 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
My impression for Columia Tusculum (driving through, going to stores, etc..) is that it is more segregated by income than anything else. It is a little pricier place to live, and in general (huge generality here - no one get angry) the white population in Cincinnati has a little more money than the minority populations. It seems to be a pretty tolerant / funky place, so I wouldnt' think you'd have any social problems (being looked at suspiciously or anything)..

Good luck, let us know how it goes.. !

Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 24,061 times
We own a house in Columbia Tusculum, and one of the reasons we bought in this neighborhood is the diversity. Now having said that, the diversity is still relative. (Overall, Cincinnati is a pretty segregated city compared to other places I've lived). However, we found that Columbia Tusculum offered more social variety than Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout. There are people of different races, professions, and sexual orientations. Everyone isn't a white couple that works for P&G. And I totally agree with the poster above -- if you move there, you will just be adding to the diversity, which really makes the community even richer (in my opinion).

Old 01-29-2008, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 32,163 times
If your black, you wont like it, beleive me! You'll wish you had of moved up the street to walnut hills or evanston! Good luck! Iam just keeping it real!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:08 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,192 times
I moved to Columbia-Tusculum from Clifton and I love it! My complex is mostly white buy I don't feel uncomfortable or out of place. Hyde Park is a 5 minute drive away and is to me one of the most diverse areas. Come on over, you wont regret it!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:48 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
I moved to Columbia-Tusculum from Clifton and I love it! My complex is mostly white buy I don't feel uncomfortable or out of place. Hyde Park is a 5 minute drive away and is to me one of the most diverse areas. Come on over, you wont regret it!
Good for you!

CT is a gorgeous gem that is going to do nothing but improve over the years! I can't wait to see it in 5-10 years...

Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 40,944 times
Wink Columbia-Tusculum

Black people do not typically live in this part of town. There are a few. This area used to be primarily Appalachian, but was gentrified in the early eighties, and Black people resent any kind of gentrification. Middle Class Blacks live in WestChester, Springdale, Sharonville, Colerain Township(east), and Sycamore Township. Also many live in North Avondale.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,859 times
Default Hello There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethericartist View Post
Black people do not typically live in this part of town. There are a few. This area used to be primarily Appalachian, but was gentrified in the early eighties, and Black people resent any kind of gentrification. Middle Class Blacks live in WestChester, Springdale, Sharonville, Colerain Township(east), and Sycamore Township. Also many live in North Avondale.
I took interest (not offense LOL) in your reply...being black, and not being opposed to gentrificaton, I was just curious as to why you made that kinda broad based statement in your reply

Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 AM

71 posts, read 229,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I took interest (not offense LOL) in your reply...being black, and not being opposed to gentrificaton, I was just curious as to why you made that kinda broad based statement in your reply
Me too.. it kind of threw me off by the comment the poster made. The poster took a paint brush and took a broad stroke and put ALL of us that are "so called" blacks into the same category of thinking..

Yes please explain........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati