Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:12 PM

422 posts, read 758,901 times

Advertisements

Actually I think Toledo would be far more likely to leave the state than Cincinnati.

Generally speaking, outside of the Columbus area, people in Ohio aren't too thrilled about "Ohio" in general. For example, in Columbus every business is "Buckeye" this and that. Outside of Columbus, no one gives a ****. In the rest of the state, nobody really identifies as being an "Ohioan" or even has much idea what that means.

I know people born and raised in Ohio who still refer to folks from Ohio in the third person, as if those "Ohioans" out there are big rednecks who wear overalls and live out in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 12:12 PM

40 posts, read 186,675 times
My "dystopian" prediction:

Eventually the federal government and most of the state governments will collapse due to bankruptcy and extreme resource shortages, probably over the next 10 to 15 years. The basic framework of Regional governments are already starting to emerge in many of the large metropolitan areas around the country, but particularly in Ohio and other Midwestern and Northeastern states. These will eventually supersede the state governments in function, if not outright authority.

It might seem far fetched now, but there will likely come a time when Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus will all stand mostly on their own as some sort of "Neo-City-States" or a form of state/municipal government hybrid that extends over an entire multi-county metropolitan region. For Cincinnati, this would extend outward to include Dayton, as well as SE Indiana and Northern Kentucky (i.e. Covington, etc). Cleveland is already planning to incorporate an area that also includes Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Mansfield. My guess is that Columbus will cover its' own multi-county region, while Toledo joins Detroit.

There, will of course, be outlying areas outside the Neo-City-States. These will mostly become the realms of outlaws and rogues, as well as independent, libertarian-style groups and individuals.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 PM

30 posts, read 136,432 times
that's not so much a prediction as it is economic reality. Honestly, many midwestern cities have grown dense around artificial state borders strictly due to differences in law & tax code. Economically, Cincinnati spans from Dayton to Lexington and halfway to Indianapolis. To answer the original post - Kentucky wouldn't have it. Cincinnati is the North and far too liberal (no cynicism implied). If you want a city state, you could grab Covington, and the Forts (again) but don't expect to grow beyond the old Civil War lines. They still exist. I wish I knew that before I moved down here. If there is any jealously, its for the political influence and pork controlled by Cleveland and Columbus. My perception is that central & NE Ohio throw alot of tax dollars into Cleveland and especially Columbus, while Cincinnati, because of it's more conservative nature, is outcast. It's pure politics. Cincinnati will get by without it though. It's a more stable, "set in its ways" community and seems able to endure in spite of the progressivism the world makes around it. Breaking away would be a terribly un-Cincinnatian thing to do.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:47 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy-girl-dayton-native View Post
And dont even get me started on the small minds of the great Cincinnati. Only place in AMERICA can can put Jean Schmidt in Congress!!
Hee. You know, Jeannie wasn't so bad when she was just a little ol' Miami Township trustee. I guess being a little fish in a big pond doesn't agree with her. It certainly hasn't taught her any grace or humility, but if I go much further this will have to be moved to the "Politics and other Controversies" forum. LOL.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
While the Nati' is a diversified solid city somewhat different from the rest of the state, where are you going to secede to, Kentucky?? Indiana?? Not exactly progressive states in their own rights. The better question is how can the Nati' make a positive impact on the rest of Ohio in helping the overall state economy grow how they have? I think the Nati' & Cbus are great cities, both quite different from each other. I think all major cities in the country should look to Louisville, KY as an example of how to run their local government as they for the most part merged w/the entire county they are a part of. A Cincinnati-Hamilton Co. alliance or a Columbus-Franklin Co. alliance would be outstanding steps in the right direction in getting the rest of the state to consolidate government services. Way too many small town/city local governments in the state that are focused only on their little area, not realizing or at least not caring about the greater impact that the region plays.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
While the Nati' is a diversified solid city somewhat different from the rest of the state, where are you going to secede to, Kentucky?? Indiana?? Not exactly progressive states in their own rights. The better question is how can the Nati' make a positive impact on the rest of Ohio in helping the overall state economy grow how they have? I think the Nati' & Cbus are great cities, both quite different from each other. I think all major cities in the country should look to Louisville, KY as an example of how to run their local government as they for the most part merged w/the entire county they are a part of. A Cincinnati-Hamilton Co. alliance or a Columbus-Franklin Co. alliance would be outstanding steps in the right direction in getting the rest of the state to consolidate government services. Way too many small town/city local governments in the state that are focused only on their little area, not realizing or at least not caring about the greater impact that the region plays.
franklin co. pretty much is columbus, but cinci, yeah, they need to swallow a few communities.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:21 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post

Hey... Cincys City Manager Milton Dohoney is from Louisville Ky...so is there hope for us yet??

Old 06-28-2008, 04:24 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
That would never happen. Cincinnati is bound to Ohio if nothing else by Dayton. They are two completely different cities, but many Daytonians travel to Cincinnati for different things. Also if one of the cities picks up or booms, the other will likely follow right behind it.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM

32 posts, read 34,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
You're no different than any other state. I live in East Tennessee which is nothing like West Tennessee. North Florida is vastly different than South Florida. There is New York City and the rest of the state. No. Cal. vs. So. Cal. and on and on. Just enjoy that you're different than Cleveland.
Same with Pennsylvania. Eastern PA is more like New York and New Jersey (with NE PA being more like upstate NY, and SE PA being closer to New York City/NJ), and western PA is sort of a mix between West Virginia in SW PA, and Ohio in NW PA.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:07 PM

29 posts, read 135,622 times
when I turn on the news almost every morning there is a stabbing or a shooting in Columbus it's sort of a joke between me and my husband 'we'll say let's turn on the tvand see who got shot or killed this morning .I'd rather live my little country town than live in Columbus .and of course I have ties with Cincy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati