Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 02:58 PM

12 posts, read 25,202 times

Advertisements

You can say what u want, r these cliques like in the bigger city's no would they survive H***No, but the reason the police is worring about ur tint vs the violence in the city because they don't have the skill to handle the guns floating around here, I mean 4 real r you gonna answer a call of gunfire or pull over the car with dark tint, seems like I'll make it home for dinner if I pull over the car and go to the shoot out after their done. Think about that too, they always manage to get there after the perps are gone and the smoke is clear and a body or two is down....... But hey what is life without takin risk. Since January 2010 we've climbed up to 40 + homicides...

Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM

Westwood ain't much better, why u think u can buy so easly, and there are alot of body eventually found in the woods...... No delivery after dark and in the winter after 4....

Old 07-15-2010, 03:06 PM

It warms my heart that u take pride in what u do... Stats or not I see no pride in a mother cryin for her son or daughter.. Just like New Orleans, Cincinnati will soon parish and those guns will be swept away in floods of hell. But for real the violent gangs have nothing on the ones running the city, wonder why it's so hard to find work???????

Old 07-15-2010, 04:09 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,301 times
First, this thread is ridiculous, but I have to comment on it so people can get an understanding of why some are concerned enough to start a thread like this. Second, for those who say Cincinnati is safe, well it maybe safer than places like Detroit, St. Louis, DC or Baltimore, but its not all that safe. Safe would be Des Moines, IA or Salt Lake City, UT places like that. There isnt really any major city in the state of Ohio that is relatively safe. The economy here has taken a turn for the worst so of course there will be crime problems, but to say a city is safe just because it is safer than somewhere else is incorrect.

Third, Cincinnati has gangs, but it doesnt have a gang problem that rivals cities like Chicago or LA. I used to live in Chicago, Southside 79th & Jeffery, Englewood, etc.... Definitely know what living in a gang infested community is like, but I will say Cincinnati does have its problems that many concerned parents would worry about as well as mostly all of Ohio's urban areas. A few years ago the state of Ohio was ranked 4th in the country for gang activity. And also a few years ago the OTR was rated the most dangerous neighborhood in the country.... Im actually right now watching a news report about gang activity in Sandusky, the home of Cedar Point... Go figure.... To sum it up yes gangs exist in Cincinnati and of course parents are concerned, but if you know your kids whereabouts and make sure you are aware of your surroundings, you shouldn't have a problem.... Thats my 50 cents....

Old 07-15-2010, 04:25 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
. . . .The economy here has taken a turn for the worst so of course there will be crime problems....
This is a misconception that we really need to root out and kill.

Poor people do not commit crimes because they are poor. They commit crimes because they are criminals. The very very few isolated circumstance where a person who is thrown on hard times goes out and tries to stick up a convenience store or steal out of a garage or whatever is so small that it should be considered as a zero in the analysis of the causes of crime.

It is a bigoted and demeaning shibboleth that poor people commit crimes because of their economic circumstances. This implies that otherwise honest law abiding folks will commit crimes when the times get tough. Actually it is the other way around. People become poor because they commit crimes. And, they commit crimes because they are mentally impaired by drugs and alcohol, because they are morally deficient, and because they are sociopathic. And, when they commit crimes, they invariably get caught for some of their crimes, get into the criminal justice system, and become poor and unemployable.

There are tens of millions of people in this country alone who are desperately poor and who never think of committing a crime. And, there are many many persons with shiny cars, money in the pocket, a flat screen tv at home and drugs on them that do not hesitate to kill someone for a few hundred dollars.

Everyone should get out and meet and work with some poor people and see that they are every bit as honest as those with money and that their good moral values sustain economic hardship.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 PM

269 posts, read 778,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Beanz View Post
You can say what u want, r these cliques like in the bigger city's no would they survive H***No, but the reason the police is worring about ur tint vs the violence in the city because they don't have the skill to handle the guns floating around here, I mean 4 real r you gonna answer a call of gunfire or pull over the car with dark tint, seems like I'll make it home for dinner if I pull over the car and go to the shoot out after their done. Think about that too, they always manage to get there after the perps are gone and the smoke is clear and a body or two is down....... But hey what is life without takin risk. Since January 2010 we've climbed up to 40 + homicides...
This is probably more suitable for an enitrely different thread, but I have found Cincinnati and Ohio cops in general to be VERY laxed about window tint. I have 5% window tint and a tinted license plate cover which has not caused my any problems here. On the other hand, during my short time living in SC, my window tint and license plate cover has led me to the shoulder of the interstate three times within a six month period.

Also, I have heard horror stories about how 'racist' the cops are in Cincinnati and that you will be pulled over just for being black. Speaking as a minority, in my two plus years living here, I have not been pulled over once. Even when I occassionally sport a flat-brimmed New Era to the rear, I never get second looks from the cops. It could also be the fact I drive a Subaru WRX and not an 85 Chevy Caprice.

That leads me to another thing. I definitely do not condone racial profiling by cops, as I have been a victim of it myself, but what gets me is when someone is driving an old-school car jacked in the air with dual exhaust and 28-inch rims with four 15-inch subwoofers rattling the trunk and shaking the whole neighborhood, then when they get pulled over, they scream racial profiling.

Minorites, especially blacks, commit an overwhemingly majority of crimes committed, but yet we still wonder why cops are quick to assume we are up to no good. Like I said, I do not condone racial profiling, but a small part of me says "I can't blame em."

Maybe once I get pulled over in Cincinnati for no apparent reason and have to stand on the side of the freeway in snow and 15 degree weather, while a cop searches my car (like what happened to me a few years ago on I-90 in MA ) then maybe I might be singing a different tune.

Sorry about the rant and long sentences.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
This is a misconception that we really need to root out and kill.

Poor people do not commit crimes because they are poor. They commit crimes because they are criminals. The very very few isolated circumstance where a person who is thrown on hard times goes out and tries to stick up a convenience store or steal out of a garage or whatever is so small that it should be considered as a zero in the analysis of the causes of crime.

It is a bigoted and demeaning shibboleth that poor people commit crimes because of their economic circumstances. This implies that otherwise honest law abiding folks will commit crimes when the times get tough. Actually it is the other way around. People become poor because they commit crimes. And, they commit crimes because they are mentally impaired by drugs and alcohol, because they are morally deficient, and because they are sociopathic. And, when they commit crimes, they invariably get caught for some of their crimes, get into the criminal justice system, and become poor and unemployable.

There are tens of millions of people in this country alone who are desperately poor and who never think of committing a crime. And, there are many many persons with shiny cars, money in the pocket, a flat screen tv at home and drugs on them that do not hesitate to kill someone for a few hundred dollars.

Everyone should get out and meet and work with some poor people and see that they are every bit as honest as those with money and that their good moral values sustain economic hardship.

No one was refering to poor people in general, If it seemed that I was referring to poor people I apologize, but I was not referring to poor people. I was referring to increases in unemployment, job losses, and foreclosures just to name a few. Although Cincinnati hasn't taken as hard of a blow as other cities in this state, Cincinnati is no exception neither is Columbus. I work with poor people alot and I agree with you that just because someone is from an impoverish background does not mean that he or she is more than likely going to commit a crime. I agree with you 100%, but at the same time statistics show that when the nation suffered from the recession last year, crime went up in numerous US cities. It is what it is.

U.S. recession fuels crime rise, police chiefs say | Reuters

Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 PM

Reuters is a news outlet with an agenda. They surveyed the police departments and reported what they wanted to make their point.

Without analyzing the data, on first glance I would say that FBI Crime Reports show the opposite. The two worst recessions within the FBI crime reports published data period, 1981-82 and 1991-92, were periods of decline in crime. There are no comprehensive statisitcs yet for 2009, but since everyone would agree that 2008 was not as good a year as 2007, even though only a few months of recession had hit, since 2008 shows lower crime than 2007, I'd call BS on Reuters.

I wouldn't trust Reuters to report anything other than through their biased progressive lens. The threat of increasing crime by the "disaffected poor" is a template to impose greater entitlements. The progressives have been using this argument forever and its just so unfair and disrespectful. If they want more money from me, I'd be happier to give it up to honest persons in need instead of giving greater benefits to those who are about to commit a crime if they don't get (fill in the blank here: more unemployment, food stamps, rents subsidy, etc.). They think we are supposed to be afraid of higher crime and therefore more willing to let them tax and spend more. Its really a stupid argument, IMO.

Here is the link if you want to analyze this a bit. I'll look at it as time permits:

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2008

Last edited by Wilson513; 07-15-2010 at 08:32 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post

Maybe once I get pulled over in Cincinnati for no apparent reason and have to stand on the side of the freeway in snow and 15 degree weather, while a cop searches my car (like what happened to me a few years ago on I-90 in MA ) then maybe I might be singing a different tune.

A friend of mine from Michigan and I were once cruising around in Indiana countryside. We were in, of all things, a Ford Pinto. It was after dark and headlights appeared behind us, almost tailgaiting. We thought the car wanted to pass, so my friend got as close to the shoulder as possible to give the guy room on the narrow road. Nothing doing. We kept trying, and were driving slow to let him know it would be easy to pass. Still no luck. It was starting to freak us out. Then there were two sets of headlights behind us. And then...red, white, and blue! red, white, and blue! We pulled over, and the officer appoached the car, ordered us to place our hands on the dash where he could see them. He had his hand on his holstered gun. With the flashlight in our eyes, he wanted to know what we were doing out there, whether we had been drinking, if we had anything in the car we shouldn't have, the usual routine. Then he ordered my friend out of the car. We still didn't know why we had been pulled over. My friend kept asking, and finally the officer said it was because we were weaving...of course we were weaving to give him room to pass! My friend went through the field sobriety test, etc, and finally was returned to the Pinto because they couldn't get us on anything, because we hadn't done anything. The last thing the officer said to us was, "It ain't a good idea to be driving in Indiana with Michigan plates."

My friend and I are white. What do we get to blame this on?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post

My friend and I are white. What do we get to blame this on?
I got the full felony stop with the cops with guns drawn and "put your hands over the head" and get out of the car, etc. Paunchy white guy in a suit. Somebody in a black car made a withdrawal from a bank where he didn't have an account.

Who can I blame that on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati