Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,921,749 times

Advertisements

There is gangs in Cincinnati, but there is gangs in every medium-large city in Ohio. However, Cincinnati doesnt have nearly as much of a gang problem as a lot of cities its size do. From my experiences Cleveland, Columbus, and even Lorain have a lot worse gang problems than any area in or near Cincinnati. I have seen very little proof of gang presence in Cincinnati, but I am just saying there are gangs there because I have heard of a couple and it would be nearly impossible for a city to not have gangs in 2008.

About the crime stats: Cincinnati is more dangerous than Chicago. Im not saying Cincinnati is really bad, Im just saying it would be nearly impossible for a city of Chicagos size to have the same crime rate as a much smaller city like Cincinnati without having a ton of crimes. I have also seen that Chicago doesnt always get the stats out right, but I think its obvious that a smaller city with a moderately high crime rate would be higher than a city Chicagos size. However, there is a much larger gang problem in Chicago than Cincinnati.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 AM

74 posts, read 281,817 times
Who cares? Crime is crime and every city has it. Let's all stop pretending we live in the ghetto, shall we?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
When I was young, we walked the neighborhood for something to do. I think a lot of time, people who are paranoid about crime see kids now a days walking around or hanging out in neighborhoods and think of them as gangs. I DO NOT think there is a Gang problem in Cincinnati or the surrounding areas. I know there are young kids who try to make their own neighborhood gangs, but those cannot be taken seroiusly. If you would yell BOO in front of most of them they would run home to their mommies. There are areas some peopel might like to claim as theirs to sell drugs but most neighborhoods stay on top of those things and they can be ran off pretty quickly with a little assistance from the police & neighborhood groups. THis is not some big coverup or conspiracy or denial...there are no gang probelms in Cincinnati.
there is a gang problem in the city, but it doesn't compare to the truly ganged-up towns like chicago and los angeles. cincinnati has a violence problem that most cities don't have. two sides to every coin .

Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humlermw View Post
Who cares? Crime is crime and every city has it. Let's all stop pretending we live in the ghetto, shall we?
i do my good sir .

good post, cle440. i was talking to some friends this weekend from cleveland and lorain, respectively, and they were telling me about some of the growing gang activity up there. imo columbus is the most ganged up of the ohio cities. it's getting worse and more disrespectful. a gang member flipped over a murdered rival's coffin last week, inciting a big fight between whatever gangs they were. shameless...

Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
there is a gang problem in the city, but it doesn't compare to the truly ganged-up towns like chicago and los angeles. cincinnati has a violence problem that most cities don't have. two sides to every coin .
I dont agree with you and as a current resident of Cincinnati I think comments like this blow things out of proportion about Cincinnati. Where are your facts on this? Any arrests or names of gangs or locations? Please, as a resident, if media or the police are not informing the residents, let me know.

There are no gang problems in Cincinnati. Cincinnati is a great place to live and if it wasn't I wouldnt live here or raise my child here. We could live anywhere we want and we CHOSE to live in the City of Cincinnati because it is a great and SAFE place to live and raise a family. And the preception of this City will never change if we dont stand up to outragous comments like these made by people who do not live in the City or are not involved in their neighborhoods to know fact from fiction.

Last edited by Hartwell Girl; 05-28-2008 at 02:27 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,921,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
good post, cle440. i was talking to some friends this weekend from cleveland and lorain, respectively, and they were telling me about some of the growing gang activity up there. imo columbus is the most ganged up of the ohio cities. it's getting worse and more disrespectful. a gang member flipped over a murdered rival's coffin last week, inciting a big fight between whatever gangs they were. shameless...
Cleveland, Lorain and Elyria have had gang problems for a long time now. In those cities however it is mostly original gangs, that is gangs up people from a certain neighborhood that make up a name for the gang and go on that. However there is all the bigger gangs in the area too but its to a much lesser extent. If you go in Lorain and Cleveland there is Bloods, Crips, MS-13, Latin Kings, GDs, VLs, P Stones, and all the rest, however the original gangs are much more prevalent.

I wouldnt say Columbus has the biggest gang problem in Ohio, from those videos and certain things it is blown way out of proportion. Its to my understanding that Columbus was too small, inexperienced, undefined, and also unorganized, so that allowed for the LA based gangs to take over the gang community in the city. You see this a lot in cities that are inexperienced, they get taken over by other areas gangs. In more experienced cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati- the cities are too experienced, strong, and organized to be taken over by gangs from out of town. Im not sure if I worded that right though. And like I said, there is gangs in Cincinnati, its just not as much as a problem than in other cities.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Cleveland, Lorain and Elyria have had gang problems for a long time now. In those cities however it is mostly original gangs, that is gangs up people from a certain neighborhood that make up a name for the gang and go on that. However there is all the bigger gangs in the area too but its to a much lesser extent. If you go in Lorain and Cleveland there is Bloods, Crips, MS-13, Latin Kings, GDs, VLs, P Stones, and all the rest, however the original gangs are much more prevalent.

I wouldnt say Columbus has the biggest gang problem in Ohio, from those videos and certain things it is blown way out of proportion. Its to my understanding that Columbus was too small, inexperienced, undefined, and also unorganized, so that allowed for the LA based gangs to take over the gang community in the city. You see this a lot in cities that are inexperienced, they get taken over by other areas gangs. In more experienced cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati- the cities are too experienced, strong, and organized to be taken over by gangs from out of town. Im not sure if I worded that right though. And like I said, there is gangs in Cincinnati, its just not as much as a problem than in other cities.
as far as the raw number of recognized gangs and all of the affiliates of primarily a small number of gangs as in LA and chicago, it is a very ganged up city. i live in a crip area and they can't paint over the graffiti often enough. there's a lot of shooting, a ton of police and helicopters, and swat out here serving warrants. you're right, columbus is small and off-brand but trust me, bloods and crips are huge in this town. i would say that of the cities you listed, big chicago and la gangs are the least frequent and not as well respected in cincinnati, if that says anything about the strength of the city. it really is about where you grew up and who you've known for awhile.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM

86 posts, read 415,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
^Um i live in Silverton and have so for 30 years. I have never seen any games. I feel very safe here. There was one double murder a few months back. That was the first murders in 10 years. Silverton is nothing like it's neighbor Kennedy Heights. What is your criteria of a gang? 3-4 people walking down the street with a basketball in their hands???

What does a basketball have to do with gangs?????? Anyway spend some time with Silverton Police and ask them about the gang problems. I meet with them on a weekly basis d/t the double homicide in Silverton September 23rd Sunday night. I know the 2 teenagers who were shot personally. They were all out to my house a week before they were murdered and I had spoken to them on the phone that night 2hrs prior to their murder. I also know the officers @ Silverton police station personally. I call them on their cell phones on a regular basis and occ have had lunch with a few. They can inform you of all the gang activity that is in the neighborhood and close surrounding areas. There is alot of gang activity at the little park on Zinsle Ave and the surrounding side streets...which are still Silverton. There are some quiet areas in Silverton just like any other neighborhood but dont be in denial about the other sections.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 AM

86 posts, read 415,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
When I was young, we walked the neighborhood for something to do. I think a lot of time, people who are paranoid about crime see kids now a days walking around or hanging out in neighborhoods and think of them as gangs. I DO NOT think there is a Gang problem in Cincinnati or the surrounding areas. I know there are young kids who try to make their own neighborhood gangs, but those cannot be taken seroiusly. If you would yell BOO in front of most of them they would run home to their mommies. There are areas some peopel might like to claim as theirs to sell drugs but most neighborhoods stay on top of those things and they can be ran off pretty quickly with a little assistance from the police & neighborhood groups. THis is not some big coverup or conspiracy or denial...there are no gang probelms in Cincinnati.

DENIAL DENIAL DENIAL...This is what is wrong with this city. Granted Cincy isnt as bad as maybe Detroit or others but there is a definate gang problem. There is no conspiracy or coverup its out there and ppl just dont want to believe it. Gang activity is everywhere from OTR to the suburbs...just more defined in some areas. There are alot of decent safe pockets throughout the city...but there's still a problem...LOL. There are some gorgeous & beautiful homes in Wyoming with an awesome school district but go down the wrong street and you have hit Lincoln Hts and everyone knows their gang issues. I used to hang out and talk with their police officers also...You know nurses and police officers...LOL...we always seem to stay connected. They bring them in and we patch them up. Talk to the officers @ University Hospital about the # of gang related incidents they encounter on a daily basis...I was a Nurse there for 3 yrs & could share some stories if it weren't for the HIPPA law.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,862,321 times
There are blood and crip affiliates throughout the whole westside of town. From Pleasant Run/Northbrook down to North College Hill/Finneytown to Westwood to Price Hill. Granted many of these gangs are made up of confused teenagers looking for a reason to start trouble, but they do exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati