Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:20 PM

120 posts, read 237,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherinTN View Post
I bought a home in Loveland! We checked out the west side but there were not a lot of great options for us. Our realtor, who grew up and still lives on the west side said she thought we would like the east side more. She also mentioned that there are more "outsiders" on the east side and that it might be more welcoming and open. I'm not saying this is the case, this is just what she said.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I can't wait to start living in your great city!
Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,975,106 times
Hurry on up. You'll definitely enjoy Friday and Saturday nights in downtown Loveland during the summer. If you don't already have them, start looking on Craigslist for canoes/kayaks. If you're going to live in Loveland, you might as well get a lot of use out of the river.

And if you like craft beer, you have to check out my favorite beer store in the tri-state----Cappy's------perfectly located in downtown Loveland right after you cross the river heading into downtown. These guys know their beer.

http://lovelandcappys.com/

Old 07-29-2015, 09:40 PM

124 posts, read 138,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Hurry on up. You'll definitely enjoy Friday and Saturday nights in downtown Loveland during the summer. If you don't already have them, start looking on Craigslist for canoes/kayaks. If you're going to live in Loveland, you might as well get a lot of use out of the river.

And if you like craft beer, you have to check out my favorite beer store in the tri-state----Cappy's------perfectly located in downtown Loveland right after you cross the river heading into downtown. These guys know their beer.

Cappy's Wine and Spirits
Kayaking and beer! Good to know there is a craft beer place nearby as aim a big IPA drinker. I love the Rhinegeist Truth IPA. Can't wait. We move August 14th!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:03 PM

Just wanted to update everyone in this move to Cincy. Here are my observations so far:

Pros
People are courteous in traffic
People are very friendly (more so than Tennessee) when I'm out and about especially customer service
Lots to do but not as convenient (Loveland)
Weather is nice this year

Cons
Neighbors keep to themselves not as outgoing (boring neighborhood)
Commute and traffic out of Loveland /Milford sucks
Local food establishments not that great
nearest Chick Fil A is 12 miles!

Old 11-19-2015, 06:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,982,214 times
Quote:
Just wanted to update everyone in this move to Cincy. Here are my observations so far:

Pros
People are very friendly (more so than Tennessee) when I'm out and about especially customer service

Cons
It was thoughtful of you to check back in! I hope overall the move to the Cincinnati area has been a positive thing for you and your family. Not at all surprised by your comments about the commute, though, and the Loveland area for that matter.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:26 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
Quote:

Pros

Cons
Welcome!

Thanks for checking in - always nice to get an outsider perspective of things.
If you haven't heard, we're known for being rather "provincial" in these parts.

You hit one BIG downside with a lot of suburbia - neighbors, generally speaking, don't take time to get to know each other unless they have young kids. And even then it's becoming more rare.... people are getting exponentially more fearful by the day it seems, sometimes for valid reasons and other times just because of simple paranoia. And a bubble environment like northern suburbia seems to exacerbate those fears even more - it's far too easy to drive right into the garage, close the door, and never step outside to interact with anyone. But I certainly hope it gets better - I'm sure there are more friendly and welcoming people if you keep looking.

Also bummer to hear about the dismal restaurant choices. Most of the food options are out in Mason, and the majority there is chains (with some good independents mixed in too... Pizza Tower is certainly unique).

It might be worth the drive to Montgomery for some better independent restaurants.

Again, welcome, and please don't be a stranger! Lots of newbies out there that could use your advice!

Old 03-03-2016, 06:52 PM

Just wanted to update everyone on my move now that we've had over 6 months to take it in.

I got a teaching job in a good district and my salary is 10K more than it was in Johnson City, TN. That may not sound like a big increase considering $3000 more in property tax and maybe another $3000 in other taxes, but consider this. I am making more right now than If I had maxed out with 30 years teaching experience in my old district. At this moment I'm doing better financially and it will only go up from here.

I miss the smaller community of JC with it's convenience/slower pace but I'm enjoying Cincinnati a lot. There is certainly more to do with a young family. Tennesse had mountains, pretty outdoors, lakes, camping, rivers etc. But honestly we didn't do it very much. That's still just 5hrs away if I want that experience again.

We love OTR, the sports teams, great breweries, and places to take the kids (Children's museum, Zoo, The Banks and this summer- Kings Island).

I like nostalgia and a city with an identity. Cincinnati provides that with its historic buildings, old parks and all the townships with their own unique character. I feel like I'm part of something now when I watch Reds games and endure the Bengals losing another playoff game. There certainly is a sense of community with all the sports fans. I was a Wire to Wire Reds fan growing up in Oregon. So much so that I got my parents to drive to Portland to get Eric Davis' autograph ($20 charge). 30 years later and I'm bringing my kids to Menard's in Loveland (7 miles from my house) and I'm getting his autograph again for free!

At this point I'm really only disappointed that I have a long commute and I don't have my close friends. Both those things can be fixed. I hope I can make some friends here but "plugging in" may be a little harder in a bigger city. We had a special neighborhood in Tennessee and our new one just isn't the same (more empty nesters that keep to themselves). I will also say that restaurants are not as good. Im sure they are out there but JC was just 60K population and its food was better. We had great Mexican, Chinese, BBQ, Pizza, Italian, Japanese (East TN style). I've been through Loveland, Mason, Milford and nothing is as good. I cannot believe people think Montgomery Inn is good BBQ! We did especially enjoy Taste Of Belgium and Kreugers in OTR! I'm also a Hop Head so I am loving Rhinegeist!! We have so much more exploring to do, I'm sure we will cover more food options.

Last edited by TeacherinTN; 03-03-2016 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 07:12 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
^Saw your post at a good time I guess, glad things are going well, TeacherInTN! (or should I say TeacherInOH?)

I am very sorry to hear about the neighborhood. The suburbs can be a bit isolating, rare are the days when kids run around the cul-de-sac (with how structured kids' lives are anymore and with the constant fear of "something bad happening" it seems like kids spend a lot more time inside or shepherded by their parents to ______). But hopefully with some time you'll be able to break down a few walls and get to know some people haha.

Also, for the food, haha yep! It takes a while to root out the good local places. Here's a couple suggestions from my time in the area:

Mexican - El Meson in West Carrollton and Taqueria Mixteca in Dayton is great if you ever want to make the trek, although the cuisine is certainly not limited to Mexican. For "chain" Mexican, I have always believed the best the area has to offer is El Toro (they do a great job with their restaurants IMO) but not sure if the one in Mason is still there. Used to be in the old Bill Knapp's by Kings Island.

Chinese - Again it's a Dayton recommendation, but China Cottage in Centerville is great, as is Shen's in Vandalia if for whatever reason you're heading north on 75. Closer your way, idk, but I believe there's a good spot in Sharonville/Evendale by the large Chinese grocery store there.

BBQ - I guess Montgomery Inn is something I grew up with, so I love the stuff, but I also feel the same way about Cincinnati chili and know I'm in the minority in comparison to the whole country haha (my Miami friends remind me of that often). Dickey's BBQ Pit is coming to Morrow (is that a big deal in the south?) and I know other people like City BBQ a lot but to be honest I'm not a big fan of it. Again my all time favorite BBQ is not close to you, but in downtown Dayton (Smokin' BBQ) with a very close second going to Hickory River in Tipp City. I have also heard great things about Walt's BBQ in Colerain, that might be worth a shot (close to work?).

Pizza - tricky topic. If I lived where you did, I'd be ordering Marion's all the time from their store in Mason. And topping it off with Milano's arguably better pizza just down the road by the Tylersville exit. But most people don't like their pizza cut into really small squares with salt and cornmeal on the bottom. For a safer choice, maybe Pizza Tower at Fields Ertel? That place is an institution.

Italian - again, very tricky. I know a few good places around Dayton (Giovanni's, Mama Disalvo's, etc.), not so much around Cincinnati, but I will attribute that to a lack of knowledge.

Japanese - I think there's a good sushi/teppenyaki (sp?) grill over at the Voice of America center in West Chester. Maybe try there.

Otherwise, very glad to hear you are enjoying Cincy and good luck!

Old 03-04-2016, 05:07 AM

610 posts, read 797,740 times
Best BBQ in the city is Eli's on Eastern Ave. Cash Only and BYOB. If you go on a Friday or Satruday be prepared to wait at least an hour. It's that popular.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:52 AM

410 posts, read 587,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Best BBQ in the city is Eli's on Eastern Ave. Cash Only and BYOB. If you go on a Friday or Satruday be prepared to wait at least an hour. It's that popular.
Can't rep you again but Eli's is amazing! They have free live music on the weekends in the summer. It's communal seating at picnic tables so you will get to meet people and eat great BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati