Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:57 PM

124 posts, read 138,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio123 View Post
The information on Zillow is, unfortunately, out dated. Hyde Park School reopened for the 2012-2013 school year and serves part of Hyde Park (which used to be at Kilgour), all of Oakley, and a little bit of Evanston. It was rated just as high as Kilgour and many suburban schools on the latest Ohio state report cards.

I can't get the website to come up at the moment but if you google Ohio state report cards you should be able to find all the details.
From what I can tell on the website that school is for the gifted. Then they serve the regular population to a degree. Looking at the teaching staff there is only two regular ed teachers. teacher in K-1 and another teacher that teaches a regular class of 2-3. Most of the staff serves gifted. My kids are
Bright but not of the 95% and up testable variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 07:09 AM

410 posts, read 587,338 times
Hyde Park School is actually 3 schools in one location, a Gifted Magnet (grades 3-6), a regular neighborhood school for students in grades K-3 this year, and a preschool run by ECE.

The neighborhood school program continues to expand a grade each year (4th grade 2015, 5th grade 2016, 6th grade 2017). The Neighborhood Program offers a strong academic curriculum based on state academic content standards in a community setting. Students are assigned to neighborhood elementary schools according to home addresses. The district determines the boundaries for each neighborhood school.

Since there are three programs in one school building ,space is limited. There are two classrooms per grade, per program.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 PM

I just confirmed an interview with Mason City Schools for a math position. I'll be preparing for my interview and researching the school but If anyone out there knows someone who teaches in Mason, It would be great to get some inside information on what to expect. This is very exciting!

Old 05-27-2015, 01:18 PM

120 posts, read 237,658 times
Coming into the conversation late, but all the best with your interview! I finished high school in Elizabethton, right next to Johnson City, and we're moving to Cincy in August. I haven't been back to east TN in years, but it's fun seeing several people with connections to the area. I will say, that contrary to what you're describing in JC, Elizabethton was very racially divided. I wonder if it's just a result of small-town versus "big" city JC?

Regardless, it's both informative and saddening to see how much cultural division there appears to be in Cincy.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnsgrl View Post
Coming into the conversation late, but all the best with your interview! I finished high school in Elizabethton, right next to Johnson City, and we're moving to Cincy in August. I haven't been back to east TN in years, but it's fun seeing several people with connections to the area. I will say, that contrary to what you're describing in JC, Elizabethton was very racially divided. I wonder if it's just a result of small-town versus "big" city JC?

Regardless, it's both informative and saddening to see how much cultural division there appears to be in Cincy.
It's a small world. My wife was a Cyclone! Went to EHS from 92-95. I also noticed that you lived in Oregon. I grew up there! I lived in Eugene and Florence.

Why the move to Cincy? Maybe I'll see you there.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:46 AM

677 posts, read 1,074,264 times
I'm still following this thread as someone who grew up in Cincinnati (very near Mason) and still has family there but now lives in Johnson City. Good luck with your interview and I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the area.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:05 AM

71 posts, read 80,751 times
Hi teacher in TN! I used to be a math teacher for several years myself, and would have loved to have gotten into Mason! Best of luck with your interview! My sorority "little sis" is a math teacher there as well.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 PM

120 posts, read 237,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherinTN View Post
It's a small world. My wife was a Cyclone! Went to EHS from 92-95. I also noticed that you lived in Oregon. I grew up there! I lived in Eugene and Florence.

Why the move to Cincy? Maybe I'll see you there.
How funny!!

I'm EHS Class of '99! Finished the last year and a half of high school there, but started it at Churchill High in Eugene. Gee, we're practically family.

My husband is starting with NIOSH in Pleasant Ridge. He just finished up his Phd at UNC Chapel Hill. We're moving up beginning of August after a month of subletting in Atlanta...which I'd be more excited about if it wasn't JULY in Hot-lanta!

We never would have chosen Ohio, being Westerners, but we've visited and like it. New places always feel busier than once we know the streets, but Cincy is definitely larger than what we've been used to. We're in that horrible stage of knowing we're going but being to soon to find a place for August. Driving me nuts seeing "perfect" places that won't be available by then.

I look forward to hearing about your progress with the districts--best of luck!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 PM

Had my interview today. I felt really good about my answers and think I left them with a great impression. With that said, that is just the first phase of their selection process. If I'm selected in this round I'll have to do a "performance task" and then also be interviewed by the Superintendant. To call Mason affluent is an understatement. The kids are very competitive and intrinsically motivated. Students often test out of their grade level and even get bussed to classes with older kids. It will mean a big change in my teaching style.

Tomorrow I'm going to drive a round Madin and see what it's like. But from what I've seen, it is mainly a long strip of restaurants and big box stores down the main road.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnsgrl View Post
How funny!!

I'm EHS Class of '99! Finished the last year and a half of high school there, but started it at Churchill High in Eugene. Gee, we're practically family.

My husband is starting with NIOSH in Pleasant Ridge. He just finished up his Phd at UNC Chapel Hill. We're moving up beginning of August after a month of subletting in Atlanta...which I'd be more excited about if it wasn't JULY in Hot-lanta!

We never would have chosen Ohio, being Westerners, but we've visited and like it. New places always feel busier than once we know the streets, but Cincy is definitely larger than what we've been used to. We're in that horrible stage of knowing we're going but being to soon to find a place for August. Driving me nuts seeing "perfect" places that won't be available by then.

I look forward to hearing about your progress with the districts--best of luck!
Well, my wife and I graduated Milligan in '99. I lived in Eugene and attended Cal Young Middle School in the late 80's. Then went to Florence for high school.

I understand your pain on the real estate front. We have been looking a lot at houses the past few months. All the ones I like are gone within a few days. Oh well, I don't even
Have a job secured yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati