Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:15 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times

Advertisements

^Welcome back!

I'm short on time, so I'll just point you to this spot that prob marks off all your criteria the best:
Mason Ohio Homes For Sale & Mason Real Estate - Zillow
(If the link doesn't work properly its 5349 Hayden Ln. Condo #5)

It's adjacent to here:
Deerfield Towne Center :: 5503 Deerfield Blvd., Mason, OH. 45040 :: 513-770-0273

If I have time I'll go into some detail about the other spots. Offhand #7, 9, 11, 14, and 15 make little sense, but the other locations are good places to look into more given your criteria and budget.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 03:08 PM

27 posts, read 111,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamonkey View Post
]

8) Montgomery - Very interesting as it seems to check all of our boxes but it seems that not much is for sale and homes are fairly expensive.

9) Blue Ash - I honestly don't know anything about Blue Ash but, from what I've read on these forums, I feel like we need to consider the area. Does it have a downtown? When I'm looking at homes on Zillow, I even have a hard time determining which houses are actually in Blue Ash.

Thanks for any feedback and, for those of you that live in these areas, please tell me what you like about living there. I'm not trying to knock or talk bad about any one area, just trying to find a spot that meets our needs.
As a big Sycamore booster, allow me to weigh in on Montgomery and Blue Ash.

Blue Ash downtown is not nearly as nice as Montgomery if we are talking about day-to-day dining and libations. However, in the summer, the city of Blue ash has some outstanding outdoor concerts and festivals, though those may be moving to the new Summit Park at the former Blue Ash airport. You will find a few decent eateries in Blue Ash (Rascals Deli, Mio's Italian Restaunt, Slatt's Grill and Bar), but I think downtown Montgomery definitely has Blue Ash beat when it comes to boutique shops/restaurants/bars.

Both Montgomery and Blue Ash downtown areas have great access to the Ronald Reagan expressway which will get to 71 and 75 quickly.

It will be easier to get below 350K near downtown Blue Ash, though the houses are not as nice. You won't get the historic houses with character that you see in Wyoming and Glendale. Think 60's and 70s era split levels and two stories. There may be a bungalow here or there. This is probably the best house on the market in Blue Ash below your price range which is walkable to downtown. However, it needs a crap ton of updating!

9682 Delray Dr, Montgomery, OH 45242 Listing Details: Sibcy Cline Realtors® Cincinnati Real Estate

In Montgomery, there is just nothing on the market in your price range right now which is walkable to the downtown area. This house is pending but will give you an idea of what you can find on the market which is walkable to downtown Montgomery. This house is at the very edge of the area which is considered 'walkable'.

7968 Jolain Dr, Montgomery, OH 45242 Listing Details: Sibcy Cline Realtors® Cincinnati Real Estate

Again, please note the style is very 70s era.

If you can stretch your budget and want to be near downtown Montgomery, try to find a house in Swaim Park. It is a fantastic neighborhood with outstanding resale. Things just don't last very long as it is highly desirable due to its proximity to downtown Montgomery.

13034 Coopermeadow Ln, Montgomery, OH 45242 Listing Details: Sibcy Cline Realtors® Cincinnati Real Estate
10049 Wimbledon Ct, Montgomery, OH 45242 Listing Details: Sibcy Cline Realtors® Cincinnati Real Estate

I think the best website is the one I have linked to. You can specify 'Blue Ash', 'Montgomery' in the search parameters (or any of the other areas you have targeted).

In general, there is just very very little inventory in both Blue Ash or Montgomery right now, particularly downtown.

Other thoughts:
Glendale doesn't have much of a downtown does it? I can only think of Grand Finale in terms of eateries. I can't recall any bars.

I have driven through Sharonville, and it is quaint. But not much in terms of nightlife/bars/restaurants. You will be able to walk to the BMV though?

I actually really like Wyoming. But if you think Montgomery and Blue Ash are expensive, then Wyoming is even more so. And less updated in your price range.

I really love downtown Loveland. But, honestly, do not recall much housing stock near the downtown area.

My hipster friends live in Northside and like it quite a bit. But, your commute to Dayton would be much further I would think?

Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
I would have to say that with a commute to Dayton and Cinci - Lebanon really is ideally situated, but since the OP seems to have discarded that -- I agree that renting someplace you already like (Loveland apparently) and then spending 6months to a year driving around and checking commutes is probably the best way to go.

Unless you're not going to Dayton daily, the commute from Northside to Dayton on a regular basis would be quite annoying. That said, Northside is still cited in the "up and coming" neighborhood discussions, though there are still areas within that are a little rough and would probably be uncomfortable for whom safety is a top concern.

Montgomery is awesome (not sure of commute to Dayton, might be a little iffy) for restaurants, etc.. But not cheap.

Glendale has a nice little central square type area, with a few surrounding restaurants - but only coffee/wine in the square. Houses are great and neighborhood is very walkable (sidewalks, safety, trees). Not cheap, but you can find things on the edges that are affordable but may require updating.

West Chester - housing isn't really walkable to all the development on Union Center. Though there are a lot of restaurants/bars along Union Center and within "streets of WestChester".

Mason - downtown (old mason) - a few restaurants (italian mostly) - which is different than Deerfield Township (Mason-Montgomery and Fields Ertl) which is crazy with big box/restaurants/etc..

Don't be a in a rush to lock yourself in, use evenings and weekends to explore -- I'm sure you'll find the place you want to call a long-term home.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:14 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
Wash, rinse, dry, repeat.

Rent, in Loveland. Use the time to figure commutes and activities both near and far. You may end up buying in Loveland, you may not. As a note, I have a coworker who commutes from Anderson (Five-Mile Road Exit) to I-675 and OH-48. I would recommend, after speaking with him, that you plan to build time in during bad weather. If possible, invest in something with AWD, but for heaven's sake don't take a RWD coupe in the snow/rain. We have been lucky so far this year regarding weather (knock on wood) as Dayton at this point a year ago had 27 inches of snow (Oct-mid Jan). This year was something like 8 inches. And at least the construction on I-75 between Union Center and Monroe as well as Monroe and Spirngboro has been completed.

I would say Milford would be as far south as I would go. Probably more in your price range. Montgomery or Blue Ash, IMO would be best, but as has been discussed, it is for the most part above the OP's price point. If you do end up in or near downtown Loveland, try and find back-roads such as OH-48 from downtown Loveland through Maineville. Then take US-42 north to US-35 west. Take the first light and make a right onto Trebein Road. Take to either right on New Germany-Trebein Road to reach Area B, Col Glenn Hwy Office Complexes, and Pentagon Blvd Office Complexes. Continue north on Trebein to Dayton Yellow-Springs to reach gates for Area A. This dumps you next to the B Rd. Gate at its terminus. The Broad Street gate is a little north of that.

I recommend the above route because taking OH-48 through Lebanon and especially Clearcreek Township and downtown Centerville can be a bear in the morning with school traffic being a concern. Downtown Centerville always gets clogged at the OH-48 and south branch of OH-725 because the HS is just down the street. US-42 is freshly repaved and the only lights outside the Lebanon beltway are Utica Road outside Lebanon, Waynesville junction at OH-73 and finally US-35 and Trebein with some surface lights along Trebein. All but the section between the Lebanon beltway and south of Waynesville are dual lane and divided. The Trebein and US-35 interchange is a light for now, but will be transitioning to limited access in the next 3-6 years approximately. This route (OH-48 clear to Lebanon beltway and then US-42 to US-35 and Trebein) to the busy B Rd. Gate is 48.1 miles and takes approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes.

As far as commuting and weather: Stick to backroads in good or wet weather. Take interstates in snow (they tend to clear easier) or don't drive at all. And ice... all bets off, but if you work on base, they have become better at closing in inclement weather (essential personnel still report).

Old 01-21-2015, 08:32 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Lots of good advice after my previous comment so I won't go into much further detail except to hash out some points about what doesn't make sense and why from a practical standpoint. Normally I'm not so blunt, but flames need to be extinguished so you won't waste time looking at bad options.

I will say that Blue Ash does not meet any of your criteria. It's not walkable, no bike trails, no walkable bars and restaurants, no city center to speak of, nothing. It's not a bad community but for you it makes no sense. Montgomery if you can get in would be good, but it's not close at all to Dayton. And a lot of the worst traffic tie-ups in the area are centered near there, 275/71/75 all through there isn't much fun.

Oakley / Hyde Park would just compound the above problems. I cannot emphasize enough how quickly you need to get these out of your mind and off your list if you want to keep your sanity and marriage. Same goes for Northside and Clifton, forget them now and don't bring them back ion the list. They are BAD choices for you!!

Old 01-22-2015, 08:55 PM

24 posts, read 33,004 times
All good info everyone ... thanks.

SWOH - Thanks for the link ... I'm definitely still going to check out Mason area once we get back. It makes too much sense not to. Same goes for West Chester and Lebanon.

cincy_native - Good info on Blue Ash and Montgomery. Sounds like Montgomery is almost ideal for what we're looking for .... unfortunately apparently everyone else seems to think the same thing too. I saw a $300k ranch for sale that was being marketed as a perfect house to tear down for new construction! I've never heard of Swaim Park so I'll have to check that area out. I did find this property though. It's Evendale but appears to be close to Blue Ash. I'm assuming not much is walking distance from it but any thoughts on that area?

Cincinnati Ohio Homes For Sale & Cincinnati Real Estate - Zillow

Briolat - Haven't discarded Lebanon entirely yet. Will have to check it out when we get there. I only remember the Golden Lamb being in downtown last time I lived in Ohio. From what I'm seeing online though, it looks like it's grown a lot too.

wrightflyer - Thanks for driving directions. That's one of the reasons we're considering Loveland. After 10 years of sitting in Boston highway traffic, I'd much rather take back roads during my commute if at all possible.

So as far as Loveland goes. It appears that the downtown has some older houses with character but not much inventory for sale. Outside of downtown, I'm starting to understand what another poster said when he/she said "Dreesville" and "McMansions". I thought they were one and the same but it appears that there are quite different. It looks like there are several cookie-cutter Drees subdivisions and then there are some neighborhoods with massive homes. Since we obviously can't afford a McMansion, if we were to consider some of the surrounding Drees-type neighborhoods, can anyone recommend one that's better than the other? If we were to go that route, I guess we would be looking for a pool community with a decent amount of young families. We'd still like to be as close to downtown as possible ... ideally biking distance or a short drive. Also, I'm starting to look into land/lots for sale but have no idea how much custom home builders cost. Does anyone have any idea if that route would even be close to our $350k budget?

Man, one of the main reasons of moving back was for lower cost of living. Cincinnati real estate prices have gone up in the last decade though. They seem to rival some of the prices in Boston suburbs.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:21 AM

224 posts, read 376,833 times
Alohamonkey, If I were moving to the area with your list of preferences and commutes I would settle in Lebanon and I might buy this house:

http://-www.trulia.com/property/3172...banon-OH-45036

Or maybe this one:

116 MOUND St, Lebanon, OH 45036 | MLS 1431271 | Listing Information | HER Realtors Complete Ohio Real Estate Services

I work in downtown Cincinnati and fly frequently out of Dayton airport. It's not the same as your situation, but somewhat comparable. Previously I lived in Milford (right on Garfield Avenue, close to the downtown) and near Loveland (in a suburban area called Landen) but since 2005 we have been in Lebanon and it has worked out very well. Others have covered some of the pluses and minuses, but if you have any specific questions about Lebanon feel free to send me a direct message. And if you want a walking tour of Lebanon during your visit, I'd be up for that too.

Wherever you end up, welcome to the area!

Last edited by Scott SW Ohio; 01-23-2015 at 06:39 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamonkey View Post
All good info everyone ... thanks.

SWOH - Thanks for the link ... I'm definitely still going to check out Mason area once we get back. It makes too much sense not to. Same goes for West Chester and Lebanon.

cincy_native - Good info on Blue Ash and Montgomery. Sounds like Montgomery is almost ideal for what we're looking for .... unfortunately apparently everyone else seems to think the same thing too. I saw a $300k ranch for sale that was being marketed as a perfect house to tear down for new construction! I've never heard of Swaim Park so I'll have to check that area out. I did find this property though. It's Evendale but appears to be close to Blue Ash. I'm assuming not much is walking distance from it but any thoughts on that area?

Cincinnati Ohio Homes For Sale & Cincinnati Real Estate - Zillow

Briolat - Haven't discarded Lebanon entirely yet. Will have to check it out when we get there. I only remember the Golden Lamb being in downtown last time I lived in Ohio. From what I'm seeing online though, it looks like it's grown a lot too.

wrightflyer - Thanks for driving directions. That's one of the reasons we're considering Loveland. After 10 years of sitting in Boston highway traffic, I'd much rather take back roads during my commute if at all possible.

So as far as Loveland goes. It appears that the downtown has some older houses with character but not much inventory for sale. Outside of downtown, I'm starting to understand what another poster said when he/she said "Dreesville" and "McMansions". I thought they were one and the same but it appears that there are quite different. It looks like there are several cookie-cutter Drees subdivisions and then there are some neighborhoods with massive homes. Since we obviously can't afford a McMansion, if we were to consider some of the surrounding Drees-type neighborhoods, can anyone recommend one that's better than the other? If we were to go that route, I guess we would be looking for a pool community with a decent amount of young families. We'd still like to be as close to downtown as possible ... ideally biking distance or a short drive. Also, I'm starting to look into land/lots for sale but have no idea how much custom home builders cost. Does anyone have any idea if that route would even be close to our $350k budget?

Man, one of the main reasons of moving back was for lower cost of living. Cincinnati real estate prices have gone up in the last decade though. They seem to rival some of the prices in Boston suburbs.
Lebanon is growing.. not as quickly as some would like, too quickly for others no doubt. The recession really put a stop to a number of projects in the area that I would have appreciated .. but que sera!

There are plans for a microbrewery in downtown Lebanon (I believe they are renovating one of the buildings on Broadway as we speak) - and supposedly the old Shoe Factory is the next renovation target by the folks who have rehabiliated/rebuilt nearly the entire block on Main/Broadway. That's is rumored to be targeted as a microbrew/restaurant/shops/event center (Its a very large building, 4 stories).

The village ice cream parlor has recently changed hands, and there are a couple of new eateries on/near broadway (Royce Cafe, and Flavors), and the wine bar always seems to be doing quite well (on Mulberry).

I realize - its not the same as OTR or any of the other larger entertainment districts downtown - but its not quite as hick as some seem to think either.

Commuting wise, we live on the East side of Lebanon (near I-71) and its an easy straight shot into downtown - as long as you plan around rush hour. That wouldn't be any different than Mason or many of the other communities, as the back up on I-71 is really around the Pfeiffer/Kenwood cut area, and then again near the Norwood lateral.

Assuming good traffic (no rush hour), I can be from Lebanon into downtown for an event in about 35 minutes (then of course you've got to park). The commute isn't the reason we don't get downtown as much as we'd like, the fact that we both have to be at work by about 6am is!!

As far as Dayton - it takes us about 40 minutes to get to "The Greene" (BeaverCreek) using Rt 48 north. I've never done it in the morning, but have hit "after work" rush hour a few times. 40-45 is a pretty reasonable estimate. Sometimes a little faster (35 probably best time ever).

The prices in Lebanon (McMansion or otherwise) are fairly reasonable, although if you want a historic home in town, it will still cost plenty. We live in the township (Turtle Creek) just outside the city limits, so we don't pay city income tax, though we still pay Lebanon school taxes (we're in the Lebanon SD).

We chose it due to the costs (lower) and the fact that it was well located to commute to either cincy/dayton. Ironically we both ended up working in WestChester, but should my husband need to move positions - having both the dayton and cinci areas as an option is a plus.

Your plan of securing a rental and then really looking around is a great one. I spent 6 months in the area before we decided to build in the Lebaon area, it gave us time to look in Cinci proper, as well as the outer burbs, to figure out what we felt best about.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:01 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
OP, I know you keep emphasizing the walkability of a downtown, while also a close proximity to Cincinnati to take advantage of all the enhancements going on there.

But I am going to emphasize that commute to Dayton NE. Many assume this has to be connected to WPAFB, though you have not confirmed. Sounds reasonable to me.

I will fully confirm I am a promoter of Mason, having lived here now some 38 years. The wife and I raised our 4 kids here in the same house, the youngest was actually born in the house two days before Christmas in 1976 during a snow storm.

I can appreciate the agonizing over the commute. When I moved to Mason the employment was in Norwood. At one point the I lucked out considerably as the company decided to sell their obsolete factory and build a new one less than 5 minutes (2 miles) from my Mason home. The old Norwood property is now the home of Rookwood Commons, an upscale retail and restaurant establishment.

But back to Mason itself. Initially it was a backwater dirt town based on farming. Of course when I moved here Kings Island had already been built, the great enabler of much of Warren Co. I can see the lights on top of the Eiffel Tower repliica from my house.

During the time we have lived here the transformation of Mason has been stupendous. So well into our elderly years we are still here.

For some references:

1) Mason Schools - among the best in the state.
2) Mason Parks - among the best in the state.
3) Mason Community Center - among the best in the country and the reason why at 70 plus years old we still stay here.

At our age we are less concerned about Cincinnati itself. A nice venue to satisfy our cravings for better dining is Union Center Boulevard, a short hop south down I-75.

In your original post the comment Mason, West Chester and Liberty Twp make the most sense was made. I totally agree with that.

I was raised and grew up in Madeira, a great place at the time. But frankly there is a reason I moved to Mason. We wanted a 4-bedroom house and I was an avid gardener desiring land. Such locations near Madeira such as Montgomery, etc. I was not about to pay the price. So to the hinterlands of Mason we moved.

But considering your commute predicament. From Mason you can connect to OH-741 up through the Otterbein region at OH-63, and on through Springboro and continuing to Dayton. Depending on exact location in Mason taking I-71 or I-75 south to Cincinnati is very doable. I prefer I-71.

You state one daughter at present. I recommend looking at the subdivisions near the Southwest Corner of the exchange of Mason Montgomery and Tylersville Rds. You are virtually on top of the Mason Schools along Mason Montgomery. You are also on top of the bike trails leading to the original Old Mason downtown as well as east past Kings Island and down to the Little Miami Bike Trail. You can bike or walk them. These are NOT new homes but in my opinion the location is superb and they still have very pleasant appearances.

Last edited by kjbrill; 01-24-2015 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Get the time right

Old 01-24-2015, 08:14 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
I have family in Mason, OH its a super nice town you might want to look into, it was named nicest place to raise a family in Ohio by a bunch of magazines but thats why its nice you should check it out to see if you like it, the homes are fairly pricey but you can still get one for around 200k in some parts of Mason and Deerfield Twp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati