Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 AM

156 posts, read 351,087 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid growing up in Wisconsin my great uncle used to always pronounce Cincinnati like "Cincinnatuh" (or "Cincinnata").

I used to hear it from him a lot because we were big baseball fans, and if you talked about baseball in the 70's, Cincinnati was of course mentioned frequently.

One aspect of my uncle was that he was very familiar with Cincinnati as he had traveled there frequently on business.

I recognize that this is probably not how most natives pronounce it now. But I was curious if this was a common alternate pronunciation in the old days among natives that he had picked up on? Or was it simply on older pronunciation for outsiders like my uncle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 AM

477 posts, read 664,381 times
Its increasingly rare, but still heard from time to time. I was riding the Southbank Shuttle (In Northern Kentucky to the city) over Christmas and smiled when I heard the bus driver who was in her 60s say it that way

Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Some people do, some people don't. I have no idea if there's a pattern -- urban, rural, what part of town, ethnic heritage, education level, etc. -- or not. Would be kind of interesting to see if there is a pattern, other than age.

I haven't heard anyone say "Cincinnat-uh" since Don Wayne retired from WHIO news. He also said "Miam-uh Valley."

You'll also hear people pronounce it "sin-snad-dy."

Old 01-27-2013, 01:28 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
WOW, I thought "Cincinnat-uh" was extinct. But it seems that, like the ivory-billed woodpecker, it's still heard now and then. I think it was a product of the Queen City's being not only the Gateway to the South but also a portal to the Midwest. Missouri is the epicenter for rendering word-ending vowels "uh," as in - yes - "Missour-uh." (People who say it that way also tend to "warsh" their laundry.) The person I most remember saying "Cincinnatuh" was born before WWI and had been raised in St Louis. "WWI" is right. She died during the '90s.
My day will be fully made if somebody reports having heard "square" being used instead of "block." ("Plum Street? You need to turn right here, on 7th Street, and go three squares.")

Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 PM

404 posts, read 826,376 times
I was raised to do the warsh on mundee in cincinnatuh. Fridge was an icebox, couch was a davenport, roof was the ruuhf, oysters were ersters and piano was pie-anna. My ancestors are from Ohio/NKy as far back as the 1790 census so this is old fashioned southern ohio river valley pronunciation I assume.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
My dad grew up in the rural small towns outside of Pittsburgh.

When I was a child (growing up in Michigan), he always said "Miamuh", and will even lapse into that now at times. I would imagine he would have said "Cincinnati" the same way "Cincinnatuh".

I assume its a particular regional accent, and perhaps your Uncle had that same pronunciation.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Some people do, some people don't. I have no idea if there's a pattern -- urban, rural, what part of town, ethnic heritage, education level, etc. -- or not. Would be kind of interesting to see if there is a pattern, other than age.

I haven't heard anyone say "Cincinnat-uh" since Don Wayne retired from WHIO news. He also said "Miam-uh Valley."

You'll also hear people pronounce it "sin-snad-dy."
Now that's a blast from the past. Good old Channel 7. Amazingly, Mike Hartsock still does sports there.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM

688 posts, read 1,116,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
I was raised to do the warsh on mundee in cincinnatuh. Fridge was an icebox, couch was a davenport, roof was the ruuhf, oysters were ersters and piano was pie-anna. My ancestors are from Ohio/NKy as far back as the 1790 census so this is old fashioned southern ohio river valley pronunciation I assume.
Classic. My dad says "warsh" and "Warshington"

My wife's mom's side of the family originated around Oxford / Prebble County and though they've moved further north since my mother in law was a girl they all still say "warsh," "tuesdee," and they are the only folks I've ever heard call a toilet a "tor-let." I smile every time I hear it. Almost forget, my wife's grandfather still refers to Cincy as "Cincinnat-uh" so the dialect is still alive out there.

By the way, can anyone recall if Hamilton Joe Nuxal used to say Cincinnati-uh? I'm wondering if it isn't a Hamilton thing.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,053 times
My dad says Cincinna-tuh and O-hi-ah. Cracks me up.

The other one I love to hear (and almost impossible to phonetically spell) is the nasally pronunciation, "Cin-Cin-gnaaat-i"

Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
My father's family (from outside Pittsburgh) - also says Warsh for wash, etc..

My cousin - Charlie -- they always prounounced his name like it was spelled "Chorlie" ... which I thought odd.

like I said - its a regional accent, but not specific to the Cincinnati area, its a broader accent that seems to exist (among other places I'm sure) along the rural Ohio River Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati