Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,513 times

Advertisements

First, I apologize in advance if this has been covered before. I grew up in the St. Louis area, and my family still lives there. For a change of pace, I've decided to make a big box of things that you can either only get in Cincinnati, or things that are from this area to send home with the other christmas gifts. I like how there are things that are still regional, and for most of my family these things will be completely new to them because they've never been here. Suggestions can be anything from Grippos BBQ chips to Bengals/UC shirts...no Reds, because we're Cardinals fans (don't hit me). I'm kind of drawing a blank, because Skyline/Gold Star and LaRosa's can't really go in a box. There is still a lot for me to learn about Cincinnati, so I turn to some of you who have lived here for a while for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 12:37 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Maybe you can't put a Skyline 5-way into a box, but the chili does come in a can. Or you can throw a couple of packets of Cincinnati Recipe chili mix into a box. You can get it anywhere. Throw in some Graeter's chocolates for extra heartburn!

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 11-23-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 02:35 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Google "Cincinnati gift basket" and you're bound to strike pay dirt. From time to time I see ads for such things.
Buy a "schnecken" from Busken or another baker which makes them. I go batsh*t crazy for schnecken and have never found one anywhere else than Cincinnati, even in supermarkets. Pop 'em in the freezer, then cut slices with an extra-sharp knife and reheat "as needed" and serve with cold milk.
Graeter's is always happy to pack and ship some of their most famous product in dry ice. Take note, though - so far the quality seems to have held up, but the company is putting out feelers beyond the Tri-State area. At least in New England you can now purchase a few flavors in Whole Foods and other "high end" grocery stores. So it's not the unique local delicacy it once was.
How 'bout some Stegner's or Worthmore mock turtle soup? Or a block of Glier's goetta?
You can go all-out with potato chips since Husman's is also Cincinnati-made (with even a ketchup flavor) and I've never seen Mike-Sell's outside the Tri-State either. With chips - and many other things - goes beer. Shipping it ain't gonna happen, but if you're road tripping home you could take along some of the brews turned out by Mad Tree, River City, etc.
IMO friends don't let friends eat Cincinnati chili. Why d'ya think the "parlors" are at their busiest after the bars close?

Americans by the million have this inexplicable fascination with team gear, such that "repping" a city or college no longer means you have anything to do with the place. Fortunes have been made through selling the baseball caps of major-league and university teams. Having written that - one of the biggest human interest stories revolving around sports this fall has been the saga of Mt St Joseph including a terminally ill student on their women's basketball squad. So buying Mt St Joe gear would signal your approval of that gesture and also give the recipients a potential conversation piece to put on.

You could also symbolically adopt a zoo animal (cheetahs are going like hotcakes, lol) in the gift recipient's name.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:41 PM

152 posts, read 187,033 times
Rookwood Pottery makes beautiful red cardinal ornaments. They have a shop behind the Senate parking lot. They of course have lots of beautiful things for sale. I just saw they were Cardinals fans. That would look cute in a basket.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:45 PM

152 posts, read 187,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
Rookwood Pottery makes beautiful red cardinal ornaments. They have a shop behind the Senate parking lot. They of course have lots of beautiful things for sale. I just saw they were Cardinals fans. That would look cute in a basket.
Also I would go with Grippos Chips as Husmans is no longer Cincy made. Chocolate bars from Chocolates Latour at Findlay Market. Findlay Market has a cook book they just put out. Maybe a Rheingeist or Madtree six pack. Those are a few things I think would be nice in a Cincy basket.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:08 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Mailing a six-pack generally isn't a good idea.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:32 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mailing a six-pack generally isn't a good idea.
If not packaged right, it can be a disaster, but there's special packaging for beer/wine. A couple very fresh Rhinegheist Truths, Mad Tree Psychology....and Mt. Carmel's Signature Series Douple IPA (trust me---this is awesome beer)---would delight any beer lover.

The idea of a piece from Rookwood is a very good one.

If they're football fans---a Cincinnati Moeller football shirt might be cool----put Griffey's or Larkin's name on the back (the Big Mo is pretty well known in football circles around the country). Google it---there's a bunch of online stores that make shirts for virtually high school in the country. Because I'm a big OSU fan....I got a Chris Spielman, Massillon football shirt.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I think you should include a book of history and/or photos. Amazon has several good looking choices.

Also, I would make a video of your surroundings here so they can see how you live first hand. Put it on a CD.

Skip Graeters.

Skyline and Gold Star are both in cans. Unique to Cincinnati.

I've sent Pompilios Spaghetti Sauce. Technically from Newport, but everyone has seen Rain Man. Its really good.

Last edited by Wilson513; 11-24-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 09:29 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
If you have time, stop in at Findlay Market and see what you can find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati