Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 PM

527 posts, read 709,005 times

Advertisements

Movies, Chinese restaurant. Why not celebrate Christmas? It's awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 11:17 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
No one to celebrate with. Kind of puts a damper on the party!

Closed Christmas Day, but that's half the quoted admission price. So thanks!

Old 12-19-2014, 01:17 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Why not celebrate Christmas? It's awesome!
Why is it assumed that the OP (or anyone) is Christian? Though I suppose anybody could use the day as a reason/excuse for exchanging gifts and putting ornaments on a fake or real evergreen tree.

Guilty as charged for reviving a thread that's been dormant for almost a week - wanted to report that my personal Zoo insider has confirmed that their "open every day of the year" policy is history. (Can't have been for long, but no matter.) The "amminals" are welcoming visitors during the usual hours on the 24th, but have the following day to themselves. And the Website did have it correctly and clearly that the Festival of LED's will not be on display on the nights of Christmas Eve or Day.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:12 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Hubby seems to have forgotten about the hair in the Blue Gibbon food and is opting to go there on Christmas. I didn't remind him. Now if I can just put it out of MY mind. (What is the visceral aversion to eating hair, anyway? Did it do something awful to one of our cave ancestors or what?) If anyone comes across any other Chinese choices, please post anyway!

Old 12-22-2014, 05:06 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Will every Chinese restaurant in the area open for Christmas or just a few? I may be down there late in the day and don't intend to cook on Christmas.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 PM

410 posts, read 587,338 times
I wouldn't count on every Chinese restaurant being open but I did just see this list of who's open on Christmas Day.

Where to eat out on Christmas Day

Old 12-23-2014, 06:11 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Will every Chinese restaurant in the area open for Christmas or just a few? I may be down there late in the day and don't intend to cook on Christmas.
Very few, in my experience.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:05 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
At least a few places are open based upon the article I saw that was posted by Mimi. Will drive around until I find something open or will choose one off that list. Just need a place that will have carryout.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:51 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
I wouldn't count on every Chinese restaurant being open but I did just see this list of who's open on Christmas Day.

Where to eat out on Christmas Day
OMG I just clicked on this link.

Now I really want to go out to eat on Xmas instead of cooking my boring ham...

Especially since husband doesn't get much holiday vacation time (retail!).

Hmmm... yummy xmas brunch!!!! Then I could cook the ham on Friday or Saturday....

I just never should have clicked on that link....

Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
At least a few places are open based upon the article I saw that was posted by Mimi. Will drive around until I find something open or will choose one off that list. Just need a place that will have carryout.
It is a despondent situation when you are looking at a holiday with no organized activity to do, especially not involving friends or family.

But as I read through this thread, the number of people asking about restaurants, etc. which may be open astounds me, especially those inquiring about Chinese. I happen to be one who can take Chinese food or leave it. My likes are probably those adapted to Chinese/American. Never having actually had food in China, the closest being Chinese food in Japan, I may be warped in what I think Chinese food is.

But back to Christmas. My wife and I have both reached an age where traveling is very labored. So we have basically decided our days of travel are over. Some of our kids are widely dispersed, and traveling to them we have decided is not in our repertoire.

Last Christmas, we went to a highly reported restaurant near Union Center Boulevard, Mitchell's Fish Market. While I can't exactly complain about the food/value, I can state a short time later we felt unsatisfied. I also feel we did not get their best due to the Christmas staffing juggle.

This Thanksgiving we decided to try carryout. We investigated Boston Market and found they stated an extra value Thanksgiving Dinner was available for carryout on a limited time frame for Thanksgiving. We decided on that. After consumption we commented it chased off the hunger demons was nowhere close to the satisfaction of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

I am sitting here right now trying to decide what we will have for Christmas. Hopefully I can find a boxed meal capable of being defrosted, warmed, and served.

Quite honestly, for the past several years when we have wanted to avoid cooking, our best result was the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store and Restaurant on Fields Ertel Rd. We had a good portion of the family there and deem it to be the best food/value we have received. For a single, probably not so much.

Hopefully you can decide on a source soon. I frankly think carryout needs to be reheated to restore its original flavor. The best foods which agree to reheating are BBQ. They are frequently better after the reheat than when first purchased. I would suggest some BBQ, a dose of good cold slaw, and some salad with a desirable dressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati