Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 AM

14 posts, read 33,059 times

Advertisements

Good morning, all!

My wife and I are moving in a few months and we're very torn....

Both villages provide a "square" within walking distance, beautiful homes, good neighborhoods, quick commute to work, etc.

What we're having trouble with is this:

Mariemont - will never have to leave the school district K-12, great sense of community, flat terrain (for the most part, on the south side of the square), high taxes

Mt Lookout- we love the hills, would have to move after Kilgour or send our kids to private school (don't have kids just yet, so this is a while down the road), not sure of the community feel?, lower taxes maybe?

Also, any light you can shed on the village pools? This is new to us...we don't all belong to pools in Chicago.

Honestly, any opinions you have of these two towns would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 08:35 AM

41,999 posts, read 75,311,165 times
I can help you with the tax question. Will you be working within Cincinnati's city limits? If so, consider Mt. Lookout. The property taxes are lower in the city. If you live in Mariemont and work in Cincinnati, you'd be paying Cincinnati's 2.1 percent income tax anyway. Mariemont's income tax is 1.25 percent, and only 1 percent is credited, so you'd be paying an additional 0.25 percent to Mariemont in income tax every year.

Welcome to Cincinnati.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:40 AM

Very interesting. Thanks @Ohiogirl81

Old 12-09-2014, 08:46 AM

610 posts, read 799,314 times
Mt Lookout Square has more going on in my opinion. If you all like to be able to walk to a few bars then Mt Lookout makes more sense. It also has Zips Burgers, used book store, CVS, dentist office, coffee shop, Sushi and carry out pizza among other things. Mariemont is very nice too, Dillys Cafe/Bar is very popular. Both are 2 of the most sought after east side areas. I can't help on the pools, believe both are private that require memberships. Not sure on the community feel either since I don't live in either one.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either one, might come down to if you want to live in the city or not.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:49 AM

42 posts, read 70,750 times
Not sure if it has been covered in a previous thread but if you're considering Mt. Lookout because of the nice area and square nearby, you should consider Hyde Park as well. Hyde Park has a town square of its own and is right next door to Mt. Lookout, similarly priced homes. There are parts of Hyde Park from where you can walk to Mt. Lookout Square, Oakley Square and Hyde Park Square.

Also, if school district matters to you and you don't want to navigate CPS, I'd recommend Mariemont. Sure you'll pay 0.25% more in income tax but that's almost definitely cheaper than the cost of private school tuition for 1 child, let alone multiple children.

My 2 cents, best of luck

Old 12-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Thanks @cincydave8 and @wildview

We have (and still are) strongly considering Hyde Park, as well. We are just drawn to the hills of Mt Lookout, coming from the flat lands of Chicago.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:45 AM

41,999 posts, read 75,311,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildview View Post
Also, if school district matters to you and you don't want to navigate CPS, I'd recommend Mariemont. Sure you'll pay 0.25% more in income tax but that's almost definitely cheaper than the cost of private school tuition for 1 child, let alone multiple children.
The OP doesn't have kids yet. If s/he were to pop one out tomorrow, it would still be 10 or 12 years before worrying about secondary education. Heaven only knows what will happen between now and then. CPS could become a model for all urban school districts, for all we know.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:26 AM

42 posts, read 70,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2Cinci View Post

Mariemont - will never have to leave the school district K-12

Mt Lookout- would have to move after Kilgour or send our kids to private school ?
Ohiogirl81

They're clearly considering school district in the choice they make.

While they don't have kids yet it could be in the near future. They may not be looking for a starter home and at a certain age it may be better to look for a forever home, the home they wish to raise their child/ren in. Or maybe not. Yes it's possible CPS could be a "model for all urban school districts" and it's possible that I win the powerball this week. I wouldn't recommend making decisions today on the unlikely hope of some drasticly different reality tomorrow.

If this is a home they want to be in for 20-30 years, the time to consider school district is now, not when the kid is starting secondary school. In my opinion, successful school districts don't start in secondary school, the foundation is laid in primary school.

Anyway, best of luck!

Old 12-09-2014, 11:46 AM

C'mon, no fighting! Ha! Yes, we plan on having kids soon and school district is a big part of our decision making process. We want to be in this home for a long time. Thanks!

Old 12-09-2014, 11:46 AM

4,889 posts, read 13,853,486 times
Terrace Park (combined school district with Mariemont), Madeira, and Wyoming are additional older upscale inner-ring suburbs with small "town centers" - in the case of the latter two - plus topographical diversity and outstanding public education. But when little things count, only Mariemont can claim one of Cincinnati's best ice cream parlors (Graeter's)! OTOH Mt Lookout and Hyde Park alone have walkable night life of any significance.
What it really boils down to is how much the OP wants their future child(ren) to grow up in an insulated affluent suburban bubble (personal bias is showing. ) Since restricted swim clubs were brought into the picture my gut says to go with Mariemont or one of the three other communities I've introduced to the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati