Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:06 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
The topography alone makes Cincy a far prettier city.
You can't eat the scenery, though.
What the topography did historically was help contain neighborhoods so that the massive sprawl seen in Chicago, et al, didn't occur at first. That in turn assisted communities in developing their own unique feel. Of course, with Interstates and the shift of the country into a car-oriented society Cincy also now has subdivisions and shopping centers for miles in all directions.
Politically speaking (somebody's gotta do it) I don't see much difference between the two areas. The city as a whole tends to vote Democrat - granted, many politicians are DINO's - while the suburbs swing right-ward. (Nearby Warren County had the highest percentage of "red" votes statewide in the 2012 election.) As with any place, there are camera hogs and there are efficient officials, and sometimes the twain doth meet. Cincinnati has long been a bastion of conservatism - from time to time bringing on national embarrassment - but there's been a recent and palpable shift more towards a pragmatic yet progressive sort of way of doing things. It won't be another Austin for some time with regard to the music scene, but a few "indie" festivals such as Midpoint Music and Bunbury have cropped up. And followers of more, shall we say, established musical forms are kept satiated by the local symphony orchestra, opera company, ballet, etc.
Something else which has cropped up since the turn of the century has been local beer! (IMHO this is a neat way of returning to the past, seeing as how Da Nati with its sizable number of German immigrants was once home to some four dozen breweries.) Even Sam Adams - which originated in Boston - does a lot of its production there today, partly because its founder grew up in Cincinnati.

The crime issue has been succinctly and effectively addressed up-thread. So I'll expand on it below, but not too much.

Where race and racism are concerned (again, somebody's gotta address it) I also don't see much of a distinction between Kansas City - what little I admittedly know - and Cincinnati. There is no blatant line of demarcation in the Queen City like Troost St in KC once was and may still be. Few parts of town can be called stably "integrated." Interestingly, however, there are several sections which underwent significant "White flight" only to have it stop in its tracks or at least slow down. By the same token, the "sundown" communities of my youth have shaken that label and have evolved in their diversity to an extent. Cincy is a "up South" sort of place to this day even so. In the "mixed" neighborhoods, as elsewhere, there tends to be little cross-racial interaction - people get acquainted and then keep their distance. The main issue these days is the substantial AA "underclass" residing in/near subsidized housing and in certain sections of the city. Public schools vary widely in academic quality, and it takes being "connected" and of the mindset that values education to avail oneself of the best choices. Policing has moved in a positive direction after some mayhem in the streets occurred in 2001, following the latest in a string of fatal shootings by cops of - yes - unarmed men. In fact it's gotten to the point that law enforcement types from Cincinnati are offering their services to cities where the same issue has arisen recently. But there's still considerable crime dependent on where you are and what you're doing. How this measures up against KC isn't my call to make.

BTW you can't eat the Cincinnati scenery, but you can enjoy some of the best locally-made ice cream anywhere as well as some good craft brews (preferably not at the same time, naturally.) Whether the variation on chili that's available at "parlors" all over town is awesome or not is a matter of taste. It's definitely KC for the win as far as ribs and BBQ are concerned, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 07:46 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
One thing that should be noted is that there is still a border war of sorts between many people that live in Kansas and Missouri with the other state. I don't sense there is as much hostility in the Cincy area between KY and OH though I can tell from having talked to people in KY (including the Louisville area) they don't seem to like Indiana and especially Indianapolis. Have heard this from years from people in or from KY including a guy I worked with in KC who was from KY.

Just be aware that if you move to KC you will actually find some people still seem to be fighting the Civil War, in both states. Pathetic if you ask me. I had family on both sides (from my Father's side) in that war and we all seem to have gotten over it by now.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:15 PM

688 posts, read 1,118,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Crime rate statistics are useless, because they are too general and don't pinpoint locations, causes, or relationships between people. Cincinnati is VERY safe, even in "sketchy" neighborhoods, compared to other areas of the country. Your chances of being a victim of violent crime are extremely small as long as you aren't involved in drugs or get involved in some sort of domestic violence dispute. There have been issues around the University of Cincinnati that get sensational headlines, but again, I don't think that is atypical for an urban campus. Property crimes can be more of a problem depending on where you live, but that's true of anyplace. Worries about being a victim of crime in Cincinnati is not high on the list of most locals.
Not to mention a lot of crime goes unreported versus a decade ago or longer. Police are overburdened and I have been told by friends in law enforcement there is political pressure to underreport things such as racial violence. To be clear this is not a Cincinnati problem but rather a nationwide phenomenon. Cincinnati is somewhat unique in that it has a self-loathing media as opposed to where I live now where news that might embarrass the City of its flagship university get swept under the rug or relegated to the back page of the paper as opposed to gracing the front page as would be the case in Cincy.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,189 times
I lived there for 45 years! Got sick and tired of the crime and the condition that the city was in! Just visited the area last week and it seemed so much worse...dirty, over built! I have been gone 17 years and won't be going or moving back there at all! But I do have a lot of friends that are still there several are planning to move away soon others still seem to like it! I guess in the long run it is what you make it...I just felt that after the 45 years I spent there it was no longer the effort to make anything of it! And don't let anyone fool you...there is a lot of crime and a lot of racial problems...if someone tells you no to either one of those statements they are either lying or they have no clue! Just do your home work before you move and if you want an honest idea of the crime...the kind you won't read in the Enquire....get a Police Scanner App for your iPhone or iPad and tune it to the Cincinnati Police and the Hamilton County Sheriffs channels....you will get an ear full especially at night and on weekends!!! Sorry but it is the truth and I guess if no one wants to believe me then that's their prerogative! I left for a reason and I did a lot of research first and found a better place! Crime is still around but not as bad as it was 17 years ago in Cincinnati! And one more thing....my children didn't go to Cincinnati Schools they were horrible don't know if they still are but every year my children brought home firms to sign stating that they were going to be at their same school for the next year because of what "the school" called White Flight! That is the gods honest truth!

Old 12-18-2014, 05:53 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,585,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiplessasiwasknownas View Post
I lived there for 45 years! Got sick and tired of the crime and the condition that the city was in! Just visited the area last week and it seemed so much worse...dirty, over built! I have been gone 17 years and won't be going or moving back there at all! But I do have a lot of friends that are still there several are planning to move away soon others still seem to like it! I guess in the long run it is what you make it...I just felt that after the 45 years I spent there it was no longer the effort to make anything of it!

And don't let anyone fool you...there is a lot of crime and a lot of racial problems...if someone tells you no to either one of those statements they are either lying or they have no clue! Just do your home work before you move and if you want an honest idea of the crime...the kind you won't read in the Enquire....get a Police Scanner App for your iPhone or iPad and tune it to the Cincinnati Police and the Hamilton County Sheriffs channels....you will get an ear full especially at night and on weekends!!! Sorry but it is the truth and I guess if no one wants to believe me then that's their prerogative! I left for a reason and I did a lot of research first and found a better place! Crime is still around but not as bad as it was 17 years ago in Cincinnati! And one more thing....my children didn't go to Cincinnati Schools they were horrible don't know if they still are but every year my children brought home firms to sign stating that they were going to be at their same school for the next year because of what "the school" called White Flight! That is the gods honest truth!
Dirty and overbuilt? Nonsense. Especially being overbuilt, there is a lot of demand downtown right now and that is why you see (or don't since you no longer live here) so much new development going on.

There is still plenty of crime in the area, but these days it's usually nowhere to be found where most people spend their time. I go downtown fairly often and never felt threatened.

I'll give you the public schools. They aren't anything to write home about, aside from one or two exceptions.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Dirty and overbuilt? Nonsense. Especially being overbuilt, there is a lot of demand downtown right now and that is why you see (or don't since you no longer live here) so much new development going on.

There is still plenty of crime in the area, but these days it's usually nowhere to be found where most people spend their time. I go downtown fairly often and never felt threatened.

I'll give you the public schools. They aren't anything to write home about, aside from one or two exceptions.
I agree with your assessment. Anyone who supposedly lived here for years and then have been away for years stating the City is horrible just doesn't have any real knowledge.

Cincinnati has been booming everywhere you can count. OTR has been rejuvenating to the point it may rival, or better yet surpass, its first incarnation. I will say surpass since it was originally an overcrowded next to a slum. What is going on there now is anything but. It will rival any happening area in any city in the country.

The downtown area along the river is a gem of redevelopment. I am 74 and remember the squalid which was along the riverfront, produce warehouses, scrap yards, you name it, anything but desirable for human habitation. Today it is a beautiful parkland to inhabit and enjoy the river.

As you progress towards uptown you encounter massive developments like the Banks for people to both live and socialize in. The Banks is just now entering its next phase of development which will exceed the original.

To me, a large number of buildings downtown are being converted from their original purpose into either hotels or condo residences for an increasing affluent downtown residency. Everywhere you look in downtown Cincinnati you see signs of renewal and progress.

To say the City is just dirty and full of crime is a horrible misstatement. The last several years have seen a rebirth in Cincinnati which will match any other city of comparable size anywhere in the country. And us Cincinnatians who have been born and raised here will scream this to our heart's content.

I am an old Cincinnatian who currently lives about 25 miles north of the river. My currently is 38 years and just across I-71 from Kings Island. I hear all of their nightly fireworks clearly.

My point is, when out of state and asked where I am from the reply is Cincinnati. My local surroundings, Kings Island, Mason, etc. are still to me part of Cincinnati. I still have two children who live in Cincinnati. I have two others who live in Paris, KY (nice place) and Honolulu (military).

Anyone who wants to knock Cincinnati, I am ready to take you on.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,545,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiplessasiwasknownas View Post
I lived there for 45 years! Got sick and tired of the crime and the condition that the city was in! Just visited the area last week and it seemed so much worse...dirty, over built! I have been gone 17 years and won't be going or moving back there at all! But I do have a lot of friends that are still there several are planning to move away soon others still seem to like it! I guess in the long run it is what you make it...I just felt that after the 45 years I spent there it was no longer the effort to make anything of it! And don't let anyone fool you...there is a lot of crime and a lot of racial problems...if someone tells you no to either one of those statements they are either lying or they have no clue! Just do your home work before you move and if you want an honest idea of the crime...the kind you won't read in the Enquire....get a Police Scanner App for your iPhone or iPad and tune it to the Cincinnati Police and the Hamilton County Sheriffs channels....you will get an ear full especially at night and on weekends!!! Sorry but it is the truth and I guess if no one wants to believe me then that's their prerogative! I left for a reason and I did a lot of research first and found a better place! Crime is still around but not as bad as it was 17 years ago in Cincinnati! And one more thing....my children didn't go to Cincinnati Schools they were horrible don't know if they still are but every year my children brought home firms to sign stating that they were going to be at their same school for the next year because of what "the school" called White Flight! That is the gods honest truth!
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?? Where'd they dig this one up? A hint of paranoia, I'd say.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:21 AM

610 posts, read 798,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?? Where'd they dig this one up? A hint of paranoia, I'd say.

Yeah, what the heck is he talking about???? What part of the city did he go to?

To say nothing's changed in downtown in OTR is complete nonsense. I work in OTR and just roll my eyes when suburbanites (or anyone) talk about how dangerous it must be. I challenge anyone to try and get a table with less than an hour wait at any of the restaurants along Vine Street on a Friday or Saturday night. Just last Friday The Eagle, Senate and Tavola were still running 1 hour long waits at 9pm.

I beleive your chance of being a victim of crime is very small if you use common sense and don't have a drug problem.

Last edited by cincydave8; 12-19-2014 at 05:40 AM..

Old 12-19-2014, 06:20 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,975,106 times
The condition of downtown Cinti (inclusive of OTR, The Banks, and Central Business District) is exponentially better than it was 12 years ago when I moved here. It's improved so much it's not really possible to put a number on it. 2x better? 5x better? 10x better? Pick a number.

The only big area I realistically see for improvement is a more modern arena which would bring bigger concerts and conventions. And I suspect that's going to happen in the next 10 years. The politicians and local business leaders saw how we could have had the Republican National Convention with a better arena. Sometimes you need a jolt like that to get the wheels turning.

But other than that, Downtown rocks. (and USB Arena is still fine for 75% of all events like Disney on Ice and most concerts). Just continue to build-out OTR and the riverfront area / The Banks---aggressively recruit new businesses....and it's going to continue to improve.

I'd also like so see where the city and private developers can identify a part of town with a cluster of dilapidated houses with no historical significance----raze them and build new houses in the $200k-$500k range----some folks like new housing---give them the ability to build their homes in the City rather than going outside the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati