Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,046 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a home that is older that was advertised with a home warranty. The seller made repairs after the inspection and all seemed well. After moving in we found there is a major issue with our plumbing vent stack and every time we use the shower, do a load of laundry or dishes our basement and house smells like a sewer. This is something that should be covered by our home warranty and when I asked our buyers agent where the info for our home warranty was she contacted the listing agent and was told that although the home was initially advertised with one it was a typo and the sellers opted not to purchase one. It was never removed from the listing and still shows it was advertised with one according to zillow. Does this fall on our buyers agent or the listing agent, and what can we do about it? We do not have the funds to take care of this right now and the home warranty was part of the reason we were ok with buying this older home. This is hazardous to my family and I am extremely upset that I didnt catch this, but feel that is why we hire a buyer agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 06:10 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,517,336 times
You will have to look at the contract. If the warranty is mentioned there, there will a chance the seller will have to provide it. If not, I am pessimistic about your chances. But, as always, you should consult a lawyer for the real answer (which you should have done when you bought the house).

The Lawyers Referral Service of the Cincinnati Bar Assoc. will have some folks you can consult, maybe for free. (513) 381-8359

Old 12-29-2014, 06:17 PM

777 posts, read 1,875,930 times
Listings are notoriously inaccurate, so, WOW, you signed the sales contract and agreed the the stated terms without noticing there was no provision for a home warranty? You and your agent did not do their due diligence. Unlikely you have any recourse. Sorry.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,835,555 times
I have to agree with the last two opinions expressed by Wilson and Iggier. If you signed a sales contract which made no mention of a home warranty I believe you are out of luck, regardless of what was mentioned in advertising. You also state the seller made certain repairs after the home inspection. If the plumbing stack problem was not detected by the inspection that is not the seller's fault.

I also agree with consult a lawyer, likely your only hope.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:32 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,953,423 times
you can probably have the stack cleared out by a plumber many times over for the cost of hiring a lawyer.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,517,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
you can probably have the stack cleared out by a plumber many times over for the cost of hiring a lawyer.

He will probably get a free consultation to see if he has any legal redress, and once he messes with the problem, which may or may not solve it, his chances fo recovery are over. Hence, the recommendation.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:53 PM

150 posts, read 172,288 times
Contact the home inspection company. If their agent goofed they may send a plumber to fix the problem.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:52 PM

209 posts, read 503,656 times
Also if the vent stack is clogged you can unclog it by flushing a water hose down the stack. Sometime leaves get clogged in the stack. Go to your local Home Depot and in the plumbing dept. ask for a bladder that screws onto the end of you garden hose. I have used these several times to unclog vent stacks. Very easy to do should you choose to go this route. Sorry to hear about no HW. but you may or may not get it, but in the mean time you can get your stack unclogged. Does the tub or toilet drain ok?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:58 AM

15 posts, read 13,328 times
The biggest issue I've seen when we had a home warranty is that we had no control over who was used, and you don't necessarily get a competent professional.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:12 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,833,466 times
You have to look at your P&S. The listing sheet and seller disclosures are not official documents and do not survive closing, i.e. they don't mean anything after the closing. This is something your real estate attorney is supposed to catch - it's a basic part of their job to compare the listing to the drafted P&S to make sure everything that should be included is included before it becomes a fully executed document.

Did you use an attorney or did you cheap out and just have your real estate agent review the P&S before you signed it (I am unsure of real estate laws in OH so forgive me if using an attorney is mandatory)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: