Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Cincinnati tolerable to all races and mixed couples?
Yes 26 48.15%
No 12 22.22%
Maybe 17 31.48%
Not a chance 5 9.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:18 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
I don't know what to make of this. I have lived in a handful of cities in my life. I also regularly travel all across the country for work. I have never heard, seen, or otherwise witnessed anything like the last two stories you describe. Maybe this helps to explain my incredulity of this topic.

I don't believe these stories. I see them as pure projection of the claimant's own racism projected onto others. I pay attention to this kind of stuff, and I am out and about a lot, and never saw or heard anything like this either.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:10 AM

410 posts, read 586,841 times
Full disclosure: Adult White Woman

I have heard similar degrading racist, sexist, homophopic things from acquaintances over the years here in Cincinnati.

The real question is how do YOU react upon hearing the slur? My response is always negative. This may be nothing more than a shake of the head. This is not appropriate to me and I will always let the person know.

The more times people are informed that their slur is unacceptable, maybe it will be less likely they will be to share their ignorant viewpoint.

Silence reads as agreement.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:17 AM

688 posts, read 1,117,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
Full disclosure: Adult White Woman

I have heard similar degrading racist, sexist, homophopic things from acquaintances over the years here in Cincinnati.

The real question is how do YOU react upon hearing the slur? My response is always negative. This may be nothing more than a shake of the head. This is not appropriate to me and I will always let the person know.

The more times people are informed that their slur is unacceptable, maybe it will be less likely they will be to share their ignorant viewpoint.

Silence reads as agreement.
I disagree. As I've stated above, I travel often and I cannot ever recall hearing someone use racist language with impunity in a public setting. However, I imagine if I were to hear it I would swiftly act to remove my person from the vicinity of the offending individual because clearly that individual is a loony tune. Sorry but I'm not going to be a martyr over some mentally unstable or volatile individual that clearly has such a delusional concept of society they would use such language in the manner described in some of the prior posts.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:41 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
I've come to the realization that the people that continue to claim we live in a racist society (collective view) and smear either an entire region, state or even the country, only serve to create further division among people and perpetuate what racist issues that may still exist, into bigger problems.

There is little question there are still; plenty of racist individuals in the USA. Whites, blacks, Mexican's etc. La Raza is essentially a group of people known for their hatred of anyone that is not of Latino Heritage. Just as bad as the KKK in some ways since some of their members out west have actually used violence against many Blacks in the cities. And as Walter Williams likes to say, the NAACP is nothing more than the "Tan Clan". By that he means the KKK in a different shade.

To label the entire region of Cincinnati as racist is pure BS. It is simply a blatant lie. I can't think of one city or region that can be labeled as such in the entire country in this day and age. Not one.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
I don't know what to make of this. I have lived in a handful of cities in my life. I also regularly travel all across the country for work. I have never heard, seen, or otherwise witnessed anything like the last two stories you describe. Maybe this helps to explain my incredulity of this topic.
Same here.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:51 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I've come to the realization that the people that continue to claim we live in a racist society (collective view) and smear either an entire region, state or even the country, only serve to create further division among people and perpetuate what racist issues that may still exist, into bigger problems.

There is little question there are still; plenty of racist individuals in the USA. Whites, blacks, Mexican's etc. La Raza is essentially a group of people known for their hatred of anyone that is not of Latino Heritage. Just as bad as the KKK in some ways since some of their members out west have actually used violence against many Blacks in the cities. And as Walter Williams likes to say, the NAACP is nothing more than the "Tan Clan". By that he means the KKK in a different shade.

To label the entire region of Cincinnati as racist is pure BS. It is simply a blatant lie. I can't think of one city or region that can be labeled as such in the entire country in this day and age. Not one.
Most Mexicans I met when I was vacating in California hated blacks and a lot of Asians as well and people say California is one of the most socially tolerant and liberal places on earth, racism can happen anywhere, can we move on. This post was BS to begin with on the whole, but everyone has their own opinions based on their experience

Old 01-18-2015, 02:38 PM

33 posts, read 29,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Well, I've been called racial slurs in person on numerous occasions. I even had someone come to my house, call me a "handicap n*****" multiple times, and threaten to hang me from a tree when i lived in Norwood. I'm not saying that the entire region is racist, but racism definitely exists in the area.

The NAACP is absolutely nothing like the right wing terror group known as the kkk. They've never hung people from trees, burned crosses in anyone's yard, burned down churches, or bombed entire neighborhoods like the klan has.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:59 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0de_M0nkey View Post
Well, I've been called racial slurs in person on numerous occasions. I even had someone come to my house, call me a "handicap n*****" multiple times, and threaten to hang me from a tree when i lived in Norwood. I'm not saying that the entire region is racist, but racism definitely exists in the area.

The NAACP is absolutely nothing like the right wing terror group known as the kkk. They've never hung people from trees, burned crosses in anyone's yard, burned down churches, or bombed entire neighborhoods like the klan has.
Never said there were not racist people in the area. They exist everywhere. But to label an entire city or region as racist in this day and age is absurd.

I have had more than my fair share of the same stuff you've mentioned and I am not a minority. People will find a reason to hate and threaten other people for no other reason than they are rotten.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0de_M0nkey View Post

I am glad that I don't believe you. But, you are obviously troubled. Seek help from the social service agencies in Cincinnati. Start with the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and they will refer you to someone who can help you.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:49 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
^Um how is he troubled? Things happen and has happened. Because it has not happened to you does not mean it does not happen to anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati