Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:50 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyrunner View Post
Thank you SWOH. I will take a look at Clifton and keep looking in Wyoming.

Yes the school thing has my head swimming. Saw a house in Sycamore Twp, but they don't go to Sycamore schools??? It's a bit overwhelming. In the northeast you find out what school is good and then you move to that town. I didn't realize how easy we've had it.

In terms of modern, this is actually more my style:

REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

Single Family Homes For Sale - 1 Homes - Zillow

But I know these houses are few and far between.

Again, thanks so much for your time and knowledge.
Maybe or maybe not. It all depends on the school district boundaries, which do not align perfectly with municipal boundaries in many cases. For instance, Sycamore Twp is a disjointed township because it contains and has been heavily annexed by Montgomery and Blue Ash.

haha and yep I read you loud and clear on modern! Thanks for links to those houses. Clifton Gaslight is definitely your best fit. There's not much on the market right now, but a month or two ago there were 3-4 stunningly modern houses on the market there. Hyde Park probably isn't a bad choice either, but it would be a street-by-street analysis there. I could do that for Dayton, but not for Cincy. I don't know the ins and outs of it that well.

I went back and reviewed the photos of the house I posted.... don't know why I remembered it being more modern than it actually is. That specific area of Middletown has some modern houses, but unfortunately that wasn't one of them. Oh well.

As for other options, I'd maybe look at some of the newer builds in Terrance Park. If there are any. Same goes with Maderia, possibly Montgomery. All have some potential for a house like what you would want.

It might be a kinda bizarre strategy, but if you are 100% set on modern I'd get in contact with the University of Cincinnati's highly-ranked and accredited DAAP program. Ask a professor or two there where the modern houses are in Cincinnati, and I'm sure they could give you a nice list of streets/developments where they would be. And a lengthy discussion on who built them and why they are located there as well haha. Regardless, I'm betting Clifton Gaslight has the best collection in the area.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 02:23 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
No one's mentioned West Chester despite one of the couple's being employed in Hamilton. I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you. Fairfield is a viable alternative as well IMHO.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyrunner View Post
We're a bi-racial family moving from the NYC area to Cincinnati. We are hoping to find a 5 BR (preferably modern) home in an upscale community with access to good schools and some diversity. My husband will be working in Hamilton. I mostly work from home. I'd rather not have a lot of land so neighbors are close enough to get to know and my kids can make friends on the block. from what I've seen online, I'd say less than an acre if possible. I'd love to hear any suggestions of neighborhoods or towns you could offer. Thanks in advance.
I suggest you look in West Chester which I believe involves the Lakota school district. It should meet most if not all your criteria and be convenient to work in Hamilton. My posting apparently crossed with the one above, thus this edit. It's a serious and I believe meritorious suggestion, despite my personal dislike for the further-out suburban sprawl. Hamilton itself would not probably be a good place for you.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:11 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I suggest you look in West Chester which I believe involves the Lakota school district. It should meet most if not all your criteria and be convenient to work in Hamilton. My posting apparently crossed with the one above, thus this edit. It's a serious and I believe meritorious suggestion, despite my personal dislike for the further-out suburban sprawl. Hamilton itself would not probably be a good place for you.
I was certainly going to question why not look for a much shorter commute for the hubby to Hamilton. Both West Chester and Liberty Twp.s are Lakota Schools, a fine district. And the western portion of Mason is also pretty reasonable to Hamilton and Mason Schools are noted as among the best in the area. Also don't forget a good portion of Deerfield Twp south of Mason is Mason City Schools district.

Far as diversity, this region is becoming more diverse more rapidly than ever before. A large number of people from Asia are moving here as they search for good schools.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:22 PM

OP, I found your house:
25 Michelle Ln, Fort Thomas, KY 41075 is For Sale - Zillow

It's in beautiful Ft. Thomas KY, home of excellent views, great public schools, and easy access to Cincinnati.

Good luck! It's the only house on the market that (basically) meets all your criteria. It doesn't have five bedrooms and it is over one acre, but it is 3,000 sq. ft. and the land is mostly maintenance free wooded land. And it's about a 30-35 minute drive to Hamilton.

Last edited by SWOH; 02-11-2015 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 09:51 PM

^Also the house is a 15-minute walk from the elementary, middle and high school.... adjacent to a nice neighborhood with mature trees, older houses, and probably a lot of kids.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:04 PM

549 posts, read 849,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
OP, I found your house:
25 Michelle Ln, Fort Thomas, KY 41075 is For Sale - Zillow

It's in beautiful Ft. Thomas KY, home of excellent views, great public schools, and easy access to Cincinnati.

Good luck! It's the only house on the market that (basically) meets all your criteria. It doesn't have five bedrooms and it is over one acre, but it is 3,000 sq. ft. and the land is mostly maintenance free wooded land. And it's about a 30-35 minute drive to Hamilton.
Wow! That is beautiful and sounds exactly like what the OP is looking for. Too bad it's so far away from Hamilton. The good news is that it's a reverse commute and the Big Mac Bridge doesn't back up too much in the morning.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:17 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Wow! That is beautiful and sounds exactly like what the OP is looking for. Too bad it's so far away from Hamilton. The good news is that it's a reverse commute and the Big Mac Bridge doesn't back up too much in the morning.
Yeah. It's a ridiculous commute. An hour if the OP is lucky. Why on earth would anyone go to the far south part of the metro area when they work NORTH of the far north of the area? When there are a TON of good neighborhoods and school districts half the distance or less?

Old 02-12-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah. It's a ridiculous commute. An hour if the OP is lucky. Why on earth would anyone go to the far south part of the metro area when they work NORTH of the far north of the area? When there are a TON of good neighborhoods and school districts half the distance or less?
Actually, I double checked and the commute is exactly 40 minutes. Depending on where they work in Hamilton, it could be as little as 35 min.

There are virtually no modern houses in the area. It's a tall order to work around, but the one in Ft. Thomas is a beauty. Clifton Gaslight doesn't even have a house that is THAT perfect for the family. And to make it even better, within easy walking distance up the hill from the house are all the schools their children would attend. In a top-rated district for either side of the river.

I can't imagine them not going for this house....

Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Seems like some just don't recognize what a commute can take out of your life. I did it for several years and then my company moved to my backyard. Believe me those were the best years of my life, less than 5 minutes to work. When I realized how much I had lost with longer commutes. Know not everyone can achieve this. but believe me strive for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati